2012 NCAA Test

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4455 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

F4 had a chance to field the ball and make a play. R1 is out, not because he was hit w/ the batted ball but because he interfered w/ F4's chance to make a play.

This interp differs from OBR.

Not according to the 2011 BRD. Childress has FED, NCAA, and OBR all with the runner being safe. (#313)

Can you guys provide an NCAA rule reference for the runner being out because he interfered with the fielder's chance to make a play?

Not according to the 2011 BRD. Childress has FED, NCAA, and OBR all with the runner being safe. (#313)

Can you guys provide an NCAA rule reference for the runner being out because he interfered with the fielder's chance to make a play?

I agree that the answer key is wrong on this one at least as it was posted. Theres a difference between contacting the ball and contacting the fielder.

In the newsletter, all of the other answers were wrong. In this instance, although a and b are correct, a is more right than b.

The question is the same as in the preseason guide but one of the answers is different. And B is not correct because a sub is not in the game when the coach makes the request hes in the game when the umpire writes it down. So A is the correct answer.

(I used the multiquote feature so I hope this looks okay and I ended up quoting the right guys but if not I apoplogize in advance)

F4 had a chance to field the ball and make a play. R1 is out, not because he was hit w/ the batted ball but because he interfered w/ F4's chance to make a play.

This interp differs from OBR.

6-5 (d) A.R. 2

A runner is out when:

d. The runner interferes intentionally with a throw or thrown ball, or

interferes with a fielder who is attempting to field a batted ball. If a

double play is likely, and the runner intentionally interferes with the

fielder who is attempting to field the ball, both runner and batter-runner

shall be declared out;

A.R. 2—If a batted ball is deflected by the pitcher and another fielder has a legitimate

play to retire a runner, the fielder is protected and a collision by a base runner results in

interference.

8-5 (d) A.R. 2

A runner is out when:

shall be declared out;

A.R. 2—If a batted ball is deflected by the pitcher and another fielder has a legitimate

play to retire a runner, the fielder is protected and a collision by a base runner results in

interference.

Rule you cited is 8-5d. The AR pertains to a runner making contact with a fielder attempting to field a deflected ball not the runner being hit with the deflected ball.

Applicable rule is 8-5k

Runner is out when:

k. The runner, including a runner in contact with a base, is hit while in fair territory by a batted ball before it has touched a fielder or passed all infielders who have a chance to make a play on the ball, other than the pitcher. If two runners are hit by the same fair ball, only the first runner is out (see 6-2-e).

Emphasis theirs.

I see no where in that rule that states the runner is out when hit by a deflected ball and the infielder has an opportunity to field the ball.

8-5 (d) A.R. 2

A runner is out when:

shall be declared out;

interference.

Rule you cited is 8-5d. The AR pertains to a runner making contact with a fielder attempting to field a deflected ball not the runner being hit with the deflected ball.

Applicable rule is 8-5k

Runner is out when:

k. The runner, including a runner in contact with a base, is hit while in fair territory by a batted ball before it has touched a fielder or passed all infielders who have a chance to make a play on the ball, other than the pitcher. If two runners are hit by the same fair ball, only the first runner is out (see 6-2-e).

Emphasis theirs.

I see no where in that rule that states the runner is out when hit by a deflected ball and the infielder has an opportunity to field the ball.

The NCAA used 8-5k as a reference on the test question as well, but like you just said, 8-5k says the runner isn't out if a fielder has touched the ball, which the pitcher did in the question.

So on this play, we have "Safe - that's nothing" in NCAA, and in OBR, we have R1 out for Interference.

No, OBR is the same as NCAA, which is the same as FED.

The BRD has a PBUC Official Interp that says: "The concept of the runner being in jeopardy...does NOT apply if the ball is touched or deflected by the first infielder, even though another infielder has a chance to make a play on the ball"

How do we get the NCAA to give credit for this one?

There's a play on mlb.com that calls R1 out for Interference. Its a Giants game within the last couple of years.

I could be thinking of a completely different play, but I'm pretty sure that the ball deflects off of F1 and then R1 interferes with F4 himself. The fielder is still protected even after a deflection. I'll try to find it.

Edit: Here's the one I am thinking of: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10954683&c_id=mlb

So on this play, we have "Safe - that's nothing" in NCAA, and in OBR, we have R1 out for Interference.

The BRD has a PBUC Official Interp that says: "The concept of the runner being in jeopardy...does NOT apply if the ball is touched or deflected by the first infielder, even though another infielder has a chance to make a play on the ball"

Isn't the pitcher NOT considered an infielder in this situation?

Isn't the pitcher NOT considered an infielder in this situation?

I think since the pitcher deflected the ball, then he had a chance to field the ball (I agree, not a good chance, but a chance nonetheless)...I don't know for sure though and I don't have my materials with me this morning

8-5 (d) A.R. 2

A runner is out when:

shall be declared out;

interference.

Applicable rule is 8-5k

Runner is out when:

Emphasis theirs.

Thank you for correcting my rule citation. I was half paying attention at work while responding.

The pitcher is not considered an infielder for the sake of this situation.

The reason it is INT is because the runner interferered with the fielder. The fielder in this instance is protected while fielding the deflected ball. If the deflected ball had simply hit the runner, without him interfering with the fielder, then it would have been nothing, play on.

The reason it is INT is because the runner interferered with the fielder. The fielder in this instance is protected while fielding the deflected ball. If the deflected ball had simply hit the runner, without him interfering with the fielder, then it would have been nothing, play on.

okay, that makes sense.

Right, so the NCAA test question I posted is wrong. They even quote the wrong rule reference on the test when I review it. I wonder if I can get credit for it? Not that it really matters I guess.

Right, so the NCAA test question I posted is wrong. They even quote the wrong rule reference on the test when I review it. I wonder if I can get credit for it? Not that it really matters I guess.

I'm still trying to figure out if their interp has a runner being called out if he is hit with a deflected batted ball that another fielder has an opportunity to make a play on. When that is cleared up we will have our answer.

UmpTT,

No, the NCAA interp (like OBR) is that if the batted ball has been deflected, the runner is relieved of liability if hit by the deflected batted ball. NCAA 6-1c:

c. If a fair-hit ball passes by all infielders or it is touched by a fielder and

then touches a runner or an umpire, the ball is in play and the runner

is not out. If said ball should touch the runner or umpire while still in

flight, thereafter it shall be considered a ground ball. It cannot be caught

as a fly ball.

JM

UmpTT,

No, the NCAA interp (like OBR) is that if the batted ball has been deflected, the runner is relieved of liability if hit by the deflected batted ball. NCAA 6-1c:

c. If a fair-hit ball passes by all infielders or it is touched by a fielder and

as a fly ball.

JM

Hey, I'm on the same page with you. That's why NCAA's reasoning for the following question has us wondering what they really want. They say d. and are sticking to it.

R1, no outs. The batter hits a line drive back to the pitcher, which deflects off the pitcher's glove and rolls in the direction of the second baseman who is in a position to field the ball. But the ball strikes R1 (unintentional contact) as he is running to second.

a. B/R is declared out. R1 returns to first.

b. "Time" is called. R1 is awarded second and the BR is awarded first.

c. The ball is alive and in play.

d. R1 is declared out. BR is awarded first.

UmpTT,

as a fly ball.

JM

Hey, I'm on the same page with you. That's why NCAA's reasoning for the following question has us wondering what they really want. They say d. and are sticking to it.

R1, no outs. The batter hits a line drive back to the pitcher, which deflects off the pitcher's glove and rolls in the direction of the second baseman who is in a position to field the ball. But the ball strikes R1 (unintentional contact) as he is running to second.

a. B/R is declared out. R1 returns to first.

b. "Time" is called. R1 is awarded second and the BR is awarded first.

c. The ball is alive and in play.

d. R1 is declared out. BR is awarded first.

D would be the OBR interp correct?

Johnny,

C. would be the correct answer under OBR. The runner will be called out for interference on a deflected batted ball if he hinders or impedes the fielder. The runner has no responsibility to avoid a deflected batted ball and being hit unintentionally with such leaves the ball live and in play.