Umpire Bingo Card Square--Punched!

834k3r

NFHS. R3, 1 out.

Pitch is delivered, ticks off the top of the catcher's glove, and lodges got stuck because of my obvious interference between my elbow and my CP. I called time and the F2 asked where the ball was. I grabbed the ball with my other hand from my elbow and told F2 "right here" as I handed him the ball.

I only wish R3 would've tried to advance, so I could've sent him back to 3rd.

Edited by 834k3r
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, 834k3r said:

Pitch is delivered, ticks off the top of the catcher's glove, and lodges between my elbow and my CP. I called time and the F2 asked where the ball was. I grabbed the ball with my other hand from my elbow and told F2 "right here" as I handed him the ball.

Hooooooooooo boy. 🫣 

I’m going to bring this up before one of the more By-the-Book, LotL guys do… 

Was this a lodged ball (pitch) or Umpire Interference? 

56 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Was this a lodged ball (pitch) or Umpire Interference?

Umpire interference, definitely umpire interference. 😉

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Velho said:

Umpire interference, definitely umpire interference. 😉

I would agree with you… and join in the emphasized winking. 

Because, the alternative is the 😱😬🫣 Lodged Ball call… which →… R3… 

… is… 

😬 

My point is not to be harsh, or hyper-critical. My point is try and make us (and @834k3r) aware of the rule, which some other umpires will be rather… particular about. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MadMax said:

I would agree with you… and join in the emphasized winking. 

Because, the alternative is the 😱😬🫣 Lodged Ball call… which →… R3… 

… is… 

😬

My point is not to be harsh, or hyper-critical. My point is try and make us (and @834k3r) aware of the rule, which some other umpires will be rather… particular about. 

OP edited to clarify. 😉

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 834k3r said:

18 hours ago, dumbdumb said:
Expand  

Other than the batter was RH, it was precisely like that one.

😬 Eeeeeeeeeeeee… 

If you read the surrounding report, it was called / deemed a Lodged Ball (article uses the “wild pitch” moniker), and R1 and R2 were both… advanced 1 base. 😱

… 

Ya sure you couldn’t get the thing to drop to the ground? Ya know, like if you had called Time … I don’t know… like, with both hands??

• Haha 1

Just now, MadMax said:

😬 Eeeeeeeeeeeee… 

If you read the surrounding report, it was called / deemed a Lodged Ball (article uses the “wild pitch” moniker), and R1 and R2 were both… advanced 1 base. 😱

… 

Ya sure you couldn’t get the thing to drop to the ground? Ya know, like if you had called Time … I don’t know… like, with both hands??

The book answer is for sure R3 should've come home, and next time I'll make sure to call time with both hands up 😉.

The field I was at was one of those fields:  patches of crab grass for an infield, backstop made of pressure-treated 2x6s and literally 6-8 feet of space behind me before the backstop. Probably a half dozen passed balls and not a single runner tried to advance because of how lively the backstop was.

I kicked the award, and will certainly not make the same mistake again.

• Like 1

I actually was a BU to a first year PU two weeks ago that had a lodged ball near his bicep.  The catcher started looking for it and two to three beats later, the PU lifted his arm and caught the ball in his hand.  So I had to call it a lodged ball.  I just hope that no one heard me saying 'drop it, drop it, drop it' under my breath during the time it was lodged.

• Like 3