Tag up and ball out of play

Guest Eric
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2479 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

10u baseball. 

Ball hit to of.  Of makes catch, runner did not tag from 3b, but leaves base prior to catch in attempt to score.

Ball thrown back to inf and goes out of play. 

Does runner from 3b score? 

9 answers to this question

Note also that R3 can (likely) correct his mistake of leaving early, even while the ball is dead. The specifics depend on the timing and the rules code:

1) R3 is still between third and home -- under all codes, R3 can correct his error (return to third and touch it before proceeding to home) as long as he does so before reaching the plate.  Once he reaches the plate, he cannot legally return to third.

2) R3 has reached home, but has not reached the dugout -- under OBR, R3 can correct his error (by retouching the plate (although this is not really needed under the "last time by" principle), retouching third and then again touching the plate).  Under FED, the runner cannot legally correct his error.

3) R3 has reached the dugout, or proceeds to the dugout after the ball becomes dead -- under all codes, R3 can not legally correct his error.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LRZ said:

Jimurray, if you are responding to my point, I was responding to this, in the OP: "Ball thrown back to inf and goes out of play," which meant, I assume, that the ball entered DBT.

I wasn't clear. If the continuous action throw to the infield was actually a throw to 3B attempting to appeal an obvious leaving early, which went out of play, the defense still gets a chance to appeal in relaxed action in FED and OBR. It's possible that that throw was an appeal to 3B during live action as a normal throw to a cutoff would probably not have a direction which would take it out of play.

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

I wasn't clear. If the continuous action throw to the infield was actually a throw to 3B attempting to appeal an obvious leaving early, which went out of play, the defense still gets a chance to appeal in relaxed action in FED and OBR. It's possible that that throw was an appeal to 3B during live action as a normal throw to a cutoff would probably not have a direction which would take it out of play.

Ball misses cutoff and, of course, nobody is covering, and nobody else moves, so ball rolls all the way through first base side dugout opening.   Or a community field with just a backstop, no fencing along baselines.  Or, if it's a typical 10U community diamond, ball rolls to back stop and goes under the curled up fence.

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

If the throw to the infield was to 3B as the appeal throw a relaxed action appeal would still be allowed in FED and OBR.

On the FED point... if R3 is still doing something I don't care how loud the defensive coach is yelling for a verbal dead ball appeal I am ignoring him until R3 either scores and goes to the dugout or returns to 3rd for a retouch. Don't be that guy who goes "yep! you are right, he left early' and bang R3 out when he has not exhausted his opportunities to fix his error. Not R3's fault the D messed up and threw the ball out of play... no need to give them an advantage for that gaff.