Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4625 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

This is the video where LH batter swings very late, F2's throw to get a stealing R1 hits Batter in the helmet and caroms high in the air to F6.

 

Interference or play on?

 

The actual choices are:

 

 

 

a. This is a strike on the hitter. The ball is dead as the catcher's throw hit the batter, who was legally in the batter's box. Return R1 to first base.

 

b. This should not be ruled a strike as the batter is not making an actual attempt to hit the ball.

 

c. This is interference on the batter. As soon as the catcher's initial throw fails to retire R1, the umpire should call "time." The batter is called out for interference and R1 is returned to first base.

 

d. This is a strike on the batter. A late swing is still a swing. The batter is within the batter's box and does nothing to intentionally interfere with the catcher's throw to second base. The ball is alive and in play.

Posted

Has to be D.

 

 

D

 

So you don't think the batter's movements rise to the level of interference?

 

(Not saying whether I agree or disagree, only that there's a discussion here about it)

Posted

The way the question is worded I don't think you can get INT - my answer would be "D" as well

I'm confused.

 

the question is "By rule, what should be the outcome or ruling on this video play?"  I don't see how that leads to any specific answer.

 

It's the same question (except for a typo) for all 10 video plays -- The description I gave is just to point those who are taking the test to the correct video since I can't copy and paste the video here.

Posted

 

The way the question is worded I don't think you can get INT - my answer would be "D" as well

I'm confused.

 

the question is "By rule, what should be the outcome or ruling on this video play?"  I don't see how that leads to any specific answer.

 

It's the same question (except for a typo) for all 10 video plays -- The description I gave is just to point those who are taking the test to the correct video since I can't copy and paste the video here.

 

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone.  The statement of the situation says only that the batter swung very late, nothing more.  I don't see an INT call in that.  Perhaps the video shows something else which spurs a discussion on INT, but without being able to see that, I'd have a strike on the batter and continuing play on the deflected throw.

  • Like 1
Posted

Don't know the NCAA rule, but in OBR, I can easily see this late swing being judged as "any other movement" which would qualify as interference even if the batter was firmly planted in the box.

Posted

D if for no other reason then the batter is still within the confines of the box. F2 actually steps behind B2 and pelts him in the back of the head. The mistake was F2's not B2xs

Posted

D.

 

Swinging late isn't interference.  I don't remember this video being show in Dallas, but I have slept since then. 

Posted

I answered D.  F2 threw it right into the head of the batter, who was clearly in the box and not making an unusual movement into the ball to interfere.

×
×
  • Create New...