When are umpires supposed to leave when a game ends

beerguy55
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2618 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Whether it's the third out, or a winning run crosses in the bottom of the last inning, what is the practice/rule for how long umpires are supposed to stick around before they leave the field.  My assumption would be when the defense leaves fair territory, which would eliminate any chance for appeal, but that's a wild ass guess.

The game I'm thinking of happened just recently...in 1989 - bases loaded in the bottom of the 16th of a 0-0 Expos-Dodgers game, Larry Walker tagged up on a fly ball and scored to win the game.  The story goes that during the celebration, Eddie Murray, our friendly HOF first baseman, noticed that Bob Davidson had not left his post at third base - he told Dempsey, the catcher, who still had the ball, to appeal to third base figuring Walker left early.  Appeal made, run nullified, three out, and Dodgers win in the 22nd inning.

Did Davidson inadvertently create an advantage for the defense by staying at his post, in combination with the fact that two of the other umpires were actually off the field and in the tunnel when the appeal play was made?

7 answers to this question

In my games:

If solo and the winning run comes in and and I know there is a possible appeal I just casually start my end of game process. Watch all runners complete their responsibilities, observe what the defense is doing (running off the field?), I roll the balls, grab my mini-bar (IE water bottles) and start heading for the exit. This takes anywhere from 30-60 seconds depending on what is happening... by this time either the defense is coming to grab me or packing their stuff and heading to the bus. 

Partner games: Basically the same except either I am holding a few moments for my partner to get to me or I am heading towards him... either way there should be more than enough time for an appeal to be made. I am not an advocate of literally running for the exit nor am I hanging out to get hand shakes and atta-boys...  Busting for the exit (assuming your not being pursued) to me just looks bad; like you did not want to be there in the first place and hanging around makes you look like a glory hound.

Somehow we need to find the balance of not only what looks right, is right but not tipping our hand to the teams...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Whether it's the third out, or a winning run crosses in the bottom of the last inning, what is the practice/rule for how long umpires are supposed to stick around before they leave the field.  My assumption would be when the defense leaves fair territory, which would eliminate any chance for appeal, but that's a wild ass guess.

The game I'm thinking of happened just recently...in 1989 - bases loaded in the bottom of the 16th of a 0-0 Expos-Dodgers game, Larry Walker tagged up on a fly ball and scored to win the game.  The story goes that during the celebration, Eddie Murray, our friendly HOF first baseman, noticed that Bob Davidson had not left his post at third base - he told Dempsey, the catcher, who still had the ball, to appeal to third base figuring Walker left early.  Appeal made, run nullified, three out, and Dodgers win in the 22nd inning.

Did Davidson inadvertently create an advantage for the defense by staying at his post, in combination with the fact that two of the other umpires were actually off the field and in the tunnel when the appeal play was made?

Haven't seen video but I think he probably advertently created an advantage. I'm of the opinion, created by my impression from an authority I can not remember, that we should leave when the game ends on a scored run or third out, delaying only to check any baserunning omissions. 

I leave when the last out or winning run happens. Usually the gate is at the ends of the dugout. Start walking and meet partner(s) on the way. By walking, it gives the defense time to make the appeal if they need to.

I do it the same every time, no matter if I see a possible appeal or not. Just a regular walk, just pay more attention to the defense, if I think there may be an appeal - generally we as umpires will hear about it long before we get off the field, because it is generally right away.

I DO NOT hang around, or give a clue to the defense - it is on them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Haven't seen video but I think he probably advertently created an advantage. I'm of the opinion, created by my impression from an authority I can not remember, that we should leave when the game ends on a scored run or third out, delaying only to check any baserunning omissions. 

There is video on youtube of the entire game (6+ hours), but it's not very good - doesn't really show much (though you do see Lasorda run into the tunnel to get the two umps who had already left).

Game was on August 23, 1989 - the same day Pete Rose got banned.

Pascual Perez threw 8 shutout innings

Orel Hershisher threw 7.

John Wetteland threw 6, and got the W.

22 inning game only saw 11 pitchers.

Kirk Gibson didn't play

Fernando Valenzuela pinch hit

Expos mascot got ejected when he put on pajamas and a night cap and pretended to sleep on the Dodgers dugout.

19 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Whether it's the third out, or a winning run crosses in the bottom of the last inning, what is the practice/rule for how long umpires are supposed to stick around before they leave the field. 

Leave in the same manner you'd leave if the third out was made and the defense won the game.  It's just that simple.

The responsibility is on the defense to appeal timely. We Umpires are expected to be alert for any situation where an appeal is possible. If I am on the plate, I return the game balls to the home team, wait on my partner and walk to the exit. I do not wait.

The times a game ending appeal has happened to me, it was clear that an appeal was coming or there was audible chatter about a possible appeal. Absent these things, I depart as usual.      

• Like 1