disengaged and throwing to unocc. first base: balk?

Guest olde yeller
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2467 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest olde yeller

MLB rules.

Runner at third (only)

Our pitcher disengaged the rubber and threw to unoccupied first base.

The umpires conferred and called a balk., scoring R3, which tied the game.

Theu umpires stated that the pitcher properly disengaged but nevertheless cannot throw to unoccupied first base.

The umpires specifically stated that they were NOT alleging any deceptive intent on the part of the pitcher.

(I realize that intent is irrelevant)

In other words, we all agree on the facts.  We agreed it was a rules call, not a judgement call.  We disagreed on the rule.

We lost the game 2-1, and lodged a protest.

The umpires were extraordinarily professional throughout.

Thank you!

16 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, Guest olde yeller said:

MLB rules.

Runner at third (only)

Our pitcher disengaged the rubber and threw to unoccupied first base.

The umpires conferred and called a balk., scoring R3, which tied the game.

Theu umpires stated that the pitcher properly disengaged but nevertheless cannot throw to unoccupied first base.

The umpires specifically stated that they were NOT alleging any deceptive intent on the part of the pitcher.

(I realize that intent is irrelevant)

In other words, we all agree on the facts.  We agreed it was a rules call, not a judgement call.  We disagreed on the rule.

We lost the game 2-1, and lodged a protest.

The umpires were extraordinarily professional throughout.

Thank you!

Once disengaged he is no longer a pitcher, he's an infielder.  An infielder can feint all he wants. An infielder cannot balk.This is the rule you want:

8.01 (e) If the pitcher removes his pivot foot from contact with the pitcher’s plate by stepping backward with that foot, he thereby becomes an infielder and if he makes a wild throw from that position, it shall be considered the same as a wild throw by any other infielder.

Rule 8.01(e) Comment: The pitcher, while off the rubber, may throw to any base. If he makes a wild throw, such throw is the throw of an infielder and what follows is governed by the rules covering a ball thrown by a fielder.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

Once disengaged he is no longer a pitcher, he's an infielder.  An infielder can feint all he wants. An infielder cannot balk.This is the rule you want:

8.01 (e) If the pitcher removes his pivot foot from contact with the pitcher’s plate by stepping backward with that foot, he thereby becomes an infielder and if he makes a wild throw from that position, it shall be considered the same as a wild throw by any other infielder.

Rule 8.01(e) Comment: The pitcher, while off the rubber, may throw to any base. If he makes a wild throw, such throw is the throw of an infielder and what follows is governed by the rules covering a ball thrown by a fielder.

Unless they cite this rule:

"8.05(h)  The pitcher unnecessarily delays the game;

Rule 8.05(h) Comment: Rule 8.05(h) shall not apply when a warning is given pursuant to

Rule 8.02(c) (which prohibits intentional delay of a game by throwing to fielders not in an attempt to put a runner out). If a pitcher is ejected pursuant to Rule 8.02(c) for continuing to delay the game, the penalty in Rule 8.05(h) shall also apply. Rule 8.04 (which sets a time limit for a pitcher to deliver the ball when the bases are unoccupied) applies only when there are no runners on base. "

Which should not hold water but who knows.

16 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Rule 8.05(h) Comment: Rule 8.05(h) shall not apply when a warning is given pursuant to

Rule 8.02(c) (which prohibits intentional delay of a game by throwing to fielders not in an attempt to put a runner out). If a pitcher is ejected pursuant to Rule 8.02(c) for continuing to delay the game, the penalty in Rule 8.05(h) shall also apply. Rule 8.04 (which sets a time limit for a pitcher to deliver the ball when the bases are unoccupied) applies only when there are no runners on base. "

They didn't. Not  in play here. The OP said:

"The umpires stated that the pitcher properly disengaged but nevertheless cannot throw to unoccupied first base."

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Where in that rule does it say that a balk shall be called and base (s) awarded? 

Guest olde yeller

We won the protest.

Thanks for all your responses.  in addition to rules cites, I quoted the line, "an infielder cannot balk" in my submission to my league.

Thank you to whoever brought up a possible "delay of game" issue.  I mentioned that in my submission and then debunked it so as to  close a potential loophole.

• Like 3

On 6/26/2017 at 7:52 PM, FleasOf1000Camels said:

Actually, an infielder CAN balk.  F1 disengaged, but straddling the rubber (now technically an infielder) makes motions associated to his pitching motion, or takes that position astride the rubber without the ball.  FED 6-2-5 or OBR 6.02a

F1 can not straddle the rubber unless he has the ball, and then once he does, straddling the rubber is considered the same as engaged.

We had a thread long ago where one poster did not know what straddle meant and thought it meant on the rubber. I thought we corrected him.
May need to liken it to the dating scene:

Straddling someone most certainly doesn't mean you're engaged to them... Same goes for the pitching rubber.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2