Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4695 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted
Point if you need to sell it. Pitch barely hits him. Defense is arguing he didn't make an attempt. HBP vs. Foul Ball (hand or bat) Get in front of the hitter if he doesn't immediately drop the bat and go to first. No need to make an issue when there isn't one. Gotta love the "Hey, look at me!" guys who chase the batter to 1st when he drops the bat, takes off his body armour, and walks to 1st without even looking at the pitcher. Obviously if you KNOW a throwing situation might be coming - after a pimped HR, etc. - you should get out in front of the batter. Sell calls that need to be sold, answer questions before their asked, and your level of reaction should always be equal to the level of the action.
Great post and exactly how it should be done. What gets me is the batters that barely get nicked and I may not be 100% sure if it hit him. They just stand there and kinda just look at you. I just get ready for the next pitch.
Posted

 

 

 

Devils Advocate- Why would you point to first? BR knows where to go. It's not like he's going to take off to 3rd base!

Well, one reason is b/c he may also be told to stay at the plate.  Not all HBP is awarded 1B.  Do you point when you say "Stay here" to let everyone know he is not going to 1B?  Or, just say it and leave everyone in confusion why the batter stood there?  For obvious ones where he is hit in the back, everyone knows.  But, when it grazes his shirt and you call "Time", does everyone know why you called "Time"?  Or, do you stand there for 5 seconds waiting to see what the batter does?

 

I point on non-obvious ones to let everyone know why I called "Time" and why the batter is going to 1B.  B/c I told him to.

 

 

That's why I follow up my "Time!" call with "Got him!" while patting/pointing to the corresponding place on my body where the batter got hit.  This is important because it shows that you have absolute confidence in what you saw/heard.  Pointing to first, at this point, is unnecessary.  Not saying you shouldn't point him to first, just that I don't think there is a need.

 

"Got him", point.  Same thing except one is verbal and one is physical.  Though, "Got him" is probably not taught.  Pointing is more likely to be.  And, I just am not pointing to where the ball hit the player.  Everyone saw where the ball was and can guess where it hit him.  I'm pretty confident when I point to 1B that I said "The ball hit the batter".

 

 

Like I said, not saying pointing is wrong - we each do what works for us.  Like MidAm says above, "answer questions before they're asked."  By pointing to where it hit the batter, I am answering the question, "Where'd it hit him?" before it gets asked.  Even though they can see the general area of where the ball is, they sometimes still want to know that you saw where it hit him.

Posted

 

 

Sell calls that need to be sold, answer questions before their asked, and your level of reaction should always be equal to the level of the action.

Good stuff right here and applicable to everything we do between the lines.

Posted

Up until a few weeks ago, I called "Dead!" for a HBP. After reading one of the threads on UE, I found that I should say, "Time!"

I have always pointed to first on the "not so obvious" HBP. I do it for two reasons: 1) sell the call, and 2) to communicate with my partner, as he may not have seen the HBP.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

@FlaUmp22 - several mlb umpires do this. Some even with their right hand

 

 

Pro school doesn't teach to point. What we see MLB guys do on TV, we simply cannot do. They're at the level we dream of being.  

Posted

 

@FlaUmp22 - several mlb umpires do this. Some even with their right hand

 

 

Pro school doesn't teach to point. What we see MLB guys do on TV, we simply cannot do. They're at the level we dream of being.  

 

 

I like the point on the Puig HBP up there, as it differentiates between an up and in pitch that hit him vs an up and in pitch that might have nicked the knob/bat.  Time being the same signal for foul ball.

Posted

@FlaUmp22 - several mlb umpires do this. Some even with their right hand

  Pro school doesn't teach to point. What we see MLB guys do on TV, we simply cannot do. They're at the level we dream of being.

while I wouldn't point with my right hand, I will occasionally point the award. I personally don't care what pro school says do or don't do. I have no desire to ever attend a 5 week camp to travel for a job that pays minimum wage (or less). Funny how we can emulate some things (Danny's "BANG" on Prince Fielder) and noone says a word. Also not taught at pro school, btw.

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...