UE, WV gold, wv platinum, or Douglas cp and shin guards?

mbkcoach
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3611 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

All star system 7 CP, have a Champro mag...just ordered a +Pos zero gravity mask. I have had my Champro for 5 years but this year has been tough on it. One shot for a concussion and a shot to the extended throat guard has left 2 welds broken.

$59 plus shipping. I ordered a new throat guard with mine so the charge was $75 w/shipping. My selection was based on weight and eye opening. It weights the same as my old Magnesium but has a wider view between bars. I will slap my team Wendy's pads and sun shield on it when it gets here.

• 3 weeks later...

CP's: Had or tried a bunch of different ones.  Original WV with Patent Pending on the front plate.   +POS Plastic Plates that looked like a Samurai warrior. Diamond iX3.  +POS AUL that zipped in front.  Honig's K-1 in silver 13"and in black 15".  WV Platinum, WV Gold in baby 10.5 inch size and now the Unequal.

I kept the WV Gold for 6 years.  The other ones were revolving door use during my first two or three years until I got WV Gold and thought I had found "THE ONE" for all time.  

Motto is, if you can afford it, try what ever you can.  I still have not tried Douglas, Champion, or about a dozen others.  Different strokes for different strokes.  I have worked college games with partners who wore almost every one of those I have mentioned here.  Almost every umpire loves his gear and his choice.  As he should.  I am still not completely married to my Unequal but we are becoming very friendly.  A couple more pops in it during summer college wooden bat games and showcase games and I may be inviting you all to the wedding.  Right now we are just dating.

Shinguards.

Had Gerry Davis original, Gerry Davis/Wilson DaviShins new and improved and now Unequal.  Love the Unequal.  Light, ventilated, comfortable, really fit well and been hit twice, once in left knee and right lower shin and did not even feel any pressure from the impact.  The ball just bounced right off in both places.  The knee protection was what I was having doubts about with the DaviShins.  Two hits that hurt like the dickens this spring and last fall caused me to have the doubts.

Nothing is perfect.  You just have to find what works best for you.

Major Dave I thinking of pulling the trigger on the Unequal CP and Shin Guards. Have you taken a shot in the shoulder area? Do you feel like there is ample protection up there? I have talked to people who have the Unequal and they absolutely love it. But no one can say if you take a shot on the shoulder it has enough protection. and by shoulder area, I am more concerned with my colar bone being covered. 

Thank you in advance.

CP's: Had or tried a bunch of different ones.  Original WV with Patent Pending on the front plate.   +POS Plastic Plates that looked like a Samurai warrior. Diamond iX3.  +POS AUL that zipped in front.  Honig's K-1 in silver 13"and in black 15".  WV Platinum, WV Gold in baby 10.5 inch size and now the Unequal.

I kept the WV Gold for 6 years.  The other ones were revolving door use during my first two or three years until I got WV Gold and thought I had found "THE ONE" for all time.  

Motto is, if you can afford it, try what ever you can.  I still have not tried Douglas, Champion, or about a dozen others.  Different strokes for different strokes.  I have worked college games with partners who wore almost every one of those I have mentioned here.  Almost every umpire loves his gear and his choice.  As he should.  I am still not completely married to my Unequal but we are becoming very friendly.  A couple more pops in it during summer college wooden bat games and showcase games and I may be inviting you all to the wedding.  Right now we are just dating.

Shinguards.

Had Gerry Davis original, Gerry Davis/Wilson DaviShins new and improved and now Unequal.  Love the Unequal.  Light, ventilated, comfortable, really fit well and been hit twice, once in left knee and right lower shin and did not even feel any pressure from the impact.  The ball just bounced right off in both places.  The knee protection was what I was having doubts about with the DaviShins.  Two hits that hurt like the dickens this spring and last fall caused me to have the doubts.

Major Dave I thinking of pulling the trigger on the Unequal CP and Shin Guards. Have you taken a shot in the shoulder area? Do you feel like there is ample protection up there? I have talked to people who have the Unequal and they absolutely love it. But no one can say if you take a shot on the shoulder it has enough protection. and by shoulder area, I am more concerned with my colar bone being covered. 

Thank you in advance.

Pull it and get it with a little more dough you can get also the mask.  You will adjust the collar bone protection according to your stance with Force3 CP. 

Shinguards.

Thank you in advance.

Took a shot in the shoulder the other night. No problems and it was a college game. As far as the collarbone, adjust the CP tightly around the neck area so your collarbone is covered. Get the All Star delta harness and you will never have to adjust the CP.  I also use the UE mask and I love it. When I was finally hit in the mask it was more startling than anything. Just a ting and almost like a slight tap. Kind of hard to explain. 

@Magic

Sorry so slow to reply. New job. Training and events. Whew!

You will not have collar bone protection issues with UE CP. Just adjust it to fit snugly against neck. I took everyone's advice and ordered All-Star Delta-Flex harness. They sent me wrong one but it worked then I got correct one and it's very nice. No slippage issues. As for shoulders. When fitting the UE get into your plate stance in front of a mirror and observe the shoulder protection. They Velcro attach to the CP so you can move them to inside proper protective location based on your body size and your plate stance. Been bit straight to chest. In side and in shoulders. 14s to D1/D2 summer wood bat level and not felt anything but pressure as if someone touched you with a finger.

Good luck. If you pull the trigger you will not be disappointed.

@Magic

You will not have collar bone protection issues with UE CP. Just adjust it to fit snugly against neck. I took everyone's advice and ordered All-Star Delta-Flex harness. They sent me wrong one but it worked then I got correct one and it's very nice. No slippage issues. As for shoulders. When fitting the UE get into your plate stance in front of a mirror and observe the shoulder protection. They Velcro attach to the CP so you can move them to inside proper protective location based on your body size and your plate stance. Been bit straight to chest. In side and in shoulders. 14s to D1/D2 summer wood bat level and not felt anything but pressure as if someone touched you with a finger.

It baffles me when people say they have never felt it when hit with a WV on. How do you know if you've been hit if you haven't felt it? 

Shinguards.

Thank you in advance.

Took a shot in the shoulder the other night. No problems and it was a college game. As far as the collarbone, adjust the CP tightly around the neck area so your collarbone is covered. Get the All Star delta harness and you will never have to adjust the CP.  I also use the UE mask and I love it. When I was finally hit in the mask it was more startling than anything. Just a ting and almost like a slight tap. Kind of hard to explain. 

I second everything the Major stated, I have owned the UE CP since last July and have taken numerous shots with no ill effects. While you at it, pull the trigger on the shins and get the CP for $150, I paid $200 for mine and would have loved to have been able to take advantage of that deal. Make sure to get a Allstar delta flex harness and remove the neck/collar bone attachment so that you have the center plate covering your collarbone. You will not be disappointed.

I have looked into adding my gold plates to the UE but until I take a shot that makes me doubt the protection offered by the UE I won't try to modify anything. 

@Magic

It baffles me when people say they have never felt it when hit with a WV on. How do you know if you've been hit if you haven't felt it? The ball bouncing off in front if you is a good indicator, as is the little movement of the cp, also tge coach or catcher saying "you good man?" Is a pretty decent sign, and the bang or clink sound tells you too, generally i say i didnt feel it to me I felt no pain or anything just a bump

Good for you Magic. It's been a really good experience for me so far. No regrets. Shipped off my WV Gold and DaviShins today to their new owner. Sold them faster than I initially thought I would. I like the UE stuff that much.

I would add the mask. But I have been a HSM guy for a while now. I just purchased the Wilson Titanium a couple of months ago. If I try and buy the mask now, I am pretty sure I will end up in Divorce court. I try to live by the saying, HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE!!!

• Like 1

Officially Ordered. I hope they will be here sometime next week. I Can't wait. I am like a kid in a Candy Store. I also have a buyer for my Honigs Chest Protector. And I will see if I can find someone to buy my Shin Guards too. 

post-1844-14029663536286.jpg

I bought this chest protector for 60 dollars and let me tell you this protector is just as good as my West vest.. Took a shot of Legion baseball off the chest didn't feel a thing.

Umpref19

I'll chime in on CP's when I do 10U i use a Champion P200 as it has longer coverage, and in 10U i need to cover more as catches not catching the ball requires extra torso coverage it is lesser but at that level I need more coverage even if its "lesser" coverage which the P200 provides, in 12U the catchers do catch the ball so the main concern is foul balls which general come in higher so I use a Platinum as it provides excellant high coverage but no lower coverage which in that level I simpily do not need it anyways. Just my 2¢

attachicon.gifIMAG0035.jpg

I bought this chest protector for 60 dollars and let me tell you this protector is just as good as my West vest.. Took a shot of Legion baseball off the chest didn't feel a thing.

Umpref19

I love my P200 but I still use a platinum in higher level ball