Jump to content
  • 0

When is the game over?


Guest MarkB
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2442 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest MarkB

Home half of last inning. Home team trailing by 1. Two outs. Runners on second and third. Batter hits ball through infield. Two runners cross home without a throw. But second runner never touches home plate. Steps right over it.

I believe the defence forfeits the opportunity to appeal when it leaves the field. I believe the runner forfeits the opportunity to touch home once he goes out of play (dugout). So should the umpire just stand there until the defence leaves the field?  Is there any circumstance that the runner would be called out (and thus the game still tied) without an appeal?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
8 minutes ago, Guest MarkB said:

Home half of last inning. Home team trailing by 1. Two outs. Runners on second and third. Batter hits ball through infield. Two runners cross home without a throw. But second runner never touches home plate. Steps right over it.

I believe the defence forfeits the opportunity to appeal when it leaves the field. I believe the runner forfeits the opportunity to touch home once he goes out of play (dugout). So should the umpire just stand there until the defence leaves the field?  Is there any circumstance that the runner would be called out (and thus the game still tied) without an appeal?

 

 

Do your normal post game routine. To stand there waiting is telling the players something is amiss.

There is no way to call the runner out without an appeal. A base (home plate is a base) is considered touched unless appealed so don't even think about abandonment.

It's over when the pitcher and  infielders leave fair territory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
15 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Shouldn't an umpire's normal routine be to stay in position until the defense has left fair territory?

Never seen them do that.  When the winning team is on the field they just stay there for their celebration.  When the losing team is on the field they do a slow trudge off the field. You'd be waiting a long time.  Just leave.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
33 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

Never seen them do that.  When the winning team is on the field they just stay there for their celebration.  When the losing team is on the field they do a slow trudge off the field. You'd be waiting a long time.  Just leave.

 

When the winning team is on the field you aren't worried about them making an appeal play as they're the ones that recorded the third out...this is going to be about 90-95% of all games.

After a walkoff, the defense is typically off the field in under 30 seconds.  I don't see why you wouldn't wait that extra 30-60 seconds for the defense to leave the field, in any walk off situation.

But yes, whatever your routine is don't change it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
54 minutes ago, Guest MarkB said:

Home half of last inning. Home team trailing by 1. Two outs. Runners on second and third. Batter hits ball through infield. Two runners cross home without a throw. But second runner never touches home plate. Steps right over it.

I believe the defence forfeits the opportunity to appeal when it leaves the field. I believe the runner forfeits the opportunity to touch home once he goes out of play (dugout). So should the umpire just stand there until the defence leaves the field?  Is there any circumstance that the runner would be called out (and thus the game still tied) without an appeal?

 

 

FED used to allow the umpire to declare an out for a baserunning violation (missed base, base left to soon on a caught batted ball) without waiting for an appeal..  One state (SC, I think), still allows it.  Some tournaments / local rules might also have it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
32 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

I don't see why you wouldn't wait that extra 30-60 seconds for the defense to leave the field, in any walk off situation.

We leave promptly to minimize the risk of post-game guff from the losers. That's universal instruction at every level, in my experience.

That said, if you're right about the time intervals, I probably can't get off the field with my partner and no baseballs in less than 30 seconds, so they will have their window to appeal.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

594160ec3f160_finishmtdinner.jpg.c36aec08aa56b2c9f204654e1cd7ea2a.jpg

 

Com'on Kid don't fool around. Just let your hand drop to your side, don't let your mask fall out, so they'll know you're still on the job. They're gonna be staring at your face. So, walk outta the place real fast, but, you don't run. Don't look nobody directly in the eye, but you don't look away either. They won't know what to do, believe me. So don't worry about nuttin.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, ScubaUmp said:

594160ec3f160_finishmtdinner.jpg.c36aec08aa56b2c9f204654e1cd7ea2a.jpg

 

Com'on Kid don't fool around. Just let your hand drop to your side, don't let your mask fall out, so they'll know you're still on the job. They're gonna be staring at your face. So, walk outta the place real fast, but, you don't run. Don't look nobody directly in the eye, but you don't look away either. They won't know what to do, believe me. So don't worry about nuttin.

 

 

The best part of this, besides the lesson on making spaghetti sauce, is Michael does exactly NONE of that when he actually does the deed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...