Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5002 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Last year of the Philly contract.  Rumor has it... Pittsburgh next year.

 

That's what I heard too.

 

I know the hotel was under going some remodeling, but the hotel could have been better. 

Posted

They move it from city to city here on the west coast. It was in Seattle, Portland, San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Fransisco over the last couple of years.

Posted

I booked early and got a king room which was nice but you were handcuffed with very high priced limited food and beverages there at that location.  It wasn't like you could walk out front and go on a pub/restaurant crawl or anything.  Plus the only flights to Philly from my area were via US Airways which has got to be the worst airline I have ever flown on.   We waited on the tarmac yesterday for an hour and forty minutes waiting for the rest of their crew to arrive.  You would think they would all meet like us before hand instead of loading a plane and hope everyone arrives.  Oh and this other chestnut.  we had to wait additional time because the ground crew put extra bags on without the pilot knowing so they had to come out and unload them.  But US Airways was nice because they gave us a free cup of water while we were waiting and then after an hour turned on the air because it was like a sauna in there.  I thought the clinic was great.  The catch/no catch discussion was very interesting and I actually picked up the wellness pamphlet from Honig's that was taken from the Chicago video.  I'll laminate it and keep it in my bag.  Usually vendors have great deals at clinics but most vendors were just as expensive as their websites if not more.  Like trying to hawk that unequal cp for $249 and later in the day it was down to $199.  I saw people trying it on but I didn't see any purchases.

Posted

Did anyone else fill out the survey yet about the Chicago meeting?  It asked at the bottom about locations for meetings next year, and it said one of them is in Dallas in 2014.  Looks like we get a break from Chicago for a while, which is fine with me.  

Posted

Dont complain about an 8 hour drive if they move it to Pittsburgh, Ive been driving 7 1/2 hours since they moved it to Philly.  Pitt will only be 3 1/2 hours for me.  I pray they move it.  Time for me not to have to drive so far.

Posted

Dont complain about an 8 hour drive if they move it to Pittsburgh, Ive been driving 7 1/2 hours since they moved it to Philly.  Pitt will only be 3 1/2 hours for me.  I pray they move it.  Time for me not to have to drive so far.

I'm not complaining about that I love to drive and see the scenery and visit other states.  We'll switch the driving time from CT to Philly for me is the 3.5 hours that is from WV to Pitt for you.  Trade made

Posted

I purchased also from Stripes and Strikes and The Sports Loft.  Two good companies owned by fellow umpires.  They had good prices.  I went to the Honig's people and asked if I could use my ABUA 10% or the $20 gift certificate from Arbiter and they said no that I had to call them for that.  I was also hoping they had the TW mask pads but they said they weren't in yet.  I was hoping UA was there but for a regional meeting there were only about 6 vendors.  I was a little disappointed.

Posted

I purchased also from Stripes and Strikes and The Sports Loft.  Two good companies owned by fellow umpires.  They had good prices.  I went to the Honig's people and asked if I could use my ABUA 10% or the $20 gift certificate from Arbiter and they said no that I had to call them for that.  I was also hoping they had the TW mask pads but they said they weren't in yet.  I was hoping UA was there but for a regional meeting there were only about 6 vendors.  I was a little disappointed.

__________________________________________________________

 

Honigs let us use the $20 NCAA coupon at the Chicago meeting.  They already had us in their computer and they just applied it to whatever we bought.  

 

There were around the same amount of vendors in Chicago.  Honigs, Ump-Attire, Purchase Officials, ABUA, Official's Call, and one more that I can't remember.

Posted

Anybody from the Phili clinic remember the teams/players involved in the breakout session clip where there was R3 and the BR hit a ground ball, avoided the tag at first and missed the base, but was called out diving back into first on appeal?

 

I think it was an MLB clip and I've been looking for it online w/ no luck.  

 

If I could get the teams/player that might help me locate the clip.

 

Thanks

Posted

Anybody from the Phili clinic remember the teams/players involved in the breakout session clip where there was R3 and the BR hit a ground ball, avoided the tag at first and missed the base, but was called out diving back into first on appeal?

 

I think it was an MLB clip and I've been looking for it online w/ no luck.  

 

If I could get the teams/player that might help me locate the clip.

 

Thanks

 

I don't even remember that play :( . When was it, in the group exercises?

Posted

Anybody from the Phili clinic remember the teams/players involved in the breakout session clip where there was R3 and the BR hit a ground ball, avoided the tag at first and missed the base, but was called out diving back into first on appeal?

 

I think it was an MLB clip and I've been looking for it online w/ no luck.  

 

If I could get the teams/player that might help me locate the clip.

 

Thanks

 

I don't even remember that play :( . When was it, in the group exercises?

 

 

 

Nope, it was during Dave Yeast's presentation.  I don't know if he spoke at all of the clinics.  I'm thinking no since it was during the CBUA portion of the session.  Many were confident that it was during the general session, but when I contacted Hiler, he confirmed that it was not during the general NCAA session.

Posted

Yeah johnny I could have sworn it was during the general session, but I guess it was during Yeast's presentation.  He only spoke at the Chicago CBUA meeting, so these guys that didn't go to Chicago wouldn't have seen it.  I would love to find it so we can show it to everyone though.  

×
×
  • Create New...