Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5655 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Had a game Saturday which was actually a great game.

Top of the first, the first batted ball. I admit I didn't use the proper "clear the catcher" mechanic, but have never had a problem with it before.

I'm just fair running up the line just a step or two out of the box. The batter awkwardly flung his bat to the side (nothing illegal) . The catcher who was initially following in foul up the line, but rather than just step or hop over the bat he jumped seemingly 90 degrees to the side and just barely clipped my foot.

He never broke stride. I tried my hardest to stay upright, but was stumbbling and bumbling a step or two before I went down like a load of bricks and it was far from graceful. Add to that as I finally went down I drop the F-bomb loudly (game between 2 Christian schools).

My partner didn't see it, but came up to me between innings and asked WTF happened to you? When he saw I was covered in dirt. And that was only the top of the first. I wish I could have gone to my car between innings to change pants, but couldnt.

The rest of the game went smoothly and was exciting from start to finish with the visitors winning and celebrated like they had just wone the state championship.

I'd just never fallen on the field before and thought you'd like to get a laugh at my expense.

Posted

UIC, that there is funny. I can say that because I took a fall last year on the bases. I'm in "C", busting over to cover third on a throw, the body stopped but the feet kept going. I kept my eye on the play and made the call from me butt!

Posted

I drop the F-bomb loudly (game between 2 Christian schools).

In my experience, the Christian schools are the worst with language.

Posted

I drop the F-bomb loudly (game between 2 Christian schools).

In my experience, the Christian schools are the worst with language.

Having gone to a catholic high school, I support this statement.

Posted

I drop the F-bomb loudly (game between 2 Christian schools).

In my experience, the Christian schools are the worst with language.

Having gone to a catholic high school, I support this statement.

Their language is usually OK. As is their math.

It's their science that makes me wonder.

Posted

Many years ago.......when i first started out....I was issued a mask and the balloon ......a play in the infield had me trying to clear the catcher.....I tripped over the strap on the balloon and FACEPLANTED myself in the fine red Georgia infield dust...........I came up looking like a powdered donut......and missed the play...

Dont think Ive ever been anymore embarassed......

Posted

Many years ago.......when i first started out....I was issued a mask and the balloon ......a play in the infield had me trying to clear the catcher.....I tripped over the strap on the balloon and FACEPLANTED myself in the fine red Georgia infield dust...........I came up looking like a powdered donut......and missed the play...

Dont think Ive ever been anymore embarassed......

At least with the red dust they probably didn't see you blushing :wub:

Posted

Second week of the HS season....During ground rules, home coach points out the rather impressive depth of the cutout at home, cautioning the visiting coach to let his players know about it. I made a mental note

of it, which my brain must've promptly erased. First batter hits a grounder to F6, and as I am trailing him down the line, I suddenly find myself bouncing off of my chest protector ! I was so caught up in doing the job, I completely neglected the crater I was working in. I jumped back upto one knee in time to see the play at first, scooped up my mask, and returned to the plate, humbled, but uninjured. My partner never saw a thing !

Posted

I saw a very respected official turn and to RF on a trouble ball. He took about two steps, tripped over the roll at the edge of the infield, did a full somersault and ended flat on his back. He took it well but not his finest moment.

Posted

I was doing bases in a LL Minor game about 3-4 years ago, training a new umpire

With R1 & R2, I'm in C (remember - 60', so I'm 'out') Ball is hit to left field, but nowhere near F7. I wait for R2 to start towards 3B before I begin coming in to the infield, but as I cross the dirt, he decides (for some unkown reason not supported by any reality) to dash back to 2B. I see him turn and try to avoid him but he runs into me anyway and we both go down.

Ball is still rolling in the outfield; R2 gets up and hurries to 3B. I get there ('cause my partner is new so he's just standing behind HP watching) in time to make a call if necessary - it wasn't.

After the play, the OM requests Time and comes to ask me why I'm not calling Umpire Interference and advancing his runners . . . !

  • Like 1
Posted

I drop the F-bomb loudly (game between 2 Christian schools).

In my experience, the Christian schools are the worst with language.

As a grad of a Christian School, we are not even close to the worst with language. When i went to school one cuss word would be cause for suspension, or running until your knees were pounding dirt.

Looks like where you live you have a bunch of people commonly known as hypocrites.

As to the person who said it was bad mechanics, last Fall I was working an evaluation camp for HS players at a D1 university in Ohio. The F2 I was working behind was an all state F2. On a ground ball I tried to clear him correctly, but he was so slow moving he kicked his leg out and tripped me when I was in the RH batter's box. when I asked what he was thinking about, his response was "well it happens once or twice a month." Unreal, maybe one day he will figure out how to get out of his box.

Posted

Bad mechanics.

The video shows why you don't look at the ball, you look at the fielder.

Yep. Open the gate and read the player.

×
×
  • Create New...