Member Video: C. Brown's Plate Work

AZump78
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4166 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

question.. in between pitches do you move... you called a strike in the 1st video, and your feet never moved after the call...In your area... Thompson is a fan of umpires standing up and releaxing for a sec in between pitches...

So his feet didn't move .......does that mean he's not relaxed?

question.. in between pitches do you move... you called a strike in the 1st video, and your feet never moved after the call...In your area... Thompson is a fan of umpires standing up and releaxing for a sec in between pitches...

No it doesnt.. but to an evaluator it might...and the big guy in his area... like for the PU to step back and relax a quick sec.

No it doesnt.. but to an evaluator it might...and the big guy in his area... like for the PU to step back and relax a quick sec.

Fair enough, ...interesting info there ;)

Sorry for the delayed reply. This was not any sort of eval type of scenario, and I was tired (over it?) at this point (Day 4 of the showcase) so no I didn't really move my feet between pitches. I just kind of "reset" based on where the F2 was setting up on the next pitch.

When getting looked at by TT or any other assignors/evaluators, I do make an effort to stand up, take a step back while the action is relaxed, getting back into my heel-instep position once the F1 resumes the pitchers plate. Following the "on the rubber-get set-call it! we all have heard 10,000x

I was being lazy in the clip....and deserved to be called out!

• 3 months later...

Thanks for posting these.

Questions from me. Why do yo look to the right wen you call strike 1. Maybe you only do this with no runners on?

I only ask, and I am not criticizing in any way, because I use to do the same thing, but now I never take my head/eyes away from the field. I make the strike call, but don't turn my head that way.

Secondly, I like your 3rd strike chainsaw, but notice you look down(or have your head facing down during that also).

Feel free to say I am nitpicking. I am, but I would be proud to work with you as I pick. :wave:

Why do yo look to the right wen you call strike 1. Maybe you only do this with no runners on?

I hear what you are saying, and I agree with your logic. Keeping your eyes forward is wise with runners on. I typically peek at a R3 to see what he is up to before turning my head. And I make sure to keep it facing forward when something like a steal play, possible BI, etc is going on. WHY I do it is just personal style I guess, but again I agree, especially when teaching newer umpires, that keeping eyes forward (esp in 2 man) is important.

Secondly, I like your 3rd strike chainsaw, but notice you look down(or have your head facing down during that also).

Yes, that is something I never noticed I did until I saw it on tape. Something to work on I suppose!

Thanks for the feedback, thats why I put it on here!

Why do yo look to the right wen you call strike 1. Maybe you only do this with no runners on?

I hear what you are saying, and I agree with your logic. Keeping your eyes forward is wise with runners on. I typically peek at a R3 to see what he is up to before turning my head. And I make sure to keep it facing forward when something like a steal play, possible BI, etc is going on. WHY I do it is just personal style I guess, but again I agree, especially when teaching newer umpires, that keeping eyes forward (esp in 2 man) is important.

Yes, that is something I never noticed I did until I saw it on tape. Something to work on I suppose!

Thanks for the feedback, thats why I put it on here!

I want to say because I forgot it, I did love that I could easily hear you from all the way back in section 207.

I seriously appreciate you doing this. I might ask a couple of my guys if we can do this for each other next year to help improve our game.

I would love to see video of myself so I can make adjustments/corrections. Maybe I'll bring a video cam and tripod to a game or 2. It's a great tool.

I agree. It can only help. I might do the same for one of my games in March. At least an innings worth.

I would love to see video of myself so I can make adjustments/corrections. Maybe I'll bring a video cam and tripod to a game or 2. It's a great tool.

There is not enough tape around to capture all the things you need to adjust. Better get a Terrabyte drive!

• Like 2

There is not enough tape around to capture all the things you need to adjust. Better get a Terrabyte drive!

a WHAT??????
  • Like 1