Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4661 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Received the following email from our state governing body:

 

December 20, 2013
 
Associations/Certified Officials:
 
You may have heard of the recent legislation regarding concussion management referred to as “Jenna’s Law†– SB 721. In summary this law requires that all officials working non-school and private school contests involving athletes under the age of 18 receive annual training in recognizing the symptoms of a concussion and seeking proper medical treatment for an athlete suspected of having a concussion.
 
In addition “referee governing bodies†must adopt a policy that establishes this training requirement and also establish procedures to ensure that all officials working these contests receive the training each year.
 
This law goes into affect  January 1, 2014.
 
Many of our associations assign officials to private high school games, and many associations also assign youth/recreational contests.  Thus, we strongly urge all members of local associations to undergoing the training as soon as possible.
 
The OSAA Executive Board has already discussed requiring all officials to undergoing annual concussion management training as a condition of certification beginning next school year.
 
The NFHS provides a free 20-30 minute online course which complies with this statutory requirement.  A link to the course can be found on the OAOA website http://www.nfhslearn.com/electiveDetail.aspx?courseID=38000.

 
The course can be taken individually (a completion certificate is generated) or can be taken as a group at one of your meetings.  Also, the training requirement can be met by a qualified speaker providing the instruction in person.
 
Finally, it’s important that each association keep a record of those officials who have completed the training.

----------------------------------------

 

New to you guys as well?  Sounds like a must-do, but at least it's free.

 

Posted

It's free, IF you are a member of NFHS. As I live in a "partial" state, I do not get that privilege. And this is only necessary because not all coaches can be trusted to act in the best interest of his or her players.

Posted

The CDC also has a free course as well, but the NFHS one has the advantage of storing a record of your completion online in case you lose or fail to print off. I think the NFHS concussion course is one of the few free to anyone courses as well, you just have to register (again, for free).

Posted

It has been the law for all high school officials and coaches in NJ since the 2011-2012 school year. I know officials who have lost their entire schedules because they did not complete the course prior to their season's opening date(s).

 

Various officials' organizations have offered group certifications by having their membership sit through the certification videos, but it takes only about 20 minutes and provides officials with the tools to keep players safe.

 

I had never thought I would have never neeed it because I had never seen any kids in baseball or volleyball take any shots to the head in all my years of officiating. Within 5 days of each other last fall, a catcher took a foul ball right between the eyes while wearing a HSM, and a volleyball player konked her head into a teammates' knee while diving for a ball. In both instances, I said that the players looked like they were exhibiting signs of a consussion (glassy eyes, slow to react, etc) and both coaches immediately agreed.

 

The baseball coach said he didn't have another catcher, and I told him that I did not really like hearing that as I would likely be the one getting peppered with skipped and missed pitches, but he immediately removed his player. Similarly, the volleyball coach made a substitution at once.

 

Schools in NJ are also required to do baseline testing of all athletes, which helps in trying to determine whether or not a head shot has caused a concucssion and whther or not the student continues to suffer the ill efects of one.

 

The course is worth the time and should not cause any undue hardships. It also provides protections to the official who errs on the side of caution in NJ, since athletes removed for possible concussions are barred from returning the same day unless a physician certified in concussion management certifies the player is safe to return to the contest.

Posted

It has been the law for all high school officials and coaches in NJ since the 2011-2012 school year. I know officials who have lost their entire schedules because they did not complete the course prior to their season's opening date(s).

 

Various officials' organizations have offered group certifications by having their membership sit through the certification videos, but it takes only about 20 minutes and provides officials with the tools to keep players safe.

 

I had never thought I would have never neeed it because I had never seen any kids in baseball or volleyball take any shots to the head in all my years of officiating. Within 5 days of each other last fall, a catcher took a foul ball right between the eyes while wearing a HSM, and a volleyball player konked her head into a teammates' knee while diving for a ball. In both instances, I said that the players looked like they were exhibiting signs of a consussion (glassy eyes, slow to react, etc) and both coaches immediately agreed.

 

The baseball coach said he didn't have another catcher, and I told him that I did not really like hearing that as I would likely be the one getting peppered with skipped and missed pitches, but he immediately removed his player. Similarly, the volleyball coach made a substitution at once.

 

Schools in NJ are also required to do baseline testing of all athletes, which helps in trying to determine whether or not a head shot has caused a concucssion and whther or not the student continues to suffer the ill efects of one.

 

The course is worth the time and should not cause any undue hardships. It also provides protections to the official who errs on the side of caution in NJ, since athletes removed for possible concussions are barred from returning the same day unless a physician certified in concussion management certifies the player is safe to return to the contest.

Schools in NJ are also required to do baseline testing of all athletes, which helps in trying to determine whether or not a head shot has caused a concucssion and whther or not the student continues to suffer the ill efects of one.

 

The course is worth the time and should not cause any undue hardships. It also provides protections to the official who errs on the side of caution in NJ, since athletes removed for possible concussions are barred from returning the same day unless a physician certified in concussion management certifies the player is safe to return to the contest.

 

So what about the umpires??? Why are they not required to do baseline testing. Are the umpires just a piece of meat.

What happens when the umpire goes down. Do they work a 1 man. Is the BU scheduled for the game told to bring his gear in case their partner goes down? If an umpire is removed, do they have to have a physician's note to return just like MLBU? If not why not? Once again are all us guys a piece of meat.

 

Maybe that's why SEC uses a 4 man. If the PU goes down they can still work a 3 man which still provides extra coverage and not be forced to go to a 2 man for their Conference games.

 

What about testing for the all the College guys??or are they just a piece of meat also.

Posted

We have a mini-concussion lecture every year I've done baseball and football with the MHSAA, which does follow NFHS. It is more in line with what a concussion is and what the athlete needs to do after suffering a concussion.

 

I wish it would involve more of "how to tell if a kid needs to be pulled". Maybe it will next year.

Posted

In Washington, we are required to take a concussion awareness online clinic every two years through the WOA (Washington Officials Association). However, I believe we are required to watch a concussion video every year through the WIAA (Washington Interscholastic Athletic Association).

I am not as familiar with what Oregon requires or our college group as I have only been with them for one and zero years respectively.

Posted

 

 

 

So what about the umpires??? Why are they not required to do baseline testing. Are the umpires just a piece of meat.

What happens when the umpire goes down. Do they work a 1 man. Is the BU scheduled for the game told to bring his gear in case their partner goes down? If an umpire is removed, do they have to have a physician's note to return just like MLBU? If not why not? Once again are all us guys a piece of meat.

 

Maybe that's why SEC uses a 4 man. If the PU goes down they can still work a 3 man which still provides extra coverage and not be forced to go to a 2 man for their Conference games.

 

What about testing for the all the College guys??or are they just a piece of meat also.

 

 

 

Sports officials are independent contractors. While necessary to officate a given athletic event, the schools have no responsibility to their general welfare as they do the student athletes who attend those institutions. None of us likely want to hear that, but it is the cold truth.

 

Maybe the officlas' organizations should start to use some of the dues monies they collect for the benefit of all the mebership and intitiate some of these procedures.

 

Maybe those same organizations should start lobbying state organizations that oversee athletics that a third officla is necessary to address the possibility of an officlal sustaining a concussion during an event. Since public schools are stretched thin as it is, I would venture that cost will trump safety concerns

 

  • Like 4
Posted

There is no requirement yet here, I think they still go on the line used at the plate conference - "do you have medical personnel for your team?"

Our local board gets training. Many of our members have medical training, and we make sure we get the info out. We use a program that the University of Maine designed for their athletics. The head trainer has been great to get the info out if folks ask for it.

Posted

That question does not absolve the umpire of keeping an eye out for the safety of a player. It simply makes it so that the player can be looked at by a trained professional at the field. It does not carry the same weight as one like "is your team properly and legally equiped" which puts the onus on the HC for player equipment and such.

  • Like 1
Posted

It has been the law for all high school officials and coaches in NJ since the 2011-2012 school year. I know officials who have lost their entire schedules because they did not complete the course prior to their season's opening date(s).

 

Various officials' organizations have offered group certifications by having their membership sit through the certification videos, but it takes only about 20 minutes and provides officials with the tools to keep players safe.

 

I had never thought I would have never neeed it because I had never seen any kids in baseball or volleyball take any shots to the head in all my years of officiating. Within 5 days of each other last fall, a catcher took a foul ball right between the eyes while wearing a HSM, and a volleyball player konked her head into a teammates' knee while diving for a ball. In both instances, I said that the players looked like they were exhibiting signs of a consussion (glassy eyes, slow to react, etc) and both coaches immediately agreed.

 

The baseball coach said he didn't have another catcher, and I told him that I did not really like hearing that as I would likely be the one getting peppered with skipped and missed pitches, but he immediately removed his player. Similarly, the volleyball coach made a substitution at once.

 

Schools in NJ are also required to do baseline testing of all athletes, which helps in trying to determine whether or not a head shot has caused a concucssion and whther or not the student continues to suffer the ill effects of one.

 

The course is worth the time and should not cause any undue hardships. It also provides protections to the official who errs on the side of caution in NJ, since athletes removed for possible concussions are barred from returning the same day unless a physician certified in concussion management certifies the player is safe to return to the contest.

I have officiated soccer,baseball and volleyball. I have administrated softball,basketball,wrestling, and football. I also site manage a sports complex that covers soccer,field hockey,lax,kickball,baseball,softball and even occasionally extreme Frisbee. I have seen and even diagnosed my share of concussions. Looking for signs of concussion can be as varied and confusing as signs of a heart attack. Some will show very minor signs, others several signs. The important thing is if you see any, get them out of the game.
Posted

There is no requirement yet here, I think they still go on the line used at the plate conference - "do you have medical personnel for your team?"

Our local board gets training. Many of our members have medical training, and we make sure we get the info out. We use a program that the University of Maine designed for their athletics. The head trainer has been great to get the info out if folks ask for it.

 

That question does not absolve the umpire of keeping an eye out for the safety of a player. It simply makes it so that the player can be looked at by a trained professional at the field. It does not carry the same weight as one like "is your team properly and legally equiped" which puts the onus on the HC for player equipment and such.

 

NJ affords officials in all HS sports the authority to remove players without needing any approval from any medical personnel. Once an official indicates to the HC that their player is exhibiting any symptoms associated with a concussion, the player is done for the day. The only exception to this rule is when a physician, certified in the treatment of head and brain injuries, provides written documentation that a student athlete is fit to return to action.

 

Score one for common sense!

Posted

I totally agree that asking the coaches does not absolve us of any responsibility, but not sure how it is backed up by the state principles association - I will check into this.

 

I have no problem removing players from games, and have been questioned by coaches for doing so. I will never understand why they would question our concern for THEIR players.

I have been a paramedic 20+ years, and I am the first to sit kids, for any kid of head or serious injury.

 

In my work as one of the UIC's in the SLWS here this year, I sent 3 to the hospital (removed them from the field, as all were defensive players), right after the play happened. It made a couple of the coaches mad, as they were key players - my thought is, look out for the kids and sucks to be the coach. We have a trainer in each dug-out, but hospital calls are made by me, and the tournament director is great about backing my decision and requires a doctors note to return for any injury that is sent.

Posted

We have even been told to not allow a kid back in, even with a DR. note. Now, if they have medical personnel, we just send the kid to them and it is in their hands.

×
×
  • Create New...