Interesting Read about Facts Behind Bad Sporting Behavior

SJA
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1787 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

All I know was that I decided to attend a State Meeting one time and the Head of the State Athletic Association spoke and said the number one reason officials were telling his office that caused them to quit was the deportment and unsportsmanlike conduct of the 'coaches' towards the official. 

Now, nothing was mentioned how little the State's clamp down and basically intentionally/designed/and premeditated (I use those accusatory words as an IMHO without all the analytics at my disposal which might totally refute my IMHO harsh accusatory words), since we are still having those problems to this day, unless it is a grossly major violation that even grandma/grandpa with cataracts from a mile away can see and rule on) conveniently turn their heads and let their coaches run amuck.

Not once was a major initiative mentioned to investigate by attending unannounced, games by state officials (ie- not professionally dressed up and not without the state badge prominently displayed, yes dressed in $10 dollar jeans and a $5 dollar polo that is not named brand and tennis shoes, cheap converse not Michael jordans, and yes, paying money to get into the game).

Nothing was mentioned about checking up on black balling when officials who do enforce sportsmanship and deportment issues by coaches locally all over the state, and the association's that allow coaches to rule and decide how little enforcement they want, which is basically none whatsoever, versus what the State's write that they want done. Otherwise the coaches will go find another official 's association that let's them run up one side and down the other on their officials because the coaches are the big dog that wags the tail and you know it.

It all starts at the top. If the State office clamps down on behaviour issues and no black balling of officials by coaches and the association's that allow it, who enforce coaching unsportsmanlike conduct, things could change in a heartbeat. Notice the coaching behavior and the officials that will enforce bad behaviour at the State Tournament in front of all the State Office People with their dressed up clothes and badges displayed, versus regular season sportsmanship, deportment and antics.

I also say the above from attending games at schools where the coaches are expected to toe the line with a minimum (basically no comments at all) of comments about calls or the officiating.

Since the players and fans have no coach screaming and yelling/flapping towels/ taking off shirts/ stomping feet/ whining and complaining verbally/ all night to get them going, the games are generally well behaved by all party's involved with no drama and just a minimal of a small gasp to a call every now and then. The fans, who many times do not even know a lot about the finer points of the rules and are just there to watch the kids play and have a good time, rather than reacting negatively all night long due to a drama king/queen coaches theatrics which is exactly what they are trying to do, designed premeditated yada yada, hence the term home court advantage.

Let the coach's coach, the players that is (hence the name), players play, officials officiate, and everyone on and off the court (fans) enjoy the game and competition.

P.S. And yes, I feel like it is totally acceptable for one time a year, a coach to tell an official as he comes by, boy these calls are stinking it up tonight, and get his technical foul for the year. No harm in this once a year.

• Thanks 1

No organization is perfect.  But, I'm proud to work in state where they have always had my back.  By way of example:

(1)  Bottom of the 7th, 2 outs, bases loaded, home team losing by 1.  After a 13-pitch at-bat which ended with a called strike three by me, the home team's starting pitcher decided to yell at me, "you F*#King suck," as I was walking off the field.  He got a four game suspension.

(2)  Head coach started arguing with my partner (the plate umpire) about a close call at the plate.  As he was doing so, I saw the assistant coach throw his hat out on to the field while screaming at my partner.  I had my partner's back and ejected said AC.  The AC then proceeded to cover the plate in dirt, bump my partner and I, and cuss us out loudly (to the point where all of the fans...including his own...turned against him.)  He was suspended the rest of the season and playoffs, and fined $500.  (There were five games left in the regular season, and they were definitely going to make the playoffs.)  I found out later that the coach was a former MiLBer.  Guess he didn't know I was a former MiLB umpire who wasn't going to put up with that crap.  LOL.

I've been working in South Carolina since 2002.  If you're a baseball coach in SC, your first ejection in a season will cost you 2 games and $300.  It tends to keep ejections to a minimum.  

• Like 4

On 5/13/2019 at 2:11 PM, lawump said:

If you're a baseball coach in SC, your first ejection in a season will cost you 2 games and $300

All for it - it doesn't even have to be that high.  Last league I was in it was $50 and you'd have one or two total ejections a season across 15-20 teams...same teams go to a weekend tournament with no penalties and you have one or two ejections that weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Was anyone watching the SEC tourney game between LSU and Miss St? U1 Darrell Arnold was mic'd, and they played a couple clips of him talking in between innings. He said to one of his partners and the trainer (who brought out water) that his son umpired some last summer, and doesn't want to do it anymore because, as the son said, "I don't want people yelling me at all the time." Arnold told him, "Then this isn't the job for you."

Sadly accurate.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:08 AM, dumbdumb said:

All I know was that I decided to attend a State Meeting one time and the Head of the State Athletic Association spoke and said the number one reason officials were telling his office that caused them to quit was the deportment and unsportsmanlike conduct of the 'coaches' towards the official. 

Now, nothing was mentioned how little the State's clamp down and basically intentionally/designed/and premeditated (I use those accusatory words as an IMHO without all the analytics at my disposal which might totally refute my IMHO harsh accusatory words), since we are still having those problems to this day, unless it is a grossly major violation that even grandma/grandpa with cataracts from a mile away can see and rule on) conveniently turn their heads and let their coaches run amuck.

Not once was a major initiative mentioned to investigate by attending unannounced, games by state officials (ie- not professionally dressed up and not without the state badge prominently displayed, yes dressed in $10 dollar jeans and a $5 dollar polo that is not named brand and tennis shoes, cheap converse not Michael jordans, and yes, paying money to get into the game).

Nothing was mentioned about checking up on black balling when officials who do enforce sportsmanship and deportment issues by coaches locally all over the state, and the association's that allow coaches to rule and decide how little enforcement they want, which is basically none whatsoever, versus what the State's write that they want done. Otherwise the coaches will go find another official 's association that let's them run up one side and down the other on their officials because the coaches are the big dog that wags the tail and you know it.

It all starts at the top. If the State office clamps down on behaviour issues and no black balling of officials by coaches and the association's that allow it, who enforce coaching unsportsmanlike conduct, things could change in a heartbeat. Notice the coaching behavior and the officials that will enforce bad behaviour at the State Tournament in front of all the State Office People with their dressed up clothes and badges displayed, versus regular season sportsmanship, deportment and antics.

I also say the above from attending games at schools where the coaches are expected to toe the line with a minimum (basically no comments at all) of comments about calls or the officiating.

Since the players and fans have no coach screaming and yelling/flapping towels/ taking off shirts/ stomping feet/ whining and complaining verbally/ all night to get them going, the games are generally well behaved by all party's involved with no drama and just a minimal of a small gasp to a call every now and then. The fans, who many times do not even know a lot about the finer points of the rules and are just there to watch the kids play and have a good time, rather than reacting negatively all night long due to a drama king/queen coaches theatrics which is exactly what they are trying to do, designed premeditated yada yada, hence the term home court advantage.

Let the coach's coach, the players that is (hence the name), players play, officials officiate, and everyone on and off the court (fans) enjoy the game and competition.

P.S. And yes, I feel like it is totally acceptable for one time a year, a coach to tell an official as he comes by, boy these calls are stinking it up tonight, and get his technical foul for the year. No harm in this once a year.

It would make total sense to have people from the state association attend games incognito, then observe violations, report back to the state office. In that way, state officials could observe coach behavior in its natural habitat, not just read ejection and unsportsmanlike conduct reports filed by game officials. 

Imagine the look on the coach's face when Bob in the black t-shirt who was sitting in the 3rd row of the stands walks into the locker room after the game, and tells him that he has been fined (or suspended) by the state office for his actions. 

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:04 AM, jms1425 said:

Was anyone watching the SEC tourney game between LSU and Miss St? U1 Darrell Arnold was mic'd, and they played a couple clips of him talking in between innings. He said to one of his partners and the trainer (who brought out water) that his son umpired some last summer, and doesn't want to do it anymore because, as the son said, "I don't want people yelling me at all the time." Arnold told him, "Then this isn't the job for you."

Sadly accurate.

I will tell a story from when I was a young lad doing basketball. My younger brother decided he wanted to officiate some basketball games to earn some money since he saw I was making "decent", for a 13 year old, money. He was 11 years old and I decided to work two 3rd or 4th grade games with him to help break him in and protect my little brother. 

Well we get done with the first quarter and he hasn't blown his whistle yet... I just tell him, don't be nervous to blow the whistle and make a call if you see it. He just nods. After the 3rd he still hasn't made a foul call, only killing the play when the ball would go out of play. I got with him and said, "Hey you have got to call something at some point." His response looking at me like a deer in headlights, "I don't want to get yelled at." I told him the same thing. If you want to keep doing this, at some point you're going to get yelled at, but I'm going to have your back no matter what.

Needless to say I had another whistle and lanyard in my bag at the end of that day.