Pregame points

bam
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3668 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've forgotten which recent thread mentioned a pregame with a partner who either forgot or ignored the discussion, but it got me to thinking what you guys pregame.  I work with the same partner A LOT, so we're on the same page and don't really do a lot of pregame other than bringing up the fact that maybe we have a tough lefty today, or these two teams almost brawled last game, etc.  

A typical pre-game for me with a new/unfamiliar partner would be:

• signals
  • who's got the bases on the infield
  • Uncaught 3rd strike mechanic
  • check swing appeals
  • who has tags in different situation
  • this year's points of emphasis
  • INT/OBS mechanics
  • Ground rules (if either of us is familiar with the park), such as snow/temp fences, trees, etc.
  • foul ball off batter
  • who has responsibility for DBT plays
  • GLM signal

What else do you pre-game?

I looked through past threads for this and couldn't find anything as specific as the question of what SPECIFICALLY you pre-game, although I skimmed the topic titles, not the threads themselves.  

Here's our association's pregame form. Beware the naked triple mechanic. We follow Fed strictly and Fed has it's head up its rear end on this one.

http://ocboa.com/pdf_lib/14-03-18%20OCBOA%202-Umpire%20PreGame%20v1.2.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's our association's pregame form. Beware the naked triple mechanic. We follow Fed strictly and Fed has it's head up its rear end on this one.

http://ocboa.com/pdf_lib/14-03-18%20OCBOA%202-Umpire%20PreGame%20v1.2.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FED coverage on a triple is for old men. Sorry if I am ruffling feathers here but I am athletic enough to get my butt from A and be in a HOK set for a play at 3B. No reason for PU to leave home.

• Like 2

I see no reason for the PU to be involved in covering 3rd in any ground ball situation. There is not that much ground to cover that we can't get both ends of that play.

I see no reason for the PU to be involved in covering 3rd in any ground ball situation. There is not that much ground to cover that we can't get both ends of that play.

While I agree with you, note that CCA and (I think) pro mechanics both have PU down there.

The thing that I don't understand about BU releasing to cover HP on the triple is when do I release. If BR turns back to 2B, I'd look silly if I had already released to cover HP. If I wait until BR reaches 3B to release, then I'm going to be too late covering/adjusting at HP on a close play.

I pregame this and I have found no one in our chapter wants PU to cover 3B.

The thing that I don't understand about BU releasing to cover HP on the triple is when do I release. If BR turns back to 2B, I'd look silly if I had already released to cover HP. If I wait until BR reaches 3B to release, then I'm going to be too late covering/adjusting at HP on a close play.

The same time as you'd rotate to the plate as U1 in three man -- when R1 commits to third.

(Not that I'm recommending it for the triple in two man.  And, under some mechanics, even if PU comes up, PU goes home if there's a play there -- so if you use it be sure which version you are using)

What are these FED mechanics you speak of?? Are these mechanics that your state associations adopt or is it something that NFHS publishes? Here in Washington we have a manual put out by the WOA, which are our mechanics. The PU covering third with nobody on didn't make it in there.

R1 with ground ball in infield PU rotates up to third and then retreats back to the plate if out is recorded at 2B. If R1 is safe at 2nd base PU has potential play coming into 3B.

No runners on with a triple is where there is different ways. PBUC manual has BU taking the BR all the way, FED has PU taking BR at 3B and BU covering home.

What are these FED mechanics you speak of?? Are these mechanics that your state associations adopt or is it something that NFHS publishes? Here in Washington we have a manual put out by the WOA, which are our mechanics. The PU covering third with nobody on didn't make it in there.

FED publishes a mechanics manual.  Some states / areas use it, some modify it, some don't use it at all.

The key (regardless of the prescribed mechanics) is to communicate pre-game how these situations will be handled.  Just because it's in a manual somewhere doesn't mean that is how a given crew would or should handle it.

For example, there are many umpires (myself included) that will want everything on the bases as BU.  Stuff like this needs to be discussed pre-game, the goal is to have coverage on every call (potential or actual) and not have 2 guys moving towards the same place.

The same time as you'd rotate to the plate as U1 in three man -- when R1 commits to third.

I'm not disputing this, but if the runner turns back from 3B and gets himself into a rundown:

1) I assume PU has the runner until BU can join back in: 

2) BU goes back and takes the 2B side of the rundown.

Is that correct? ...that'd look ugly.

and not have 2 guys moving towards the same place.

Or worse zero.

You always want an odd number of umpires at a potential play at a base. 3 would take a high degree of messing up to happen, but at least when the 3 don't all call the same way they won't need to conference on what they each had, you can just go with the majority call. 

• Like 1

As fun as it is to discuss how federation mechanics are mostly useless I believe what to talk about in a pregame is the whole point of this discussion.

I like to run through things in order of responsibilities.

Ball/Strike (including check swing, hit batter, uncaught third strike)

Fair/Foul

Catch/No Catch (Outfield and infield coverage, umpire going out)

Safe/Out (including who is going to be where on what plays, rotations, force play slide, swipe tag, pulled foot)

Tags/Touches 

Then anything else- pre-pitch signals, situation management, quirks about the field etc

I've forgotten which recent thread mentioned a pregame with a partner who either forgot or ignored the discussion, but it got me to thinking what you guys pregame.  I work with the same partner A LOT, so we're on the same page and don't really do a lot of pregame other than bringing up the fact that maybe we have a tough lefty today, or these two teams almost brawled last game, etc.  

• signals
  • check swing appeals
  • INT/OBS mechanics
  • Ground rules (if either of us is familiar with the park), such as snow/temp fences, trees, etc.
  • foul ball off batter
  • GLM signal

I looked through past threads for this and couldn't find anything as specific as the question of what SPECIFICALLY you pre-game, although I skimmed the topic titles, not the threads themselves.  

I make sure I pregame verbal signals as well as non-verbal. I want my partner to know exactly what to listen for should we need a verbal signal such as "I've got third" or "I've got a catch/no catch." Also how to handle if a coach comes out for an explanation or asking us to get help in addition to what will happen should we dump a coach. If it is cloudy we will also pregame weather precautions and discuss if it is supposed to rain what we look for before we suspend the game.

My list looks like this:

1. Fair/foul responsibilities

2. foul off the batter

3. Catch/no catch responsibilities

4. check swing

5. Signals (verbal/nonverbal)

6. D3K signal

7. IFF signal

8. Asking for help

9. Should we have to dump a coach

10. rotations

11. Tag responsibilities

12. Run downs

13. What we know about the teams as far as pitching and tendencies

14. weather conditions (if these apply)

15. Prayer

I've forgotten which recent thread mentioned a pregame with a partner who either forgot or ignored the discussion, but it got me to thinking what you guys pregame. I work with the same partner A LOT, so we're on the same page and don't really do a lot of pregame other than bringing up the fact that maybe we have a tough lefty today, or these two teams almost brawled last game, etc.

• signals
  • check swing appeals
  • INT/OBS mechanics
  • foul ball off batter
  • GLM signal

I make sure I pregame verbal signals as well as non-verbal. I want my partner to know exactly what to listen for should we need a verbal signal such as "I've got third" or "I've got a catch/no catch." Also how to handle if a coach comes out for an explanation or asking us to get help in addition to what will happen should we dump a coach. If it is cloudy we will also pregame weather precautions and discuss if it is supposed to rain what we look for before we suspend the game.

My list looks like this:

1. Fair/foul responsibilities

2. foul off the batter

3. Catch/no catch responsibilities

4. check swing

5. Signals (verbal/nonverbal)

6. D3K signal

7. IFF signal

8. Asking for help

9. Should we have to dump a coach

10. rotations

11. Tag responsibilities

12. Run downs

13. What we know about the teams as far as pitching and tendencies

14. weather conditions (if these apply)

15. Prayer

When you say, "I've got a catch/no catch." What do you mean? Do you mean you are taking responsibility for the fly ball? Or are you saying the ball has been caught or not caught?

I would suggest everyone come up with their own pre-game. Don't just use one in a manual. Make it your own. Type it up, laminate it and keep it with you.

You are going to have partners you are very familiar with where very little if any pre-game is necessary. You are going to work with really good umpires who know what they are doing and you aren't going to need to pre-game with the exception of a couple scenarios. You are going to work with people who don't have a clue and you are wasting your breath. And you are going to work with newer umpires who you haven't worked with before. Adjust your pre-game accordingly to meet your needs for that day.

Don't insult someone who obviously knows what they are doing by going over some detailed 30 minute diatribe.

Don't skip over things with a pup thinking they know.

A question I get asked more than anything else is "Can I sit in on your pre-game?" I usually tell them to sit in on our post-game because they're going to learn more then than they would listening to 3 guys busting each other's balls.

• Like 2