Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5836 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Had a game on sunday. Top quality coaches. You know, the 1B coach who is wearing sandals. Making calls 5 minutes to game time trying to get players. Anyway, home coach tells me know matter what, we will play the full game regardless of time at conference. I told the coach that the rules state we don't start a new inning after 1:45, but don't think we will have a problem getting the game in, but we will abide by the rules. After a 5 minute rant, he let's me know I'm the only umpire who won't agree to this. The other coach also wasn't in favor of changing the rules. Well, the game finnished within time. He wrote a long letter to my assigner and my guy had my back in his reply. They wrote when the game was over, I left the field immediately. I did. The visting coach was berating me for my zone. I did not want any problems. I was professional. My assigner wanted to give me the same game next sunday. They responded they wouldn't have me for not playing by his rules. The game has been pulled. I don't have a problem with my assigner. I don't see where I can adjust time, when it could potentially impact a win or loss. What are your thoughts. (by the way is it Assigner or Assignor?)

  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

so, ...you weren't fired ........you just weren't going to be assigned to THEIR games.

And....the rules are the rules. Trust me, if there's a 1:45 time limit, ...I AM playing by that rule!:clap:

Posted

I'm curious as to why you believe you "don't have a problem with your assignor" ?

Based on what you've told us here, you do have a problem with an an assignor who pulls you off a game because of a coach's complaint - especially a complaint like the he (the coach) appears to have made. It sounds to me like your assignor won't back you up. That, IMO, is a problem.

:clap:

Posted

Ok, I have a small problem. But he swore he'd make it up to me and his games pay well. In this economy, I guess the coach was the "Boss". He said he was sending me and I had no problem. Was a little puzzling that the coach made him change his tune. I work for a few different guys and quite honestly I need the work so I will compromise values so I can pay bills. In other words, I won't hold a grudge. But when I do another game in the league, unless I'm told otherwise, the rules are the rules. It's been a good year. Put it behind me and move on.

Posted

I need the work so I will compromise values so I can pay bills.

This is the last thing you'll ever hear me say.

Posted

Andrew, off the field, not on. I don't get certain, what I'll call home games, because I don't favor the home team. Rules are rules. But I won't not take other games because a coach is a rat and the league needs the revenue. I'll roll with it. One day, I may be in a position to stand on principle and tell the guy I wont work for him. Until then, I'll call it the way I see it. That is the reality of the place I live. In my regular job, the customers who pay my bills can be at times, the type of person you'd like to say, take your work and shove it, but once again, I have to provide for my family.

Posted

Whoa, this is wrong on so many levels.

I'm not aware of your financial situation, but I can understand the fine line you're walking: keep them happy, your family eats, I get it. What I don't get is your capacity to suspend your integrity for the sake of a game check. Sorry, I can't do that: my integrity isn't for sale to anyone, and surely not a rat coach.

I'm going to assume that I've misunderstood you, but, if I'm not, think of it this way: you have to umpire straight up, but the rules, first time, every time, and let the chips fall. If you don't, you will invariably get a reputation of a "home team" umpire, no matter where you work. This League may like it: most Leagues won't. And those Leagues won't hire you under any circumstances. There goes the grocery money. It's counter-productive.

If this assignor wants to swap your games for another crew, hey, it's no skin off your beak: you probably don't want to work his games anyway. If he's just dropping you for that game, now we have an issue: you're under the bus, the rat knows it, and will tell anyone who will listen how he fired you. I'd hate to be the next crew. Personally, if I were the Assignor, I'd hire the crew with the biggest shoulder chips in the league for the rest of his season: he'll be begging for you to come back.

Posted

Andrew, off the field, not on. I don't get certain, what I'll call home games, because I don't favor the home team. Rules are rules. But I won't not take other games because a coach is a rat and the league needs the revenue. I'll roll with it. One day, I may be in a position to stand on principle and tell the guy I wont work for him. Until then, I'll call it the way I see it. That is the reality of the place I live. In my regular job, the customers who pay my bills can be at times, the type of person you'd like to say, take your work and shove it, but once again, I have to provide for my family.

Never, never violate your integrity and ethics.

By doing so on the field your reputation will suffer and could eventually cause you bigger legal problems.

Rules are rules and you follow and enforce them.

I would like to see your defense in a civil trial when you extend the time a game is suppose to be played and someone gets seriously injured. Who do you think they are coming after? If the umpire followed the rules, we would have never been in that situation and therefore I would have never been injured.

Going to be tough to provide for your family then.

Posted

Whoa, this is wrong on so many levels.

I'm not aware of your financial situation, but I can understand the fine line you're walking: keep them happy, your family eats, I get it. What I don't get is your capacity to suspend your integrity for the sake of a game check. Sorry, I can't do that: my integrity isn't for sale to anyone, and surely not a rat coach.

I'm going to assume that I've misunderstood you, but, if I'm not, think of it this way: you have to umpire straight up, but the rules, first time, every time, and let the chips fall. If you don't, you will invariably get a reputation of a "home team" umpire, no matter where you work. This League may like it: most Leagues won't. And those Leagues won't hire you under any circumstances. There goes the grocery money. It's counter-productive.

If this assignor wants to swap your games for another crew, hey, it's no skin off your beak: you probably don't want to work his games anyway. If he's just dropping you for that game, now we have an issue: you're under the bus, the rat knows it, and will tell anyone who will listen how he fired you. I'd hate to be the next crew. Personally, if I were the Assignor, I'd hire the crew with the biggest shoulder chips in the league for the rest of his season: he'll be begging for you to come back.

jjb:

I read it as he doesn't get the home team games because he doesn't homer. It sounds like the only compromise he is making is with his assigner off the field. It sounds like he is following the rules, others aren't.

Posted

Ok, I don't think I'm being clear. I was given this same coaches game next week by my assigner. Subsequently, the coach would not have me and the game was taken away. My assigner went to bat for me, but fell short from pressure from the coach. I said I would still work for this assigner. I could get angry and say I wouldn't work for him, but enjoy his work and will compromise my pride and do other games. Never, did I say I compromise my values or sense of fair play on the field. I was replaced for playing by the rules, plain and simple. We make decisions in our regular work day and I've made one here. Coach is a rat, assigner is a nice guy who was backed against a wall, and life goes on.

Posted

jjb:

I read it as he doesn't get the home team games because he doesn't homer. It sounds like the only compromise he is making is with his assigner off the field. It sounds like he is following the rules, others aren't.

Mike:

+1. I would have said the same, but you wrote it.

Everyone else:

I think you need to re-read gherman's post, to make sure you what he's saying. Also, I would suggest the "walk a mile in another man's moccasins" philosophy before we get too high-horse about some of this. For one thing, gherman's not selling himself out to get work - it's a devil's deal with the assigner to keep getting work. And if times are tight, and ballgames are the way people keep the wolves at bay, who are we to question?

The situation hits home for me, for a different issue. We have issues with our youngest, and there have been times when we've discussed the situation with, well, mental health professionals, probation officers, co-workers, social workers, whatever. And there are times when my wife and I feel like we're getting either a judgmental or skeptical vibe, or something like it. And the only response to it is: you just don't know, unless you've been there. (Not claiming that we're some unique case, just that if you've never had a kid like that - and good for you - you probably don't get it.) Thus, "walk a mile in his moccasins."

Whew. Sorry about that - didn't meant to vent so much there, but I started typing, and, well, didn't stop. And now I don't want to delete it. So there you go.

Posted

Ok, I don't think I'm being clear. I was given this same coaches game next week by my assigner. Subsequently, the coach would not have me and the game was taken away. My assigner went to bat for me, but fell short from pressure from the coach. I said I would still work for this assigner. I could get angry and say I wouldn't work for him, but enjoy his work and will compromise my pride and do other games. Never, did I say I compromise my values or sense of fair play on the field. I was replaced for playing by the rules, plain and simple. We make decisions in our regular work day and I've made one here. Coach is a rat, assigner is a nice guy who was backed against a wall, and life goes on.

I wouldn't have an issue with this assigner either. He didn't ask you to compromise your integrity. He changed you assignment to another field or later game where the participants will appreciate it. He put someone else out there who is willing to be the "good ol' boy" for them.

I have no problem with what you or the assigner did. He has to make his money and you have to make yours. You didn't compromise your integrity and he didn't ask you to. Everything is good as far as I can tell. You did your job and he did his.

I just hope he put someone out there who doesn't care to do a good job and then let the coach complain. My response would then be "Yeah but did he allow you to change the time limit?" :shrug:

Posted

I would suggest the assigner request verification from the league about the time limit. If they say it OK to suspend the time limit if both coaches agree and there is no game is behind them then go for it. If both coaches don't agree, as in this case, then you play the time limit.

That probably won't happen but then the league is aware that they have rogue managers.

Posted

Ok, I don't think I'm being clear. I was given this same coaches game next week by my assigner. Subsequently, the coach would not have me and the game was taken away. My assigner went to bat for me, but fell short from pressure from the coach. I said I would still work for this assigner. I could get angry and say I wouldn't work for him, but enjoy his work and will compromise my pride and do other games. Never, did I say I compromise my values or sense of fair play on the field. I was replaced for playing by the rules, plain and simple. We make decisions in our regular work day and I've made one here. Coach is a rat, assigner is a nice guy who was backed against a wall, and life goes on.

Gotcha: I misunderstood your post: I was wrong to doubt your integrity, and sincerely apologize.

Jim

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Gotcha: I misunderstood your post: I was wrong to doubt your integrity, and sincerely apologize.

Jim

I must say this is one BIG reason why I enjoy this forum so much. On how many other sites would you see this?

Posted

I'm not aware of your financial situation, but I can understand the fine line you're walking: keep them happy, your family eats, I get it. What I don't get is your capacity to suspend your integrity for the sake of a game check. Sorry, I can't do that: my integrity isn't for sale to anyone, and surely not a rat coach.

×
×
  • Create New...