MLB Ejection 234 - Dan Bellino (6; Brian Snitker)

bellitker.png
3B Umpire Dan Bellino ejected Braves manager Brian Snitker (foul ball no-call by HP Umpire Shane Livensparger; QOCN) in the top of the 2nd inning of the #Cubs-#Braves game. With one out and two on, Cubs batter Jeimer Candelario took a first-pitch fastball from Braves pitcher Darius Vines for a called first strike, ruled a passed ball by catcher Sean Murphy that allowed Cubs baserunner R3 Cody Bellinger to score and R1 Seiya Suzuki to advance to second base. Replays indicate the pitched ball first made contact with the batter's bat before passing the catcher, the call was incorrect. At the time of the ejection, the game was tied, 1-1. The Braves ultimately won the contest, 6-5, in 10 innings.

This is Dan Bellino (2)'s 6th ejection of 2023.

This is the 234th ejection report of the 2023 MLB regular season.
This is the 107th player ejection of 2023. Ejection Tally: 107 Managers, 93 Players, 34 Coaches.
This is Atlanta's 4th ejection of 2023, 4th in the NL East (MIA 14; PHI 11; NYM 6; ATL 4; WAS 3).
This is Brian Snitker's 6th ejection of 2023, 1st since Sept 9 (Bill Miller; QOC = U [USC-NEC]).
This is Dan Bellino's 6th ejection of 2023, 1st since July 26 (Martin Maldonado; QOC = U [Fighting]).

View the full article

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

EVERYTHING must be reviewable!  This happens in a post-season game, that'd really be bad, and avoidable!

I agree, I think EVERYTHING outside of balls/strikes should fit in the current review system.  If a coach wastes his challenges on something without sufficient camera coverage, thats on him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

EVERYTHING must be reviewable!  This happens in a post-season game, that'd really be bad, and avoidable!

I'm with you...Let's say the reverse of this happens and then some...

The batter "appears" to foul off a pitch. Plate kills it immediately. The ball carroms off the backstop and ends up down the first baseline. The bases were loaded. The play is reviewed. Turns out it was NOT fouled off and it WAS a passed ball. How many runs score? Does it matter if Ricky Henderson was on base? If Ernie Lombardi is on base?

~Dawg

7 hours ago, ErichKeane said:

I agree, I think EVERYTHING outside of balls/strikes should fit in the current review system.  If a coach wastes his challenges on something without sufficient camera coverage, thats on him. 

There was a time when I would have agreed with this.  However, I actually like the ball/strike challenge process that is being tested.  Here is my trade off:

EVERYTHING is on the table to be challenged, and I'll even say we can give balls/strikes a separate "bucket" to pull challenges out of ... HOWEVER, there is NO allowable delay while they call upstairs and have somebody else take a look at it first.  INSTANT challenge only.

5 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

I'm with you...Let's say the reverse of this happens and then some...

The batter "appears" to foul off a pitch. Plate kills it immediately. The ball carroms off the backstop and ends up down the first baseline. The bases were loaded. The play is reviewed. Turns out it was NOT fouled off and it WAS a passed ball. How many runs score? Does it matter if Ricky Henderson was on base? If Ernie Lombardi is on base?

~Dawg

If Ernie Lombardi is on base, I have bigger things to worry about ... 

im-726485?width=1280&size=1

51 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

There was a time when I would have agreed with this.  However, I actually like the ball/strike challenge process that is being tested.  Here is my trade off:

EVERYTHING is on the table to be challenged, and I'll even say we can give balls/strikes a separate "bucket" to pull challenges out of ... HOWEVER, there is NO allowable delay while they call upstairs and have somebody else take a look at it first.  INSTANT challenge only.

Oh, I'm a big fan of the current MiLB ball/strike review process, but I think that needs to remain a 'separate' challenge system, since it goes so quickly. 

The lack of delay for normal challenges would be really interesting as well!  1 modification _I_ had was "the review official has a fixed (SHORT)" amount of time in which they can only watch it at real-time speed.  If it isn't pretty clear that way, leave it to the umpire's call.

On 9/29/2023 at 9:05 PM, The Man in Blue said:

I think that's what's being tested...I believe in the MiLB areas this is being tested the batter/catcher/pitcher have something like 2 seconds to challenge the call.

The one thing I'd say should NEVER go to video review is check swings....you're just getting a third opinion at that point.   The only way I could see it working is if ten people in the video room all agree one way or the other.

• Like 1