Ron Washington gets run in the 1st inning arguing a replay.

KLAH316
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3594 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I like the rule. I've always thought that crashing the catcher was barbaric: if you want to hit someone, play football. (Football was once played without helmets, and when helmets were introduced you should have heard the howler monkeys decrying the change....)

Once they figure out how to interpret and enforce 7.13, the game will be better.

Totally against the rule changes, in the Millionaire Baseball League.   Amateur level sure, but grown men - read stories of old and what they did - Ty Cobb, et al...  This rule change moved baseball from a sport to a game.

(To be a sport one MUST be able to legally hit someone according to the rules, everything else is a game.)

I like the rule. I've always thought that crashing the catcher was barbaric: if you want to hit someone, play football. (Football was once played without helmets, and when helmets were introduced you should have heard the howler monkeys decrying the change....)

Once they figure out how to interpret and enforce 7.13, the game will be better.

Totally against the rule changes, in the Millionaire Baseball League.   Amateur level sure, but grown men - read stories of old and what they did - Ty Cobb, et al...  This rule change moved baseball from a sport to a game.

(To be a sport one MUST be able to legally hit someone according to the rules, everything else is a game.)

Rules according to Hoyle? :fuel:

1.01 Baseball is a game...

Damn, I guess it just took them 169 years to finally get it right.   :stir

• Like 5

It's a dumb rule.  I've said it from day one.  If you take away the runner's ability to railroad the catcher, the ability of the catcher to block access to the plate without the ball should be eliminated as well.  So that's what happened and now people piss and moan.

They should let men play baseball.  If a runner doesn't want to blast the catcher, he won't.  If the catcher doesn't want to be railroaded, don't play the position or block the plate.  Now instead of playing the game the way it was meant to be played at the highest level, we've relegated the decision to a few guys in New York.

This is going to happen in the playoffs and I am going to laugh my ass of when it happens.

It's a dumb rule.  I've said it from day one.  If you take away the runner's ability to railroad the catcher, the ability of the catcher to block access to the plate without the ball should be eliminated as well.  So that's what happened and now people piss and moan.

They should let men play baseball.  If a runner doesn't want to blast the catcher, he won't.  If the catcher doesn't want to be railroaded, don't play the position or block the plate.  Now instead of playing the game the way it was meant to be played at the highest level, we've relegated the decision to a few guys in New York.

This is going to happen in the playoffs and I am going to laugh my ass of when it happens.

All they have done is start to enforce obstruction rules that are enforced on every other base. Over-reaction/over-called is to be expected (adjustments will be made). I wait for the first on-field F2 obstruction call (and the IR review that is sure to follow). Who'll be the first ?

But go ahead, feel free to laugh your football mentality ass off.

All they have done is start to enforce obstruction rules that are enforced on every other base. Over-reaction/over-called is to be expected (adjustments will be made). I wait for the first on-field F2 obstruction call (and the IR review that is sure to follow). Who'll be the first ?

But go ahead, feel free to laugh your football mentality ass off.'

I have a football mentality because I'd rather have grown men settle it on the field rather than a group of guys sitting in an air-conditioned room in NYC determine if a catcher granted enough access to home plate?  If anything, baseball is trying its best to BECOME football with all of these reviews.

Everyone points out how few collisions there were in any given year, so naturally let's blow the whole thing up because Buster Posey suffered a freak injury.  Makes perfect sense. :smachhead:

Interesting to look at Miller when Washington comes out...looks like he says more than once "what did I call, what did I call?" 

I noticed that.  And then Miller emphatically nods his head yes, as if to agree, without saying it.