Inadvertent Pitching Clinic

ElkOil
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2544 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I still don't know how I feel about this. Something tells me it was wrong. Here's what happened:

Today I was BU at a low-level HS game. Total blow-out. The combined scores of the two games these teams played was 52-2. Needless to say, it was more of a scrimmage than anything else. I noticed the pitcher of the winning team was starting in the hybrid position, so I mentioned it to the coach between innings. The coach looked to be about the same age as his players, and didn't quite understand what I was describing. So after the game, he asked me to demonstrate what I was talking about relative to F1's foot position. So he and I go to the mound and the next thing I know, his entire team is out there, too.

I do a little demo with my feet for the stretch and wind-up positions, showing what's permitted and what's prohibited. The coach and kids are asking questions and were very interested. The whole thing lasted less than five minutes, and when I was done, everyone shook my hand and thanked me.

I'm very much opposed to umpires coaching, as I believe that to be the coach's job. But the coach did ask, and well, he seemed pretty grateful.

Anyone else ever do something like this? Do you think it was improper?

I have no problem with it either, with the conditions noumpere laid out. I file this sort of thing under "preventive officiating." When you do things like this, it helps me out next week. Or maybe you the next time you have that team.

• Like 2

After the game, no issues. No one can claim bias.

From where I sit (my backyard deck), you did not conduct a pitching clinic as much as you conducted a RULES clinic as they pertain to pitching.

Well played Mauer.

• Like 2

Doesn't sound like coaching anyway... Sounds like you were just describing/explaining the rules.

And I'm in the camp that believes we should do that WHENEVER asked. Seems like most agree. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jms1425 said:

I have no problem with it either, with the conditions noumpere laid out. I file this sort of thing under "preventive officiating." When you do things like this, it helps me out next week. Or maybe you the next time you have that team.

Was thinking the same thing.

Coaching requires a note from a neurosurgeon stating that you've fully recovered from your lobotomy. If you didn't have one, then coaching these young men wast totally inappropriate and I am reporting you to the authorities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ricka56 said:

Coaching requires a note from a neurosurgeon stating that you've fully recovered from your lobotomy. If you didn't have one, then coaching these young men wast totally inappropriate and I am reporting you to the authorities.

I'm gonna lay low for a while...

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2017 at 11:31 AM, stkjock said:

h12.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnpYDzePQe1XKmjLTSX5s

I know this thread is getting old but I fell behind this month. So stk, what is the purpose of that 2nd picture you posted? Is there some criteria pertaining to the free foot and the side edge of the rubber? I though all that mattered was whether or not the entire free foot was in front of the front edge of the rubber. 

2 hours ago, daleshell said:

Ok, sorry for taking so long to see this; but why didn't you call a balk the first time he did this?  Sounds like you let it go throughout the game?

The explanation can be derived from the narrative. Without knowing how long you've umpired (or if you umpire at all), or what your experience level is, the part that would answer your question would be when I said, "Today I was BU at a low-level HS game. Total blow-out. The combined scores of the two games these teams played was 52-2. Needless to say, it was more of a scrimmage than anything else."

For these types of games, we umpire some aspects differently.  Especially when players and coaches lack certain knowledge and skill... which is why I held the impromptu clinic afterwards. We don't generally call balks like the one he was committing when none of the players or coaches understand what's going on, nor do the actions of the pitcher in this instance create any deception. The kid needed help, not a penalty. Calling this balk would only create confusion because I wasn't going to bust out into a clinic in the middle of an inning to give the explanation and demonstration necessary to address the balk after I called it.