Oh, thank goodness

Velho

It maybe the worst baserunning in the history of the game, that play by play call is one of the best in the history of the game. Never gets old. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Richvee said:

It maybe the worst baserunning in the history of the game, that play by play call is one of the best in the history of the game. Never gets old. 

Jon Miller's one of the best.

• Like 2

I had a play with similar sentiment Saturday. 12U LL, F2 blocked the plate, runner came in and would have been "out" if F2 held on to the ball - he ended up not so I didn't have to call the OBS. I wasn't scared to call it, I had it right (and the coach told me so after the game), but just better for everyone to let the play take care of themselves and us not have to get involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Velho said:

I had a play with similar sentiment Saturday. 12U LL, F2 blocked the plate, runner came in and would have been "out" if F2 held on to the ball - he ended up not so I didn't have to call the OBS. I wasn't scared to call it, I had it right (and the coach told me so after the game), but just better for everyone to let the play take care of themselves and us not have to get involved.

I've found there's still value in calling that OBS. It communicates to F2 (and his coach) that his positioning was a violation, though one whose penalty lapses once the runner scores. And, better than a "word to F2" after, it demonstrates that you had the call in real time.

FED makes it easy to call this and yet leave the ball live, but with the throw getting away from F2 we could probably do that for OBR as well. Just don't want the defense to gain an advantage from their OBS (namely, if it's type 1 and we have to kill it, other runners couldn't advance on the wild throw). 

• Like 2

Yes, order of occurrence. 

BTW, I don't usually verbalize (much less point) "ball's on the ground." I generally don't need to do that: my safe call in such plays is so slow, usually by the time I signal safe, everyone already knows about the ball.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 11:07 AM, 834k3r said:

Jon Miller's one of the best.

Nothing beats...Adiossssssssss! Pelotaaaaaaaaaaaa! Jon Miller is 2nd on my list to only Vin Scully. He gives you that feeling like you're at the ballpark with a favorite uncle. He is so experienced, so talented, so knowledgeable and so prepared. His command of verbs especially is all-world. The best of them know the season is 162 games and the English language offers lots of great choices and use them. I am not a Giants fan nor am I a Dodgers fan but, great broadcasting is part of the game's heritage and tradition. When Scully was on, when Miller is on...you tune into those guys. They can make some random game on a Tuesday night sound like the greatest thing ever. Their enthusiasm is palpable and infectious! If you have XM radio, they frequently carry the SFG radio broadcasts with Miller although he does break up the game, hand over the mic to a backup and go and work regional TV for a few innings. This is my go to listen after working a game...

~Dawg

• Like 2