New chest protector

Paperipper17
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5133 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

As far as CPs, I understand your problem with being too tall. At 6'2" and 180, I also have problems finding the right fit.

For years I used a Douglas. A friend bought a K-1 and told me how great it was, so I sold the Douglas to a young umpire just getting started. I've used the Honigs five years and bought a used WV Gold from Maz last week. I've worn the Gold three times. Here are my thoughts:

DOUGLAS - I didn't know how good this protector was when I had it. The Douglas offered great protection, and the best thing about it was that it was 15" long. This made a huge difference for me! I felt one shot with the Douglas. At the time I worked the scissors, and the Douglas did not have a cover plate where the shoulder pad and CP were connected. I took a fouled bunt attempt in that gap, and it hurt! I wish I still had the Douglas.

HONIGS K1 - The K1 is very comfortable, light, and the shoulder protection is very good. I have been hit several times in the shoulder/collarbone area and never felt anything. I've worked high school through D2 and never felt anything with the K1. I also like the straps and buckle system on the K1. I am not going to sell the CP, but will keep it for an emergency spare. The knock on the Honigs is obviously that it is a soft-shell CP.

WV GOLD - I've only worn this CP three times. Like the Douglas several yrs ago, I know it will conform to my body. I feel very protected and more able to "lock in" with this CP. I don't plan on feeling anything that hits it, and that is how we are supposed to feel behind the dish. The biggest problem with the CP is its length. The bottom of my ribs are exposed, and that's not cool! Along with the Platinum, I know this is the best protection money can buy. I've seen where these CPs are now offered in shorter models. I look forward to the day when I can buy a 15" WV!

At 6'5", I would worry about the lack of rib coverage in the WV. If you could find a Douglas, it would be perfect. Honigs sells extensions for their protectors, but they mostly cover the stomach, and not the ribs.

Does anyone know what some of the taller MLB guys wear? I assume WV or Carlucci?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been behind the plate for two Little League kids who threw 80mph. Effing crazy. One kid had no control, put down two catchers, broke one umpires mask, and another's hand. I got dropped by an untouched ball to the upper thigh. It's the reaction time from release to strikezone that so quick. The other kid was in my local league, and had pin point control. That was fun. He struck out 18 in six inning in Williamsport, and tossed a few perfect games locally.

See: virtually no 12-year-olds, and when they do, their club wins the Little League World Series because of him.

The one kid like him that we had around here was Robert Stock. He was hitting 80 m.p.h. as a 12 yea-old in Bronco and threw a no-hitter to give Agoura PONY the Bronco World Series title in 2002. Robert bypassed 12th grade at Agoura High, which was ranked No. 1 in the nation because of him, and went straight to USC as a 17-year-old freshman starting catcher/relief pitcher.

robertstock.jpg841562.jpeg1919456.jpeg

As a 19 year-old junior, he was drafted 67th overall by the Cardinals last year, who had him playing on their scout team since he was 13 (which is the team I worked the gun for). He would have gone in the top five or ten picks in the country if he had played his senior year and skipped USC. So he signed a six-figure contract/bonus, rather than one for $3 million or so.

So let that be a lesson to you, kids: If you're a nationally ranked phenom, DO NOT GO TO COLLEGE!

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

Baseball careers can end in an instant, extra education can last forever.

Are you kidding? (I was only halfway kidding.) Three million dollars can last forever! So take it and get your education a little more slowly, and do so while you have a house paid for and a big, safe car to drive. Good grief, this world is tough enough to survive in, without making a costly and foolish mistake like that. What's an education for, anyway? To get a better chance at a good life!

(Just so you know, the kids who turn down college deals to get the big-money deals out of high school have an escrow account set up for their education by the MLB office. They get their education anyway, it just takes several more years.)

This is Trevor Plouffe, a kid who starred at my son's high school. He was drafted No. 20 in the country in 2004 by the Twins, in the same draft in which his best friend (and another local phenom), Delmon Young, was drafted No. 1:

plouffe%20crespi.jpg

Here he is now, six years later:

Trevor.jpg

Trevor smartly turned down a four-year ride to USC and signed a $2 million deal with the Twins (who had to put $250,000 in an escrow account to pay for his education). He may make the big leagues; he may not, but he still owns two homes free and clear, and a pair of luxury vehicles with a useful life of a dozen years or more. If he went to SC and dropped in the draft the way Stock did, he would be struggling to buy his first home 10 years later.

There are rare cases in which going straight to college is a sign of stupidity.

There are rare cases in which going straight to college is a sign of stupidity.

I'm with you on that. While I'm damn glad I did it, as all the scouts went away after I tore up my elbow as a freshman in college but I'm about to go into grad school for psychophysiology, two good friends of mine took the money and are both top 10 prospects in their organization, but also have $100K each stashed in college funds just in case. One, an outfielder in the Phillies organization, also has a standing offer at several D1 schools to play basketball or football should he not make it in baseball. So, taking the money is not a death sentence for an education.

See: virtually no 12-year-olds, and when they do, their club wins the Little League World Series because of him.

The one kid like him that we had around here was Robert Stock. He was hitting 80 m.p.h. as a 12 yea-old in Bronco and threw a no-hitter to give Agoura PONY the Bronco World Series title in 2002. Robert bypassed 12th grade at Agoura High, which was ranked No. 1 in the nation because of him, and went straight to USC as a 17-year-old freshman starting catcher/relief pitcher.

robertstock.jpg841562.jpeg1919456.jpeg

As a 19 year-old junior, he was drafted 67th overall by the Cardinals last year, who had him playing on their scout team since he was 13 (which is the team I worked the gun for). He would have gone in the top five or ten picks in the country if he had played his senior year and skipped USC. So he signed a six-figure contract/bonus, rather than one for $3 million or so.

So let that be a lesson to you, kids: If you're a nationally ranked phenom, DO NOT GO TO COLLEGE!

Wow- completely off the wall... I live in Utah now but I graduated from Agoura H.S. (1979)- loved seeing this guy was from there!

All,

I'm 5'11" 225, 46 suit size ..........

First year back since 1995, and I'm trying to do this on a budget. I did my research to the best of my ability, ....I did decide hard-shell, but went with the Champion (p210-15") based on others I've talked to, and some on here, and umpire.org.

Last night (U12 Travel) .... this kid was bringin' it pretty nice, and I found out from his coach after the game that he clocks 65-68 consistently .....foul ball, right to the upper right portion of the sternum plate....defletcting to the home dugout, ...I didn't feel a thing, ...AND....got a few "Ooohs and Ahhhhs" and even a " hey, you ok blue?" from the VT bench.....

No, not a 90mph fastball, but a pretty good jolt, and I just wanted to report out on my first 'shot' in 15 years .... B):no:

here is some intel on the champion p200 hardshell . i just noticed this today on one of the left shoulder plates (plastic) a small dent and crack . i know when this happened , last week i got drilled when a catcher failed to get his mitt up on a high inside heater . i barely felt anything on the impact except the noise from the plastic . didnt notice till today the damage . not sure what to do if anything . it was bought on ebay last year (13 months) , i dont think i have any paper work . i might try to contact champion directly ?

d62 blue

Edited by D62 blue
added content

i might try to contact champion directly ?

d62 blue

That's what I'd do. Take a picture of the crack, tell them the circumstances behind it (normal foul ball), and ask them what you should do about it. Put the ball, nicely, in their court.

Let this be a lesson for all of us. Check your gear a lot during the season, especially after you get nailed. Broken gear is dangerous gear, and won't protect you properly. Plate gear should withstand impact from baseballs without failing. A ball cracking plates in not acceptable. That shouldn't happen, and I'll bet Champion will offer to replace it. Don't cost nothin' to try.

Let us know what happens, please.

here is some intel on the champion p200 hardshell . i just noticed this today on one of the left shoulder plates (plastic) a small dent and crack . i know when this happened , last week i got drilled when a catcher failed to get his mitt up on a high inside heater . i barely felt anything on the impact except the noise from the plastic . didnt notice till today the damage . not sure what to do if anything . it was bought on ebay last year (13 months) , i dont think i have any paper work . i might try to contact champion directly ?

d62 blue

The plastic and the pads on the Champion are both thinner than on the Wilsons. If you are going to do games where they're bringing it at 75 m.p.h. and over, the Champion may not be for you. Sure, it's a hard shell, and sure, it's a bargain, but that's because it's not that good.

That's what I'd do. Take a picture of the crack, tell them the circumstances behind it (normal foul ball), and ask them what you should do about it. Put the ball, nicely, in their court.

Let this be a lesson for all of us. Check your gear a lot during the season, especially after you get nailed. Broken gear is dangerous gear, and won't protect you properly. Plate gear should withstand impact from baseballs without failing. A ball cracking plates in not acceptable. That shouldn't happen, and I'll bet Champion will offer to replace it. Don't cost nothin' to try.

Let us know what happens, please.

an update to my champion CP P200 warranty issue . i sent an email , and waited a couple days . no reply . so i called today , spoke to customer service and explained the issue . they said 90 days warranty , no exceptions, no how ,no way, period , good night now:WTF!!!! i spoke to two different people and iam S O L . they wouldnt sell me another , at a discount . because they dont sell consumer direct . so there u have it :cool2: . btw i went to there company site which is where i got the email and # to contact . i also viewed the 2010 catalog , this style CP now has rivets attaching the hardshell , instead of a velcro system , which is what i have . otherwise looks the same in the photo . does yours have rivets or velcro ?

d62 blue

an update to my champion CP P200 warranty issue . i sent an email , and waited a couple days . no reply . so i called today , spoke to customer service and explained the issue . they said 90 days warranty , no exceptions, no how ,no way, period , good night now:WTF!!!! i spoke to two different people and iam S O L . they wouldnt sell me another , at a discount . because they dont sell consumer direct . so there u have it :cool2: . btw i went to there company site which is where i got the email and # to contact . i also viewed the 2010 catalog , this style CP now has rivets attaching the hardshell , instead of a velcro system , which is what i have . otherwise looks the same in the photo . does yours have rivets or velcro ?

d62 blue

Mine has the rivets...taken a few shots but nothing straight on, and haven't had anything go wrong with it. Still trying to figure out how to clean it :crazy:

The plastic and the pads on the Champion are both thinner than on the Wilsons. If you are going to do games where they're bringing it at 75 m.p.h. and over, the Champion may not be for you. Sure, it's a hard shell, and sure, it's a bargain, but that's because it's not that good.

According to what?:shrug:

I'm not denying the above, ....but I'm not going to agree with it either. Why? Because no one really knows.

I come from/have worked in an engineering community for 15+ years, and in that time I've learned the following: show me the numbers, then we can have a true comparison and have facts that something doesn't compare to another.

I'll agree that the padding isn't as thick as the Wilsons, but the plastic plates aren't either? Anyone take a caliper or micrometer to these CPs? ;) If so, or if there's info out there, ....share it!:nod:

D62's issue sucks, and it's unfortunate, but it's the only one we've heard of so far. And, if you look around, there are plenty using this CP and are very happy so far.

My point is this: No one has numbers on ANY CP, whether the pros wear it or not. So at this point, ....no one can say which CP is better or worse, or, not that good. :lookup

I'm not being a jerk, ...just stating the facts:angel4:

Thunderheads brings me to a good point there is virtually no scientific testing done across brands and products to rate chest protectors. We all have theories and reasons for the theories. Unfortunately we are such a small market nobody wants to put the time effort and expense into substantial testing.

Thunderheads brings me to a good point there is virtually no scientific testing done across brands and products to rate chest protectors. We all have theories and reasons for the theories. Unfortunately we are such a small market nobody wants to put the time effort and expense into substantial testing.

Warren, thanks for that, because that is basically my entire point, and it wasn't directed at Kevin Finnerty in any way, but I wanted to use his post as a starting point ......(no harm no foul KF :nod: )

Again, the pros, facing 95++ mph are wearing an endorsed product my MLB, designed and patented by Joe West, made by Wilson, ....and at the end of the day, ...there is NOTHING backing it ...it's rather odd when you think about it!:lookup:shrug:

According to what?:shrug:

I'm not denying the above, ....but I'm not going to agree with it either. Why? Because no one really knows.

I come from/have worked in an engineering community for 15+ years, and in that time I've learned the following: show me the numbers, then we can have a true comparison and have facts that something doesn't compare to another.

I'll agree that the padding isn't as thick as the Wilsons, but the plastic plates aren't either? Anyone take a caliper or micrometer to these CPs? ;) If so, or if there's info out there, ....share it!:nod:

D62's issue sucks, and it's unfortunate, but it's the only one we've heard of so far. And, if you look around, there are plenty using this CP and are very happy so far.

My point is this: No one has numbers on ANY CP, whether the pros wear it or not. So at this point, ....no one can say which CP is better or worse, or, not that good. :lookup

Truly, all I've ever done is check these things out.

I eyeballed 'em, baby. That's how I determine size and thickness. It's worked pretty well so far.

Sounds like we need to get a team on it, pronto!

Actually DD, there is ......I can't say anything, but .....I'm going to say that maybe by World Series time, we may be hearing of testing for chest protectors in more than just baseball, etc, ...so, ....trust me, others can back me on this too, ...there's a LOT going on right now regarding this ....

According to what?:nod:

I'll agree that the padding isn't as thick as the Wilsons, but the plastic plates aren't either? Anyone take a caliper or micrometer to these CPs? ;) If so, or if there's info out there, ....share it!;)

My point is this: No one has numbers on ANY CP, whether the pros wear it or not. So at this point, ....no one can say which CP is better or worse, or, not that good. :shrug:

FYI , on the midwestump.blogspot (think thats right) he tested four CP , one was the champion P200 . his review was very favorable for the P200. an interesting fact he made was that the wilson platnium measures 1.25 " total thickness , and the P200 measured 1.4 " thickness . small differences no doubt . i dont believe he measured plastic plate thickness . but total CP thickness . as far as i know this is the only un-biased testing that i have read anywhere . BTW he also gives the on-line site for the best price on the P200 . maybe i just took the 1in100,000 shot just in the right place to cause the "dent" and small crack . we wouldnt be having this talk if the catcher had did his job :no: . you know, use the mitt to catch :lookup

d62 blue