1 hour ago, Jerry Springfield said:

Is it legal for the bass Runner to overrun a base yet stay on that base with their helmet?

PCA did this at 2nd base in the Cubs versus Mets game today. 

Was the helmet on the base and the runner was five feet away?  No - not legal.

Was the helmet on their head while it was touching the base?  Yes

Was the helmet in their hand?  No

Was the helmet in their hand, but their hand was also touching the base?  Then yes.

Was the helmet on their head, but the head wasn't attached to their neck?  Then no.

Edit: just watched the video on MLB - I'd venture to guess this call was kicked...helmet isn't being worn properly...I suspect if the call was challenged it would have been overturned.

On a more serious note, this is in Definitions in OBR:

TOUCH. To touch a player or umpire is to touch any part of his body, or any uniform or equipment worn by him (but not any jewelry (e.g., necklaces, bracelets, etc.) worn by a player).

(Touch) Comment: Equipment shall be considered worn by a player or umpire if it is in contact with its intended place on his person.

So if the helmet is not in contact with its intended place (his head) on his person, then HE is not touching the bag. This is not like a fielder touching a bag with his glove while the ball is in his other hand. In that case, the glove is in contact with its intended place (his hand) on his person.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it (until proven wrong, anyway).

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, mw94 said:

I cant believe the Mets did not challenge that ?

Archive is now posted. Met's didn't even get time to ask for what U2 saw.* It was an RBI too.

* Can you ask anymore or is challenge the only option? If you ask it will be more than the 20(?) seconds allowed to challenge so you'd be s.o.l if you don't like the answer.

28 minutes ago, Velho said:

Archive is now posted. Met's didn't even get time to ask for what U2 saw.* It was an RBI too.

* Can you ask anymore or is challenge the only option? If you ask it will be more than the 20(?) seconds allowed to challenge so you'd be s.o.l if you don't like the answer.

I think you could clarify the rule with the ump first and then your 20 seconds would start.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

I think you could clarify the rule with the ump first and then your 20 seconds would start.  

Sounds too rational an approach to me.

So if the player had taken his helmet off between bases and then was tagged on the held helmet -- would that get an out?

What if the batter rounded first base still carrying the bat and that bat was tagged would that get an out?

-steve

41 minutes ago, UmpAgain said:

So if the player had taken his helmet off between bases and then was tagged on the held helmet -- would that get an out?

Alright, now things are getting interesting...

so, if he does a headfirst slide with his helmet held in front, or his shoe held in front or throws his belt out in front while still holding on to it, if that object reaches the base first, he is safe, as long as he is still in touch/holding/ in contact with that object.

so instead of growing a half a foot taller and being able to reach a base quicker with our body, we now just reach out with a helmet, shoe or belt or even carry the bat and get an extra 36 inches extension and reach the base quicker.

• Haha 1