Pants with the Least Fade

MUAump2
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4302 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Have 2 pair of the Honig Charcoal Gray pants, and they seem to have faded really badly over the course of 2012. Looks like a purpleish/light gray tint to them that I really don't like. So, I'm looking to get new pants for next year, but I really don't like the look of the GD pants, Any other thoughts?

I have six pair of the Honig's polywool pants, plus a couple pair of Hardwicks. All of varying ages, and all of the same tint.

How are you cleaning your pants? Mine either get dry cleaned, or run through the Hand Wash cycle, and hung up to dry.

GS , i know you said you dont like the GD pants . However i have a couple pairs that are 7+ yrs old now and still look pretty nice , very little or none as far as fading/discoloring . I know the majority on this forum dislike GD pants though . However in my part of the world , GD is what most wear .

marc

I like Ump Attire polly wools. I also have Smittys good for bad weather. I think not leaving them exposed to sunlight in the back of the car is key too. I have a garment bag for shirts and pants too. Prevents fading and dis coloring

I don't leave them exposed to sunlight in my car, but they do see their fair share of sunlight when I work those weekend tournaments when I'm out on the field for 10-14 hours per day, so I suppose that might have something to do with it.

As far as washing them, I wash them on the delicate cycle and dry them on slow/low heat.

I don't leave them exposed to sunlight in my car, but they do see their fair share of sunlight when I work those weekend tournaments when I'm out on the field for 10-14 hours per day, so I suppose that might have something to do with it.

As far as washing them, I wash them on the delicate cycle and dry them on slow/low heat.

If you're on the field for 10-14, you're simply going to have to buy more pants and rotate them. Please throw the faded purple ones away.

I agree I have three pairs of GD Charcoal that I wear for games that aren't worthy of my poly-wools. These pants have seen heavy use for 4 seaons and are all in great shape. The only sad thing about the GD charcoal is they don't come close to matching anyone elses charcoal color, but they have held up well. I prefer the fit to that of the smitty charcoal as well.

I agree I have three pairs of GD Charcoal that I wear for games that aren't worthy of my poly-wools. These pants have seen heavy use for 4 seaons and are all in great shape. The only sad thing about the GD charcoal is they don't come close to matching anyone elses charcoal color, but they have held up well. I prefer the fit to that of the smitty charcoal as well.

I'm thrilled they are the de facto pants around here at higher levels. They are comfortable, fit well, and hold up incredibly well.

Fechheimer was real bad about fading to pink.........the older heather grey pants colors seemed to fade easier as well, despite manufacturer.........but now pretty much since everyone has gone to charcoal I dont see fading as much of an issue anymore.....but the advice about leaving your uniforms hanging in the car baking in the sun is the answer..........dyes just cant hold up tp that intensity..........

For those of us who do lots of games, we have to understand that proper care (cleaning, storage) is important.........and use, what other sport subjects its official uniforms to such extremes?...and lastly Uniforms have a useful life.......they arent buy one and done.....if you are gouing to look well, you got to spend the $$ and understand its part of being an umpire.

I throw a tide pod in the wash with my pants, and the load is only ump pants and grey ball bags. Gentle cycle, cold/cold. Then I hang dry. I dry clean my PWs. Also on shirts i wash same color shirts on small/gentle/cold and also hang dry. Takes about 5 ot 6 loads each week depending on what I wore that weekend.

If you put your polywools in the dryer, check the lint basket after you're done. See that stuff? That's how quickly your pants are wearing out.

My daughter washed and dried a pair for me, on accident, and I noted the gray lint. Not good, and never again.

I have two pair of GD charcoal pants that I wear...a base pair and a plate pair. I've had them for 4 years and they're the only pants I wear...through high school season and tournament season, so they get HEAVY use. I wash and dry them on regular cycle, and have even ironed them a few times. They still look the way they did the day I got them.

Gerry Davis pants are pretty tough, but the catch is actually getting them. I ordered two pairs of plate pants back in January. By March, I had to cancel my order because they wouldn't be in until April.