Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5632 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

FED. Runner(s) on base. As pitcher is coming set he shrugs his shoulders as he takes a deep, relaxation breath. The shrug of the shoulders is complete before or as he comes to a complete stop. I have nothing. But what if he takes his deep/relaxation breath and shrugs his shoulders after he comes to a complete stop?

  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Interesting.

Before and/or as he comes to the stop, not a balk.

After the stop, I'd have to see it but he's definitely taking a big chance on a balk. Visualizing it, I'd say balk. If I was a runner and I saw the shoulders go up, especially if he did it quickly, I'd definitely feel "deceived". But if it was super-slow like he was taking a breath and his shoulders didn't go up and down very far, maybe notquestion1.gif. Again, I'd have to see it.

Posted

I agree with Roger. Even though FED sometimes goes to far in specifying specific moves the general interp is that its a balk to feint a pitch or a throw to first. Its up to the umpires judgement what constitutes that.

Posted

I hate balks. As I visualize the OP, if he is just shruging his shoulders with no turn involved I probably have nothing unless it's a quick flinchy like movement. I agree, need to see it.

Posted

I hate balks. As I visualize the OP, if he is just shruging his shoulders with no turn involved I probably have nothing unless it's a quick flinchy like movement. I agree, need to see it.

I see this a lot in rec ball or young travel teams, especially when F1 is a bit fatigued or the tension is running high. Unless it's super blatant or involves any "turn", I generally disregard it...

Posted

Thanks for the responses. I agree that in most cases, with a slight upward movement of the shoulders, I would not call a balk. But, the other night I had a pitcher on two different occasions that took a deep breath where his shoulders came up and touched his neck. It was a very exaggerated movement. I did not call a balk, but the more I thought about it after the game the more I felt that it should be a balk.

Posted

I had a pitcher in a game yesterday that did it on every pitch while in the set. Never called it.

I did get him on a no-stop, though.

Posted

You can't tell the pitcher, "Don't breathe!" So, no balk.

Obvisouly, if you're working higher level games you need to guage the situation and intent. But for youth ball, I'd leave it be.

Posted

I hate balks.

Interesting comment. Care to clarify?

(never heard an umpire say this before)

I will call them when I see them. It almost always results in someone pissed and then after you call one every move from every pitcher from then on is under scrutiny and at times it sounds like your on a chicken farm rather than a ballfield. Balk....Balk....Balk. It gets better at higher levels but still seems to be one of the most misunderstood rules in baseball. Again a lot of that is directly related to the fact that I work a lot of LL and middle school games and I think is supported by the number of balk threads we discuss on this board daily. However, I hate balks was really just a tongue and cheek statement, it's part of the job.

Posted

I am a big caller of balks. I do not get balk being yelled by everybody. I shut it down and let them know that balk is a word reserved for umpires.

Posted

I am a big caller of balks.

I would be willing to bet that was not always so. I am in my fourth season and have already called more balks this season than I have the other three put together. It's a confidence thing, a knowledge thing and an experience thing.

Posted

I am a big caller of balks.

I would be willing to bet that was not always so. I am in my fourth season and have already called more balks this season than I have the other three put together. It's a confidence thing, a knowledge thing and an experience thing.

I agree 100%. As I have explained in other threads, I was a centerfielder, I knew squat about balks so I spent a lot of time reading, watching, asking other umpires and discussing on the internet. I am now pretty proficient at it, I can explain it and very little grief. Any coach or player yelling balk is shut down pronto.

I had a travel coach complain about me balking his LH pitcher. I told him he was coming toward the plate then stepping to first. The coach says he can't do that. I told him I knew that, hence the balk. He said, no,no,no, he physically can't do that. I told him he can , he did , he got balked.

Posted

I hate balks.

Interesting comment. Care to clarify?

(never heard an umpire say this before)

I will call them when I see them. It almost always results in someone pissed and then after you call one every move from every pitcher from then on is under scrutiny and at times it sounds like your on a chicken farm rather than a ballfield. Balk....Balk....Balk. It gets better at higher levels but still seems to be one of the most misunderstood rules in baseball. Again a lot of that is directly related to the fact that I work a lot of LL and middle school games and I think is supported by the number of balk threads we discuss on this board daily. However, I hate balks was really just a tongue and cheek statement, it's part of the job.

Like Mike said, shut that down early. My first ejection of an Assistant Coach (in LL) was for using that word. He shouted it once from the 1B coaches box early in a game and I explained to him that that word is reserved for umpires and instructed him to not use it again while he's on the field. A couple if innings later, he not only said it, he repeated it while staring at me. :wave: Bye-bye! At the next game he & I were at, he asked me before the game why he wasn't allowed to say it and accepted my explanation. BTW: He was wrong each time.

Confession time: The very first balk I ever called was a day after receiving and watching a balk video (not the Jim Evans one; still haven't seen that one) so I was ready! Armed with my new knowledge and brimming with confidence as I went into my 3rd LL Juniors game, I waited . . . perched like a hawk . . . I was not going to let one get by me. Then, it happened - shoulder turn to 1B - 'Balk!'

F1 looked at me, confused, and said, "I wasn't even set yet." :unsure: Oops!


×
×
  • Create New...