+pos carbon fiber mask

D62 blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4924 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

i bought this mask on e bay today . i have see them ocassionally on the site . just so happened i had the winning bid this time :clap:. so who can tell me the good,bad ,and ugly , about them . i know they arent made anymore . i have seen one in person only once , it is very light . i also read somewhere , maybe on this group , that there was a prior model # (of this material) that had crack issues , i think . but this newer model # , supposedly is an improved design (material) . hopefully this wasnt wasted $$$ :agasp_:

marc

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one for years and really liked the weight. I never had a cracking problem,but occasionally look under the pads to make sure all is good. The bars were a little wide but certanly functional. All in all, it was the first attempt of lightening the mask.

I am pretty sure this is not carbon fiber but, some type of polymer resin. I seem to recall that there is a long story that the recall of these masks is what led to the downfall of +POS. I beleive that the recall had to do with the fact that exposure to sunlight caused the resin to weaken. I am sure that someone can fill out the story.

I have seen and held one of these. Very, very light. Almost too light to be believable.

I am pretty sure this is not carbon fiber but, some type of polymer resin. I seem to recall that there is a long story that the recall of these masks is what led to the downfall of +POS. I believe that the recall had to do with the fact that exposure to sunlight caused the resin to weaken. I am sure that someone can fill out the story.

I have seen and held one of these. Very, very light. Almost too light to be believable.

Exactly they are a resin mask & extremely light.

There was a problem with them breaking. I seem to recall elsewhere at some point someone using the word shattering.

I'm not sure if they were ever officially recalled by the manufacturer, but these popular masks quickly ceased production.

I've heard several theories as to why they were breaking and one of the most common is that UV light breaks down the resin, making it more brittle, and ultimately causing failure.

Another theory I heard and may be related to the first is that the material "dries out" and needed some sort of conditioning to maintain its protective properties.

Another I've heard is that it is not able to accommodate temperature fluctuation. Where constant higher/lower temperatures, like those in your trunk where people typically keep their gear, cause the material to break down.

I personally wouldn't use it in a game situation, especially a used one where I don't know its history and previous care. But, it may be a good collector’s item. These have been some of the more sought after things online for a while along with a Power CP.

Good news: You can still buy pads for these from pluspos.com.

Bad news : This rig gave me my first concussion.

Okay news : You'll be able to resell in on eBay fairly easily.

It's light, but around the same weight as the newer ones. The bars are huge, compared to everything else. I know a couple of guys who still swear by theirs. I swore at mine, and dumped it after I was loopy for a week.

Exactly they are a resin mask & extremely light.

There was a problem with them breaking. I seem to recall elsewhere at some point someone using the word shattering.

I'm not sure if they were ever officially recalled by the manufacturer, but these popular masks quickly ceased production.

I've heard several theories as to why they were breaking and one of the most common is that UV light breaks down the resin, making it more brittle, and ultimately causing failure.

Another theory I heard and may be related to the first is that the material "dries out" and needed some sort of conditioning to maintain its protective properties.

Another I've heard is that it is not able to accommodate temperature fluctuation. Where constant higher/lower temperatures, like those in your trunk where people typically keep their gear, cause the material to break down.

I personally wouldn't use it in a game situation, especially a used one where I don't know its history and previous care. But, it may be a good collector’s item. These have been some of the more sought after things online for a while along with a Power CP.

i believe this a new never used mask . ill check the ebay seller descp.

marc

The mask was not the reason for the demise of +POS. If you want to the story according to the owner, it is posted over at the ABUA site, search for Parsons. Rich is over there all the time, maybe he could supply you a link. I haven't been there in a long time so I can't remember what section it was posted in.

It looks as though all of Dan's posts have been deleted off the ABUA site. He's still got the website going pluspos.com, and sells some stuff on eBay under the name "wannabepowerseller99 "

this is weird , i believe that the e bay seller that i won the plus pos resin (whatever) mask has decided not to sell it ?? i got several emails today saying that he wont ship , and changed his mind ?? unless i misunderstood , by next week i should know whats going on ?? can a seller do that ? i dont have alot of ebay experience .

marc

this is weird , i believe that the e bay seller that i won the plus pos resin (whatever) mask has decided not to sell it ?? i got several emails today saying that he wont ship , and changed his mind ?? unless i misunderstood , by next week i should know whats going on ?? can a seller do that ? i dont have alot of ebay experience .

marc

I do, and I'm pretty sure someone emailed him, and offered him some more $ for it.

That's strictly against eBay policy, as you had a binding contract when the auction ended. Feel free to file a complaint against him.

That said, he just did you a favor. You gotta trust me on this, as I had the same mask. The new lightweight masks are SOOOOOOOO much better than the SUL. Better vision, protection and durability. Consider this Karma, my friend, as this guy just did you a solid favor.

I agree with Kyle. I used to wear a +POS SUL mask. at the time...before the breakage issues came into being...it was the lightest thing out there. Now with the new technology we get light weight with better vision.

Get a wilson, diamond, or Champro lightweight and you will have a better and safer option than the SUL....the seller did you a favor.

I agree with Kyle. I used to wear a +POS SUL mask. at the time...before the breakage issues came into being...it was the lightest thing out there. Now with the new technology we get light weight with better vision.

Get a wilson, diamond, or Champro lightweight and you will have a better and safer option than the SUL....the seller did you a favor.

.....or the All-Star FM2000ump .......

Other than the fact of having something that is no longer made and its value as conversation piece for a select few you are not missing out on much. I have a mentor that keeps offering his Carlucci CP. If I take it I feel I would have to wear it but, I know that it is not nearly as good as my Platinum or my Douglas.

can you give any comments so far , about the new all star FM2000 ump mask ?? i know it isnt as light as the diamond or champro , but still pretty light . but what else makes it seem unique so far ?

marc

can you give any comments so far , about the new all star FM2000 ump mask ?? i know it isnt as light as the diamond or champro , but still pretty light . but what else makes it seem unique so far ?

marc

D62.

I think this is about 19 ounces all in. I wrote a pretty detailed first review under the reviews section. It is a significant upgrade to the traditional mask design. The biggest feature is the design of the frame eliminates the chance that the frame could come in contact with the forehead without the bulk of wraparound pads. I will say that I have not used this in a game yet but, the testing that All Star does is top notch.