Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4562 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am in the market for a new pair of plate shoes. Can you all let me know what you prefer? I have an old pair of New Balance and I like them alot. But I am not sure if I want the new New Balance or the Reebok Zigs.

 

Thank you.

Posted

I'm not a huge fan of the way the zigs look but they are very comfortable. The 460s look great in my opinion but I've never been a fan of high top/ mid-cut shoes of any kind especially plate shoes. I have both and I can't even remember the last time I used the 460s. I do recommend getting the all black version of the zigs if thats the route you choose to go just because they don't show dirt as bad if you only have time to give them a quick wipe down and not a full cleaning. If you can find them the old reeboks are the way to go. I still wear those more than any other plate shoe I have just because they clean up so nice and they are super comfortable. 

Posted

Love the Zigs and wouldnt wear anything else. Think the NB look like moon boots!

I agree with @Platejob29. Get the all black version. Also, the difference between the mid top and the low top Zigs is beyond negligible. Almost to the point of not being any different at all.

Now I have come across some reports of people having issues with the thin leather strip that holds the metatarsal late to the front of the shoe on the Zigs. But I have never had a complaint about it with my all black low tops.

I say wear with confidence. Just dont try and knock off the mud by hitting them against a wall...

  • Like 1
Posted

If you have a really wide foot, the zigs may not work for you. I wear a size 12 in every show I own but had to go with a 13 in the zig.

Posted

I love my 460s. My zig plates just did not fit well. Narrow and I don't have a wide foot.

  • Like 2
Posted

If you can find the Reebok Magistraits (the shoe prior to the Zigs) get those. Comfortable, easy to clean and great protection.

  • Like 3
Posted

If you can find the Reebok Magistraits (the shoe prior to the Zigs) get those. Comfortable, easy to clean and great protection.

The have some on Amazon but the size selection is extremely limited

Posted

http://www.myshoespot.com/c-24-mens-shoes.aspx?searchterm=-field%20magistrate    I just recently ordered the old reebok magistrates from here. Great service!

I've done business with these guys a few times and they are really good to work with. Get them while they still have them.

I love my 460s. My zig plates just did not fit well. Narrow and I don't have a wide foot.

460's are an excellent shoe

Posted

I am in the market for a new pair of plate shoes. Can you all let me know what you prefer? I have an old pair of New Balance and I like them alot. But I am not sure if I want the new New Balance or the Reebok Zigs.

 

Thank you.

Massive improvement from the 450 to 460. The width is actually correct on the 460. The 450 I had were way too tight.

  • Like 1
Posted

$65? That seems like a steal. I dont have a very wide foot. One foot is a little wider than the other, due to a Motorcycle accident. I usually wear a size 11. Should I get an 11.5 D or EEEE???

Posted

Cannot wear Reebok because the last (the footbed / form the entire shoe is built off of) is wrong for me, and gives me nothing but backaches. I got NB 460's last year and love 'em. You feel like a rock star with them on.

Posted

I have both.  My only complaint of the 460 is I could use a little bit more "grip" from the soles.  They aren't slippery but just not as good as the Zigs and Magistrates.  

Posted

For those that have both (or have tried on both) how do sizes compare.  I wear a 13 in the zigs but when I ordered a pair of the 460 in 13 wide (which is the same size NB running shoe I wear) I foot would slip out the back when I walked.  

Posted

I am a Size 11 EE

NB 450 were very tight, and I had to buy an 11.5 Wide 2E and still felt just a little cramped, but I didn't know it until the 460 came out. 

NB 460 were so much better as they were wider by default and I felt like they fit better.  11 EE fit amazingly well. 

RBK Magistrate Low - Had to buy the 11.5 D as I could not find EE at the time.   They are. . . OK.  A little cramped, but not harmful.

RBK Zigs - tried on the 11.5 D and they were un-wearable for me as they were extremely narrow and cramped.  Felt like I was rolling over the side of the sole, like ice skates. 

 

Side note on seasoning your shoes to taste:

I recommend visiting the Dr Scholls computer and getting a quality pair of inserts.   Everyone's feet are different.   Shoes are so much nicer when they fit your foot perfectly and support everything in the exact place needed.  

 

For me, good arch support has eliminated my Plantar Fasciitis (heel spur) pain.   The arch supports passively stretch the arch and also keep it from hyper-extending and stressing the connecting tissue to the heel (which is the actual source of Plantar Fasciitis pain.)   I use Superfeet and they are amazing.   My father-in-law and both my boys have similar heel issues and Superfeet have been the solution for all four of us. 

Posted

The New Balance's are more generous in their volume. I wear a 11 in all shoes from Nike... I have since I was 14 years old. I've noticed that Adidas and Reebok are similar, but a "smidge" tighter. UnderArmour shoes are about equal as well, with a slight difference in the arch placement. Not much, but I have noticed. As I mentioned before, it's because of the last on Adidas and Reebok (Adidas owns Reebok) shoes that jacks my spine up. I tried New Balance and liked them. In just about everybody else's shoes (Merrill, Keen, Skechers, etc.) I'll be somewhere, depending on the style and the last, at a 10.5 or 11.

 

I told you all that to tell you this... I worked at REI for 4 years. I snowboard and I skate... I've tried on many different types of hiking boots, snowboard boots, skates, work boots, etc. Ya know what these NB 460's feel like? A cavernous hiking boot. The length is good, and the arch-fall is right where it should be, but you're left with the feeling that you should _try_ a half-size shorter. Not that it does much good, because you will probably end up with that nagging feeling of the end pressing on your toes, but you equally have a... unsure feeling like standing alone in a big, vast dark warehouse.

 

New Balance is _not_ using their running shoe form on these. This is much more like, as I said, a work boot or hiking boot, where it's tempting you to wear double socks. You know what it would work _really_ well with? Those lace-up ankle braces alot of (older) athletes may wear. Or, they may have kept all that space at the ankles for those umpires who have shin guard flaps that can tuck into the cuff of the shoe. Not sure on that one, but I do know I need to yank the laces pretty tight to snug up these size 11's.

 

PS- After reading @sdix00 's advice, I heartily agree... The NB 460's would probably do _very_ well with (and may have been built with that internal volume in mind especially for) inserts. Heck, they probably were developed with full-blown orthodics in mind.

  • Like 1
Posted

Talked to 2 guys today that have the Magistrates. They both had the leather that holds the Metatarsle plate break. I think I am going to go with the 460's. NOw to decide between an 11EE and an 11.5D???

Posted

Talked to 2 guys today that have the Magistrates. They both had the leather that holds the Metatarsle plate break. I think I am going to go with the 460's. NOw to decide between an 11EE and an 11.5D???

Go wide.

Your feet will swell as the game goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Posted

I wear my 460s in my regular size but "widthed up" one.  Fit is perfect - if I had upsized a half-size (which I could not) they would be too big.

 

The NB 950 base shoes are a different story for me - I followed the same strategy, it did not work out as well, these are on the running shoe last.  Next time I will upsize as well as go wider as these get painful after more than one game on the bases.  Good thing I have a couple of pair of Reeboks which fit better.

  • Like 1
Posted

I wear my 460s in my regular size but "widthed up" one. Fit is perfect - if I had upsized a half-size (which I could not) they would be too big.

The NB 950 base shoes are a different story for me - I followed the same strategy, it did not work out as well, these are on the running shoe last. Next time I will upsize as well as go wider as these get painful after more than one game on the bases. Good thing I have a couple of pair of Reeboks which fit better.

I don't know what the problem was with mine. They definitely ran 1/2 size too big, and I could even have fit into an 11 with a little room to spare.

Base shoes had to be 11.5 also. Both plate and base shoes are 2E.

Now my New Balance running shoes are a true 12. Hence my confusion. Oh well.

×
×
  • Create New...