Fitness Challenge

Jocko
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3344 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Not a dig or a shot but.....what's wrong with just plain water?

I use a Brita pitcher to filter tap water and fill six plastic and aluminum bicycle bottles a day and drink, drink, drink. I'm full so I don't eat that much. I'm hydrated to the gills and it's good for you.

Electrolytes need replenishing.

Alternate between water and the other.You don't need to replenish any electrolytes until you've been sprinting for 90 minutes. Water really in the best, or green tea.

Can you cite a source of your research? My science class last year conducted experiments on ourselves. Do you need me to PM you the results? It involved lots of sweaty teenagers. I'm stopping now. Just stop making excuses. Water is really all you need. Some Powerade has more calories than an average soda and basically what you have there is powdered Powerade. WATER WATER WATER WATER, ROLO.

I use a Brita pitcher to filter tap water and fill six plastic and aluminum bicycle bottles a day and drink, drink, drink. I'm full so I don't eat that much. I'm hydrated to the gills and it's good for you.

Alternate between water and the other. You don't need to replenish any electrolytes until you've been sprinting for 90 minutes. Water really in the best, or green tea. Can you cite a source of your research? My science class last year conducted experiments on ourselves. Do you need me to PM you the results? It involved lots of sweaty teenagers. I'm stopping now. Just stop making excuses. Water is really all you need. Some Powerade has more calories than an average soda and basically what you have there is powdered Powerade. WATER WATER WATER WATER, ROLO.

Why would I need inaccurate results??

• Like 1

Alternate between water and the other. You don't need to replenish any electrolytes until you've been sprinting for 90 minutes. Water really in the best, or green tea. Can you cite a source of your research? My science class last year conducted experiments on ourselves. Do you need me to PM you the results? It involved lots of sweaty teenagers. I'm stopping now. Just stop making excuses. Water is really all you need. Some Powerade has more calories than an average soda and basically what you have there is powdered Powerade. WATER WATER WATER WATER, ROLO. Why would I need inaccurate results??

58 people took the test. It took us all about 110 minutes to start using electrolytes and for the three middle aged men, it took 90 minutes.

Other benefits of water:

Kick starts your metabolism

Keeps your skin clear

Helps with muscle cell growth.

Makes you feel better

Combats headaches

post-2861-0-70961000-1409686585_thumb.jp

Actually you need to start with Electrolytes so that when you start needing them their are in your system.

So it took some teenagers 110 minutes to figure out this highly technical scientific study? Nice!

Most youth and for that' matter many adults have to have a flavor in their drink. It's just how it is now. If you have to have flavors at least try to reduce the amount of substance by either diluting with plain water or alternating so you take in more water than anything else. If you need a flavor drink after a workout try waiting and rewarding yourself with it after a good sweaty cardio workout.

By the way, @Jocko , this is a great topic thread. I hope it lasts. We can all share our tips and techniques and workout ideas as well as diet info. But,........fellows please, NO shirtless pics when you start reaching your goals. Just sayin,......

My .02.....

I'm in and have already begun.

Late July, I joined the wellness program through my employer.  We get savings on health insurance for reaching daily step goals (starting at 7,000) and making better eating decisions (and drinking 8 cups or more of water per day).  I have hit the step goal every day since July 26th and average 10,500 steps per day.  The fitbit tracks it all for me.

I augment it with the myfitnesspal app (totally free).  I log everything I eat and try to be around 2,100 calories per day  I just try to remain diligent to the serving sizes.

Nice thing is before I reach for a snack I have to decide if it is worth the trouble to look it up and log the food.  I usually decide not to bother and just don't eat the snack.

6 weeks in I have dropped 10 or so pounds and am currently sitting at 195.  At 185 I will have lost 10% of my original 205 lb frame.  Plus, I will save $100 on my health insurance premiums next quarter!

• Like 1

I have a Fitbit and it is awesome!! Highly recommend it!

Plus, for associations that ban items on the wrist (like mine) or if you are worried about taking a foul ball to the device...just stick it in your pocket.  It tracks my steps fine during games.

Agreed I keep mine in my pocket all the time.

This is the one I use.

One Wireless

I'm with BigUmpire on this one (except I'm a runt when compared to him, okay to anybody. Hahahaha) but more sex sounds like the best plan I've ever heard of. How does Mrs. BigUmpire feel about this? That's always a problem isn't it? An equally committed workout partner.

Just keeping up with her is a problem. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is basically just a fancy pedometer.  It tracks steps, active minutes in the day, and can even track sleep.

The genius is that it has an app where you can enter food, goals, etc and it will manage it all.  Or you can download other services and sync all the data between devices.

Using your steps, goals, and tracked exercise, it will tell you precisely how many more calories you can eat in the day.  Hit the goal and want the lbs come off.

Two years ago this October, I tipped the scales at 247!  Mind you, I'm 5'6".  Talk about a Fat F*ck...  Over the past 23 months I've gotten down to 165 and into the best shape I've ever been in (with the exception of my HS playing days, of course).  I've since gained about 25 lbs. back as a result of a steroid my doctor put me on to relieve the inflammation in my left hip which is getting replaced a week from tomorrow.  So, I will gladly accept your fitness challenge to get back to where I was 4 months ago and to be ready to rock when the camps start in February!  Let's roll...

• Like 2

I need to get back into some fitness and work on my weight.

The past year has just been crazy with work, stress and other issues. It has not only had a drastic effect on my umpiring availability, the time I have available to spend here but also my weight. Unfortunately umpiring 5-6 games a week was quite often my only form of exercise. I've maybe done 50 games this year. While I haven't stepped on a scale in a long time I can feel I've been gaining weight. 

This weekend I downloaded Ease into 5K. I have yet to use it but will start it soon.

I would guess I'm pushing 230 now. I feel I looked and felt my best (as an adult) when I was about 190. My doctor wants me to be 160, but that is just not realistic. My final HS wrestling weight class was 145 (23 years ago) and being pretty trim then I had trouble making that weight at times. I filled out in college and maintained a pretty healthy 160-170 lbs. Then came my first desk job. One where I had a company credit card and was required to take at least  1 client out to lunch a week and there was no spending limit. With the minimum being 1 client, once I developed a suitable client base, I went out every day. 

But I'd like to be about 190 when the season starts in Feb.

I just jog/walked 3 miles tonight for the first time. My whole body hurts. My knees, calfs, hamstrings, thighs, and back. It takes every ounce of energy I have to get out of the house and keep this going. But I have a mission. And I refuse to fail.

• Like 3