Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4499 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Posted

What call would you make?

11U tournament OBR.

With runners on base, after a pitch F1 would receive the ball from the catcher. With ball in glove he would take to the mound in the stretch position, and while on the rubber would transfer the ball to his throwing hand. Then he would bring his hand back together before delivering the pitch.

The umpires judgement was although F1s technique was bad, he wasn't really bringing his hands together, as he was just transferring the ball to his throwing hand. In fact umpire said he was just rolling the ball out of his glove.

 

What's your call?

Balk? Warning? No Call?

 

Now that I relive the incident; I believe F1 took signs from F2 prior to the transfer of the ball to his throwing hand. Would that had made a difference?

  • Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted

Depends on what you mean when you say "in the stretch position." Do you mean after he has come to a stop, or after he took the rubber but before he has started his motion to come set?

  • 0
Posted

No violation that I can see if I understand you correctly. The pitcher is allowed to transfer the ball from glove to hand or hand to glove as he gets on the rubber. To be legal this action must take place as he gets on the rubber. In a perfect world he gets on the rubber with his hands seperated. If he gets on the rubber with his hands together And immediately seperates hands I do not have a problem. If he gets on the rubber with hands together and leaves them together he can not seperate them unless he steps off first or delivers a pitch or steps and throws to 1st or third or steps and fakes to 2nd. I think I have that right

There are some rules experts on this site and they will correct me I am wrong and I welcome bring corrected if I have any of this wrong

If I have a good working relationship with the coach I will talk to him in between innings

I was involved in a 200 team memorial weekend tourney. Assignor spread the love around so you may have a 16 yr. old game followed by a 10 yr old game. 10 yr olds are comming set and leading off. We warned on Saturday and called balks on Sunday and Monday.

  • 0
Posted

Is he gaining any advantage? If he can vary his stretch/set well enough to confound batters, runners and umpires, get him an agent.

Try to see the ball shuffle as a continued toeing of the rubber. After he toes the rubber, do his hands come together and stop before the pitch? If he's 10 and the answer is yes, consider yourself lucky.

  • 0
Posted

A pitcher may do one of 3 things that aren't a balk.

1. Legally disengage by stepping off with the appropriate foot

2. Legally feint/throw to an occupied base

3. Pitch the ball.

Keep it simple @Sayhey

  • 0
Posted

I might add that if this is an age where leadoffs are not allowed and the runner can't leave until the ball is pitched / reaches the plate (whatever) that many balk regulations designed to protect the runner are properly ignored.

  • 0
Posted

I might add that if this is an age where leadoffs are not allowed and the runner can't leave until the ball is pitched / reaches the plate (whatever) that many balk regulations designed to protect the runner are properly ignored.

Correction..leadoffs are allowed and all proper rules apply.

 

Thanks for all the responses. I will clarify for some of the questions. With ball in glove, right handed pitcher takes to the mound with right foot on rubber and facing third base. After a brief pause F1 would transfer ball to throwing hand; hands would then separate. After looking at the runners F1 would come to the set position. My opinion is that you can't bring hands together twice without disengaging. BU felt the ball transfer was so quick it was not bringing hands together.

 

I also must add, our team was losing, so I wanted the balk. :violin:

 

I think @maven has it best. Fix it, don't balk it.

×
×
  • Create New...