post game interview

BRUMP
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2173 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So HS varsity, 1/4 of the prep tournament (prep schools do a separate additional tourney). top 6 in a close game. R1 and R2. Basehit to F9. F9 fields and throws the ball before R1 and the BR have achieved 1b and 2b respectively. The ball deflected off of F3 (cutoff man) after R1 and the BR achieve 1B and 2B respectively and ends up going out of play as BR is just about at 2b. And R3 is just about at 3b. call is made, quick chat between my and my partner and we both have the same thing and are certain leaving us with R2 and R3. Of course HC is incredulous but what else is new? The parents aren't much better. This team loses on a walkoff in bot 7 and as we are walking out a parent asks us "respectfully can i ask you a question" to which i replied "respectfully no." I get changed, leave and stop at a wawa about 5 min away before my hour drive home and a guy approaches me and asks me if i just did the *school name* game to which i replied "yes." He then identifies himself as media and is looking for a quote on the play. I respectfully tell him "I don't have a comment" and refer him to NJSIAA for anything further. First time ive ever been "chased down" by media postgame. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, BRUMP said:

So HS varsity, 1/4 of the prep tournament (prep schools do a separate additional tourney). top 6 in a close game. R1 and R2. Basehit to F9. F9 fields and throws the ball before R1 and the BR have achieved 1b and 2b respectively. The ball deflected off of F3 (cutoff man) after R1 and the BR achieve 1B and 2B respectively and ends up going out of play as BR is just about at 2b. And R3 is just about at 3b. call is made, quick chat between my and my partner and we both have the same thing and are certain leaving us with R2 and R3. Of course HC is incredulous but what else is new? The parents aren't much better. This team loses on a walkoff in bot 7 and as we are walking out a parent asks us "respectfully can i ask you a question" to which i replied "respectfully no." I get changed, leave and stop at a wawa about 5 min away before my hour drive home and a guy approaches me and asks me if i just did the *school name* game to which i replied "yes." He then identifies himself as media and is looking for a quote on the play. I respectfully tell him "I don't have a comment" and refer him to NJSIAA for anything further. First time ive ever been "chased down" by media postgame. 

I believe you and your partner

Really hard hit ball or lazy R1?  

Is F9 running laps for throwing to the wrong place.

First, handled perfectly. 

Second, if your league/association allows, why not hear the sports writer's question?  Now, if he asks a ridiculous and loaded question, then say "no comment" and walk away.  However, he may simply ask, "can you explain why the runners were put on second and third on that overthrow?"  When you explain it, he may actually say, "I understand," and you may just get a story that reflects positively on you and our profession as a whole.

With that said, this is not a criticism of you.  You certainly have the right to say "no" to questions, and you may not feel comfortable taking a question (of course, you may not be allowed to talk to the media per conference rules).  I'm just adding that many sportswriters are actually quite fair and want to know the answer (rather than coming at you with a preconceived bias).  If that writer was one of those types of journalists, you may have had a chance to educate some of the crazy fans when they opened their paper the next morning.  That's all.

Great job!

2 minutes ago, lawump said:

Second, if your league/association allows, why not hear the sports writer's question?

Key condition. NJ is apparently its own little world, but OHSAA prohibits officials from speaking to the media about HS games we have officiated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

I believe you and your partner

Is F9 running laps for throwing to the wrong place.

R1 and R2, why wouldn't you want your F9 coming up throwing home??  He didn't throw to F3...F3 was the cutoff.

From the NJSIAA Baseball Policies for umpires:

Umpires shall not talk to Media or post on Social Media comments on rulings. After officiating a high school baseball game, any questions from the media are to be referred to Tony Maselli, NJSIAA Assistant Director. Game officials shall respond, “NO Comment”, when asked a question about a ruling or play.

Officials shall refrain from commenting or offering a ruling on a play situation in a game that they were not involved in.

The above also pertains to posting comments on social media sites as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

R1 and R2, why wouldn't you want your F9 coming up throwing home??  He didn't throw to F3...F3 was the cutoff.

The OP said close, nothing about R2 being the tying or go-ahead run. I expect R2 to score on a base hit. I want to keep R1 at 2B.

16 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

Little bit of both

15 hours ago, lawump said:

First, handled perfectly. 

Second, if your league/association allows, why not hear the sports writer's question?  Now, if he asks a ridiculous and loaded question, then say "no comment" and walk away.  However, he may simply ask, "can you explain why the runners were put on second and third on that overthrow?"  When you explain it, he may actually say, "I understand," and you may just get a story that reflects positively on you and our profession as a whole.

With that said, this is not a criticism of you.  You certainly have the right to say "no" to questions, and you may not feel comfortable taking a question (of course, you may not be allowed to talk to the media per conference rules).  I'm just adding that many sportswriters are actually quite fair and want to know the answer (rather than coming at you with a preconceived bias).  If that writer was one of those types of journalists, you may have had a chance to educate some of the crazy fans when they opened their paper the next morning.  That's all.

Great job!

As @Kevin_K mentioned Im not allowed to. If I was, I probably would've only answered under the condition that my name was not used. Nothing against that gentlemen or reporters as a whole, I just wouldn't want my name used regardless. Being quoted as a "game official" would've been fine tho. 

15 hours ago, maven said:

Key condition. NJ is apparently its own little world, but OHSAA prohibits officials from speaking to the media about HS games we have officiated.

The NJSIAA is definitely its own world. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

The OP said close, nothing about R2 being the tying or go-ahead run. I expect R2 to score on a base hit. I want to keep R1 at 2B.

That's what the cutoff man is for.  The throw home is shorter than the throw to third.   If you're expecting R2 to score you're expecting R1 to reach third on a hit to F9.   I want the throw going home every single time with F3 in position to cut and throw to three or two if necessary.

• Like 1