UE, WV gold, wv platinum, or Douglas cp and shin guards?

mbkcoach
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3611 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just got back after over 10 years out. Had no equipment. I got all Diamond featherweight stuff- mask, cp, and sgs. Hate the chin guards. Mask and cp are ok. Got these cause my boss is gonna take it out of my check. What should I get next? Doing pony ball now want to work way to varsity and college. Thanks.

mbkcoach;

please do a search in the equipment forum and read ALL of the threads about ALL of the equipment you're inquiring about.  If you still have questions, ...please come on here to ask.  Your questions have been discussed on the equipment forum adnauseum.  It's all there, just search, and happy reading! :wave:

Thanks Thunderheads have done many searches.  What do you wear? What would you suggest?

Great.

I have the All-Star System 7, 2 Douglas models, and a vintage West Vest (pre-Gold TW retrofit).  

If you've done many searches, what has been recommended for your level on the board?

I see buy the best stuff (to answer your question) If you had to pick one, which one would it be?

Yes, that recommendation is always prominent here. You also see MANY, MANY recommendations for different CPs, with reasoning,and lengthy discussions.

There are also many threads that compare and contrast all the CP's you're thinking about.

I've listed what I have.

I had all star system 7, nice rig, but profile was two high in the shoulder for me. I bought a wilson gold and had it retro fitted with Team wendy pads. Like it alot better, it's not as cool as the all star system. I guess with the fit so much more form fit, I sweat alot more in it. Douglas is a great one also, don't think you could go wrong with any of the 3 or the west vest platinum

CP's: Had or tried a bunch of different ones.  Original WV with Patent Pending on the front plate.   +POS Plastic Plates that looked like a Samurai warrior. Diamond iX3.  +POS AUL that zipped in front.  Honig's K-1 in silver 13"and in black 15".  WV Platinum, WV Gold in baby 10.5 inch size and now the Unequal.

I kept the WV Gold for 6 years.  The other ones were revolving door use during my first two or three years until I got WV Gold and thought I had found "THE ONE" for all time.  

Motto is, if you can afford it, try what ever you can.  I still have not tried Douglas, Champion, or about a dozen others.  Different strokes for different strokes.  I have worked college games with partners who wore almost every one of those I have mentioned here.  Almost every umpire loves his gear and his choice.  As he should.  I am still not completely married to my Unequal but we are becoming very friendly.  A couple more pops in it during summer college wooden bat games and showcase games and I may be inviting you all to the wedding.  Right now we are just dating.

Shinguards.

Had Gerry Davis original, Gerry Davis/Wilson DaviShins new and improved and now Unequal.  Love the Unequal.  Light, ventilated, comfortable, really fit well and been hit twice, once in left knee and right lower shin and did not even feel any pressure from the impact.  The ball just bounced right off in both places.  The knee protection was what I was having doubts about with the DaviShins.  Two hits that hurt like the dickens this spring and last fall caused me to have the doubts.

Nothing is perfect.  You just have to find what works best for you.

When I first decided I wanted to umpire, I bought a Platinum. Used it for a couple years and thought I might try something a little lower profile, so I went with the great-value Champion P200. I'm as confident with that as with the Platinum, but it's a 15 inch, so a little hotter.

Then I picked up a Shutt AirFlex2. For anything JV and below, this is my go-to CP. Light, low profile and cool. I've taken a couple big shots with it and would not want to take a bigger one with it.

I FINALLY got my gold-plated Douglas today and I'm anxious to try it. New pads, t-hooks and shoulder caps. I paid a sh!tload of cash for it, so I hope I like it. It's light, low profile and is known to be very protective. We'll see.

So I'm sitting on 4 CPs, and plan on using them all. My only observation is that they're all hard shells and I wouldn't consider soft shell.

Although if anyone wants to trade for a mask, I'd be willing to listen

You want CP advise I got some, DO NOT USE THE BUBBLE, IT STINKS HAS NO PROTECTION, Although once in a blue moon I do a 1 man crew rec game with coaches who I know, and if its hot on one of those games I use the bubble to keep cool, The champro P2000 is ok

Jeff has always been straight forward with me. There prices are high, but the quality is good. He always has charged me exactly what he said he would.