calling a coach "coach"

CodyLoe15
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3935 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Well we are going to agree to disagree. You can insult me all you want, and if that helps you sleep better at night so be it. I have advanced very far in my short High School Career. I have worked with guys of all caliber. And the majority of the mentors I have say the same thing, if you remember his name use it. If you don't? Call him Coach. If you are not sure then call him Coach. If you call him by the wrong name you lose ALL credibility.

If you decide to advance to the college level and call the manager "coach" he may decide to rip you a new one. He is a manager, coaches work for him and it's disrespectful. If you can't remember his name then "skip" or "skipper" would be better. There's nothing requiring you to use their names but it is more professional and at the higher levels they should be using yours also. It will be noticed if you don't.  

I decided to speak to a college coach about this and she laughed at the thought of being upset about being called ''Coach" and wondered if they are producing way too many hyper sensitive coaches or umps these days.

In college, How do administrators, players, etc, address that manager?  As "Manager Joe"? As "Skipper Joe"?  No, they are addressed as "Coach Smith".

She? I didn't know we were talking about softball here.

At the college level in baseball, first names are used by every partner I have worked with. Would most coaches get seething mad? Probably not, but that is the norm in that setting. Just like other cultural norms, customs, etc.

Not sure what the difference would be...A manager is a manager... Softball or baseball. Both are collegiate

Not sure what the difference would be...A manager is a manager... Softball or baseball. Both are collegiate

This can't be further from the truth. Many of the traditions of college baseball come from Professional baseball. Many of the Managers in college baseball have had some type of professional experience either as a player or bench coach. In the pros, umpires, managers, coaches and players are all on a first name basis. When these former players and coaches enter into the college ranks, these traditions follow them.

• Like 2

This can't be further from the truth. Many of the traditions of college baseball come from Professional baseball. Many of the Managers in college baseball have had some type of professional experience either as a player or bench coach. In the pros, umpires, managers, coaches and players are all on a first name basis. When these former players and coaches enter into the college ranks, these traditions follow them.

I have no idea where this stuff comes from. I follow Big Ten baseball closely and no where, at no time is a head coach referred to as a manager. Not on a university website, Big Ten website or in person (ie interviews). They are and always have been "Coach" or 'Head coach"....That is true in DI thru DIII. Go to Youtube and look for various interviews with college head coaches. They are always referred to as "Coach"

Again, whether it is collegiate softball or baseball, they are known as "Head coach" or ''coach".....And just as in college basketball or football, players refer to their coach as "Coach".

My daughter plays DII college softball and she would never use the coach's first name. Never

At the pro level, it is completely different

I have no idea where this stuff comes from. I follow Big Ten baseball closely and no where, at no time is a head coach referred to as a manager. Not on a university website, Big Ten website or in person (ie interviews). They are and always have been "Coach" or 'Head coach"....That is true in DI thru DIII. Go to Youtube and look for various interviews with college head coaches. They are always referred to as "Coach"

Again, whether it is collegiate softball or baseball, they are known as "Head coach" or ''coach".....And just as in college basketball or football, players refer to their coach as "Coach".

My daughter plays DII college softball and she would never use the coach's first name. Never

Hmmmm...free advice: this isn't a selling point here.

At the pro level, it is completely different The interaction between players and coaches is completely different than between umpires and coaches, apples and oranges.

Well I'm sorry... I can't comment on what goes on in Big 10 baseball, but in my neck of the woods, the coahing staffs in the SEC, ACC, Southern Conference, and the A-Sun conference prefer to be called by their first names. I cant speak for all of the school in each conference, but the ones where I have umpired liked to be called by ther first names, and I'm pretty sure the rest do to. Not only do they expect you to use their first name, they expect to use your first name when addressing you.

Well I'm sorry... I can't comment on what goes on in Big 10 baseball, but in my neck of the woods, the coahing staffs in the SEC, ACC, Southern Conference, and the A-Sun conference prefer to be called by their first names. I cant speak for all of the school in each conference, but the ones where I have umpired liked to be called by ther first names, and I'm pretty sure the rest do to. Not only do they expect you to use their first name, they expect to use your first name when addressing you.

I agree with this.  They probably wont say anything directly if you call them coach because they don't want to escalate it but I don't think they like it.

In all honesty to me the best way would be for the coaches to be referred to as coach and the umpires to be referred to as "blue" or "mr umpire".  It takes away all possible bias that could come about from communicating with a degree of familiarity that is not really appropriate in a competitive atmosphere.  I call my friends by their first name and none of the coaches are my friends when the game is going on.  I think calling them coach and them calling us "blue" or "mr umpire" keeps a level of professionalism in place.

That being said if protocol says differently then I guess I'll have to adapt.

In all honesty to me the best way would be for the coaches to be referred to as coach and the umpires to be referred to as "blue" or "mr umpire".  It takes away all possible bias that could come about from communicating with a degree of familiarity that is not really appropriate in a competitive atmosphere.  I call my friends by their first name and none of the coaches are my friends when the game is going on.  I think calling them coach and them calling us "blue" or "mr umpire" keeps a level of professionalism in place.

I respectfully disagree. We as umpires are not in competition with coaches or players during a contest. We don't care who wins or loses. We are simply there to administer the rules, insure fair play, and insure the game is played in the spirit of good sportsmanship. Calling an umpire "blue" or a coach "Coach" to me is a cop-out. We only have to occupy the same space for the next 3 hours so why not refer to each other by the name our mothers gave us.  I don't have to be your friend to call you by your first name. It simply shows that you pay attention to all details be them in or out of the rulebook.

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree. We as umpires are not in competition with coaches or players during a contest. We don't care who wins or loses. We are simply there to administer the rules, insure fair play, and insure the game is played in the spirit of good sportsmanship. Calling an umpire "blue" or a coach "Coach" to me is a cop-out. We only have to occupy the same space for the next 3 hours so why not refer to each other by the name our mothers gave us.  I don't have to be your friend to call you by your first name. It simply shows that you pay attention to all details be them in or out of the rulebook.

I saw 3 guys over this past weekend that I've seen this Spring during HS season, in earlier Summer tournaments, and prior games in this tournament .... I remembered their names and they LOVED it when I said, "Hi Tim, nice to see you again" ....

Well I'm sorry... I can't comment on what goes on in Big 10 baseball...

It's first names.

I accept that you disagree but you completely missed my point about the competition.  I'm saying we are the ones judging a competition.  The coaches can call each other by their first names all they want.  But if I have one coach remembering my name and calling me by it and the other one does not I could see the one coach thinking he was at a disadvantage not being on the same level as the guy calling me by name.

Like I said I do see the good points in it as well.  But to me on that day on that field they are a baseball coach.  They carry the title of coach and for them to get offended by being called coach is ridiculous in my opinion.  I find it equally ridiculous for an umpire to get offended by being called "blue".  

But I also say that if protocol and perception is that is how it's done, then obviously I will be giving the wrong impression if I don't adhere.

I saw 3 guys over this past weekend that I've seen this Spring during HS season, in earlier Summer tournaments, and prior games in this tournament .... I remembered their names and they LOVED it when I said, "Hi Tim, nice to see you again" ....

Just out of curiosity how did you know they LOVED it?  I mean you mentioned you had probably done 5-10 of their games, it wouldn't seem like that great of an accomplishment to remember their names at that point.

Protocol says differently.

You go work a college or professional game and call everyone coach and see how that works out for you.

• Like 2

Had two plates today with teams from Louisiana . Both Head Coaches and all players called me coach instead of Blue  , Mr. Umpire etc . First few times , I was looking around to see whom they were talking to . :meditation:  

Had two plates today with teams from Louisiana . Both Head Coaches and all players called me coach instead of Blue  , Mr. Umpire etc . First few times , I was looking around to see whom they were talking to . :meditation:  

The way to manage that is to whenever they call you something besides your name just give them a friendly reminder,

"Mike, my name is John. Thanks"

• Like 1