NFHS Umpire declares forfeit?

Tog Gee

Question

I have seen videos of umpires forfeitting a game on behalf of a team whose coaches/players/fans are behaving terribly. I don't know what rule set was being used in the videos. I think perhaps the umpire just decided to forfeit the game against a team out of complete frustration.

Is there anything in the rulebook that allows for this sort of penalty? I don't see anything.

6 answers to this question

In NFHS rules, the umpire can declare a forfeit in certain instances.

Rule 3-3-1 (L-Q) penalty details some of those instances.

Rule 4-4-1 details additional circumstances in which umpires can declare forfeits.

4-4-1(e) could be used when coaches and players get out of hand. You could issue the warning to the team, and then forfeit.

Rule 10-2-3(h) can be used to forfeit games for infractions by spectators, coaches, and players. It reads, The umpire in chief duties include: "Forfeit the game for prescribed infractions by spectators, coaches, players, and attendants."

There are similar examples and rules in OBR, as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Toggy said:

I have seen videos of umpires forfeitting a game on behalf of a team whose coaches/players/fans are behaving terribly. I don't know what rule set was being used in the videos. I think perhaps the umpire just decided to forfeit the game against a team out of complete frustration.

Is there anything in the rulebook that allows for this sort of penalty? I don't see anything.

When left with no other option. Go nuclear. 

• Like 1

I actually saw a forfeit on the grounds @Beerguy55 states......

On field fight.....Umpires efforted to cool it off, then benches cleared, and it got really ugly. UIC stood back writing uniform numbers down. Once sanity was restored the original instigators, a few assistant coaches and those that came off the bench to join in were ejected.

Game forfeited. 

I had the same situation myself that Stan W describes: Last Fall tourney of the year, 18U team, last game they will play together (maybe forever) - I have the plate, two man umpire crew:

Before incident: no issues with any players, BUT both HCs got into it in 3rd inning when HC of offending team tried to get a balk call from my partner on a windup that had a slight hesitation on the initial step back, and the other HC chimed in on the commentary - we shut it down immediately and no other issues until:

Close game (VT up by 2), bottom 6, offending team (HT) at bat, instigator starts with a double. After a pop out, there is a groundball to RF has instigator rounding third heading home. Throw beats instigator by a large margin (no real chance to score) and runner 10-12 feet from plate, so did not start slide yet. Runner goes way out of basepath and I call him out (still several feet from plate, and a good 4 feet from catcher and basepath), so catcher pivots with ball to throw to second to attempt to get BR trying to advance and....

Instigator tackles catcher like a Defensive End coming in for a sack, including swiping the arm to prevent the throw and cause a "fumble".. As I recover from shock and call time, he continues the tackle by pulling the catcher to ground across the plate, which puts me between the tackle and the mound. It looks like he is putting a choke hold on the kid so I first start to go in to break it up, but then realize he is just holding him not choking and I stop and step back. Immediately, there are several players from the HT (offenders') team jumping on the two making a pile at home plate, and my spidey sense goes off (how did they react to the fracas quicker than the pitcher or other defenders?) So I back up and start noting numbers...

Both teams have members joining in, and even a parent came on the field and was restrained by a quick-thinking coach. coaches and the TD broke it up.

Immediately, the TD turned to me and said that we should call the game and both teams will get a 7-0 loss in the tourney. I told him actually, no need, game can be called by forfeit to the HT - I had enough of their numbers to eject which left them with only five players to continue, and the other team would still have at least 9. I told him that I think it was an ambush by the HT, and the other team did not instigate as far as I know. We told the HCs and called the game a forfeit on the HT.

I found out later that the kids on the offending team planned to have a season ending brawl for their last game together, and when nothing was happening in this last game and it was getting late, the instigator let the bench know he would start something that inning.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2