Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4402 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I had a umpire eject a coach tonight. After the game the two umpires are going at it over the ejection. 

 

Umpire A told coach if they did not get 4 runs the game was over and the coach got mad saying no we pay to play here we are going to play until the time runs out. Umpire A told him no we have run rules here if you dont get 4 runs its over. Coach tells him you are starting to piss me off and umpire A ejects him. Umpire B thought he was way too quick with the ejection. 

 

So what do you think was it a good ejection or not?

Posted

Coach is there to teach baseball fundamentals and set an example to kids on how sport can teach life-skills - leadership, respect for authority, handling adversity.

 

Clearly he failed on all accounts.  Good EJ any level below NCAA.

  • Like 1
Posted

I had a umpire eject a coach tonight. After the game the two umpires are going at it over the ejection. 

 

Umpire A told coach if they did not get 4 runs the game was over and the coach got mad saying no we pay to play here we are going to play until the time runs out. Umpire A told him no we have run rules here if you dont get 4 runs its over. Coach tells him you are starting to piss me off and umpire A ejects him. Umpire B thought he was way too quick with the ejection. 

 

So what do you think was it a good ejection or not?

I'm curious...what was the situation? What defines a completed game at this level?

Posted

I think this EJ was avoidable. Why tell the coach what he needs to keep the game going. Coaches should know the run rules. I don't bring up mercy rules unless I'm asked. If coach is surprised (pissed off) when I call the game for a mercy rule, I don't have to listen to it for long, because well, I'm gone.

 

But to your question, if coach said "you're starting to piss me off" in front of his U12 team, I don't have a problem with an EJ. If he was coaching shaving-aged players, I wouldn't EJ (and "shouldn't" reply "Likewise").

  • Like 1
Posted

1.  I make it a rule to never initiate a conversation with a coach. 

2.  When an ump says that, I think it makes it sound like youre looking to get out of there quick. 

3.  I think the conversation is probably missing some words.  I hope - prob could have avoided the Eject. 

 

In all the Ump should umpire the game.  when the inning is over and the Mercy rule has been reached, the game is done.  Give back the balls, nice games kids etc... leave.  If he says anything at that point "coach, according to rules the game is over due to mercy, if we were to play on and officiate the game it could create a liability issue for us". 

  • Like 3
Posted

Get ahead of this by letting both coaches know BEFORE the inning starts the game will end because of a run per inning limit per whatever rule set/local rule dictates.

 

When that milestone is reached call “ballgameâ€, roll the balls towards the mound and leave rapidly.

The key is to let the coaches know of YOUR intent, per the rules BEFORE you have an after game yell and slobber session.

 

Preventative umpiring 101.

 

It still amazes me that so many umpires want to stay and debate/explain/fight AFTER the game is over. They should be talking to the back of your head NOT the front!

 

After you call “ballgame†the balls should still be rolling towards the mound as you are rapidly accelerating towards your car!

  • Like 4
Posted

Get ahead of this by letting both coaches know BEFORE the inning starts the game will end because of a run per inning limit per whatever rule set/local rule dictates.

 

When that milestone is reached call “ballgameâ€, roll the balls towards the mound and leave rapidly.

The key is to let the coaches know of YOUR intent, per the rules BEFORE you have an after game yell and slobber session.

 

I disagree with this advice. I believe this is what was done in the OP and started the during game slobber fest. If I'm going to have a slobber fest, I'd prefer an after game slobber fest where the yelling volume decreases as my distance from it increases.

  • Like 3
Posted

 

Get ahead of this by letting both coaches know BEFORE the inning starts the game will end because of a run per inning limit per whatever rule set/local rule dictates.

 

When that milestone is reached call “ballgameâ€, roll the balls towards the mound and leave rapidly.

The key is to let the coaches know of YOUR intent, per the rules BEFORE you have an after game yell and slobber session.

 

I disagree with this advice. I believe this is what was done in the OP and started the during game slobber fest. If I'm going to have a slobber fest, I'd prefer an after game slobber fest where the yelling volume decreases as my distance from it increases.

 

To each his own.

Posted

I'm definitely ejecting for "you're starting to piss me off".  It's one of those phrases that implies a complete lack of respect.

Posted

The game is 1:45 

Run Rule is 15 after 3 or 10 after 4

Any run limit per inning?

 

6 runs per inning

the VT was down by 13

So, we're going into the top of an inning (4th or later,) and the VT has to cut the deficit to nine. Umpire should not say anything. The rules speak for themselves--we don't tell a trailing home team that they need X runs going into the bottom of the last, do we? If VT scores their four in this situation, we keep playing. If they don't, we don't. If VT coach has a problem at that time, then we deal with it, and it's on him for starting the problem.

  • Like 1
Posted

I do sort of tell them. At a tournament or travel game (daddy ball) I'll ask each team what they have for the score and remind of run rule if necessary, in the fourth inning typically.

I don't keep score so how can I enforce that rule if I don't know the score. I'll bet a MINIMUM of one game every other tourney I do the two teams do not have the same score. I certainly don't want to deal with that after the game should be over. At high school, upper level games, or games with a scoreboard I don't.

Posted

This is one reason why I ALWAYS keep track of the score when I'm on the dish...... That way, I never have to rely on the coaches.

Posted

If I have a potential game ending situation (run rule, time limit), then I will give both coaches a heads up to make sure we're all on the same page. Never once had even a hint of trouble come from it.

Also "you're starting to piss me off" would not prompt an ejection from me. After all, that's exactly why I'm there. ;)

  • Like 4
Posted

If I have a potential game ending situation (run rule, time limit), then I will give both coaches a heads up to make sure we're all on the same page.  

 

What if one team didn't realize that the game ending run was on 3B and didn't think to play infield/outfield in. Why would an umpire tip off the team that is not paying attention ? Conversely, if D is playing infield/outfield in, then we know we're on the same page and the umpire doesn't have to say anything.

Posted

I tend to tell them if it's convenient, but don't go out of my way.  I expect that they know the rules.  But if I happen to be walking by the dugout after verifying scores, I might mention to the coach "you need 4".  If he replied "no I paid and I'll play until the the time is up", I would simply say "you know the rule" and trot to my position.  He would have to really be looking to go to the parking lot for me to eject him in this circumstance.

Posted

Also "you're starting to piss me off" would not prompt an ejection from me. After all, that's exactly why I'm there. ;)

 

"WHAT? It's the 4th inning already, and I'm only just starting to piss you off? I must be losing my touch!"

- Redazz McGee

  • Like 1
Posted

If I have a potential game ending situation (run rule, time limit), then I will give both coaches a heads up to make sure we're all on the same page.

What if one team didn't realize that the game ending run was on 3B and didn't think to play infield/outfield in. Why would an umpire tip off the team that is not paying attention ? Conversely, if D is playing infield/outfield in, then we know we're on the same page and the umpire doesn't have to say anything.

I tell them before the inning, not during.

Posted

I keep score for my own knowledge, but I'm not going to tell a coach how many he needs to keep the game going. I can see that conversation turning south real quick:

Me: "You need 4 runs, Mike."

Coach: "It would only be two if you hadn't missed those two calls."

See what I'm getting at? IMO, bad idea.

  • Like 1
Posted

At the plate meeting, "We are playing under USSSA rules, 7 innings or 1:45, whichever comes first..."

...nuff said until the game ends...not even to my partner...I don't want to jinx an early end to an ass-whoopin game.

  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

When I'm doing youth games with time limits and run rules (or other "different" rules) I always go over them quickly at the plate meeting.

 

"Tonight's game is 7 innings or 2 hours, no drop-dead; run rule is in effect 10 after 5; CR mandatory for F2 with 2 outs; and etc". Takes very little time and could save you some problems.

 

I do not warn coaches when a game is about to be called due to the run rule or due to time running out (unless directed to do so by some league rule).  I track the score & confirm it with the "official" book. My partner tracks time.

 

As far as the OP -- Before we get to the "You're pissing me off" part I'm going to tell the coach that the run rule is in effect per league rules and will be enforced per said rule. If he continues the argument then I will warn him that we are through talking about it. Then anymore comments regarding this subject I will toss him.

Posted

I always tell the coaches. If we are close to time limit, I just walk over to each HC and say we have 5 minutes left in game time, this is going to be it. Anything more than 5 minutes and I don't say anything, because knowing my luck we will have have a 6 pitch inning and have to go 1 more. Same thing with the Mercy Rule, "Steve, you need 2 to keep it going. If not we are done." In 20 years I have never had a coach say anything but Thank you or I know or my favorite "Good! We Suck!!"

×
×
  • Create New...