Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1277 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted
barnes-ej.png
HP Umpire Lance Barrett ejected Dodgers catcher Austin Barnes (ball two call; QOCY) in the bottom of the 5th inning of the #Dodgers-#Diamondbacks game. With one out and the bases loaded, Diamondbacks batter Corbin Carroll took a 1-0 slider from Dodgers pitcher Shelby Miller for a called second ball. Replays indicate the pitch was located over the outer half of home plate and near the hollow of the knee but within the buffer margin-of-error range (px 0.09, pz 1.41 [sz_bot 1.49 / RAD 1.36 / MOE 1.44]), the call was correct.* At the time of the ejection, the Diamondbacks were leading, 11-3. The Diamondbacks ultimately won the contest, 11-6.

This is Lance Barrett (16)'s 1st ejection of 2023.
*This pitch was located 0.36 vertical inches from being deemed an incorrect call.

This is the 6th ejection report of the 2023 MLB regular season.
This is the 5th player ejection of 2023. Prior to ejection, Barnes was 0-2 in the contest.
This is Los Angeles' 1st ejection of 2023, T-1st in the NL West (LAD, SD 1; ARI, COL, SF 0).
This is Austin Barnes' first career MLB ejection.

View the full article

Posted
12 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Video has been removed?

The link here on U-E is bad. Go to YouTube directly and search for this, it's there. It's a good one...wait until you see Barnes jerking his mitt like a Little Leaguer...

~Dawg

  • Like 1
Posted
30 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

The link here on U-E is bad. Go to YouTube directly and search for this, it's there. It's a good one...wait until you see Barnes jerking his mitt like a Little Leaguer...

~Dawg

Oh yeah, that was some awful receiving IMO.  I find myself wanting to tell catchers at the younger ages that you're actively harming your pitchers by doing that...

  • Like 1
Posted
23 hours ago, ErichKeane said:

Oh yeah, that was some awful receiving IMO.  I find myself wanting to tell catchers at the younger ages that you're actively harming your pitchers by doing that...

Delete that "want" and tell them! JV and Varsity, discretely tell the catcher directly. 14U on down, grab F2 AND the coach between innings and tell them together. "Don't jerk the mitt, just freeze it and hold it. Let me see the pitch."

~Dawg 

  • Like 1
Posted
Just now, SeeingEyeDog said:

Delete that "want" and tell them! JV and Varsity, discretely tell the catcher directly. 14U on down, grab F2 AND the coach between innings and tell them together. "Don't jerk the mitt, just freeze it and hold it. Let me see the pitch."

~Dawg 

By Varsity it can be a difficult ask - but at JV I am letting them know often.  When you jerk that pitch back, it makes it look bad/outside.  Catch and stick it and receive it well and I can get you a strike there instead.  Let me help you and your pitcher out, work with me.

  • Like 1
Posted

I don't want to be 'coaching' the players!  But yeah, I got a feeling even most coaches don't really get the strategy for framing pitches.  I grew up as a catcher and studied/learned it, but clearly you can be an MLB catcher and still not know.

  • Like 1
Posted
7 minutes ago, ErichKeane said:

I don't want to be 'coaching' the players! 

I didn't either when I started out, but after several marathon walk-fest's I quickly figured out that I could do more than just call pitches while I'm back there.   I don't technically "coach" anyone, but I suggest that we can get more strikes if they help me out.  If you do it right, no one but you and F2 and maybe the batter knows what you're doing. 

Everyone wants more strikes! :wave: 

I mean, everyone... the pitcher, the coach, Mom, Dad, Grandma & Grandpa - even the batter would prefer there are more strikes.  Do yourself a favor and let the catcher how to get more of them! :stir

  • Like 2
Posted
46 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I didn't either when I started out, but after several marathon walk-fest's I quickly figured out that I could do more than just call pitches while I'm back there.   I don't technically "coach" anyone, but I suggest that we can get more strikes if they help me out.  If you do it right, no one but you and F2 and maybe the batter knows what you're doing. 

Similar here. With the LL pitches at the eyes or chin (that some call strikes) and that the pitchers really wants (especially the curve the only kind of curves and do so late) I'll say "not the chin/eyes. Got to bring it down / break earlier". Catchers nod or say yes. I do that so F2 can tell F1 and calm him down from the histrionics. Doesn't 't always seem to work but I've demonstrated to F2 that I'm willing to help make this better.

Posted
43 minutes ago, Velho said:

Similar here. With the LL pitches at the eyes or chin (that some call strikes) and that the pitchers really wants (especially the curve the only kind of curves and do so late) I'll say "not the chin/eyes. Got to bring it down / break earlier". Catchers nod or say yes. I do that so F2 can tell F1 and calm him down from the histrionics. Doesn't 't always seem to work but I've demonstrated to F2 that I'm willing to help make this better.

If you have F1 histrionics? Send F2 out there, "Go out and talk to your guy. Tell him to settle down, please..." and then brush the plate so, it's all part of the show...

~Dawg

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...