Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5535 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I got my Endurance Pad (not the vest) from the company today. It came with 2 straps with velcro on each end. One arond the neck, one around the back.

This is a link a picture from the company. The one I got says Endurance on it. The literature that came with it says it is the Cool Catcher.

http://www.ritetempa...rmancepad.shtml

Got the cap cooler too.

3 blues went down yesterday at the state tournament in ft dodge, ia.

I am working 2 games wednesday and 2 thursday.

I will let you know how it works.

Posted

I got my Endurance Pad (not the vest) from the company today. It came with 2 straps with velcro on each end. One arond the neck, one around the back.

This is a link a picture from the company. The one I got says Endurance on it. The literature that came with it says it is the Cool Catcher.

http://www.ritetempa...rmancepad.shtml

Got the cap cooler too.

3 blues went down yesterday at the state tournament in ft dodge, ia.

I am working 2 games wednesday and 2 thursday.

I will let you know how it works.

Please do, I'm intrigued by the strap design.

Posted

I got my Endurance Pad (not the vest) from the company today. It came with 2 straps with velcro on each end. One arond the neck, one around the back.

This is a link a picture from the company. The one I got says Endurance on it. The literature that came with it says it is the Cool Catcher.

http://www.ritetempa...rmancepad.shtml

Got the cap cooler too.

3 blues went down yesterday at the state tournament in ft dodge, ia.

I am working 2 games wednesday and 2 thursday.

I will let you know how it works.

So how much does this cost and where do you get it from? I tried to find it on there website but didnt see anything.

Posted

I got my Endurance Pad (not the vest) from the company today. It came with 2 straps with velcro on each end. One arond the neck, one around the back.

This is a link a picture from the company. The one I got says Endurance on it. The literature that came with it says it is the Cool Catcher.

http://www.ritetempa...rmancepad.shtml

Got the cap cooler too.

3 blues went down yesterday at the state tournament in ft dodge, ia.

I am working 2 games wednesday and 2 thursday.

I will let you know how it works.

So how much does this cost and where do you get it from? I tried to find it on there website but didnt see anything.

Right now, gerrydavis.com has them. They're somewhat expensive, but work one game with them and you'll see the difference.

Good luck!

Posted

Ft Dodge, IA yesterday, 96 degrees, very humid, heat index at 115. Those are tough conditions for working the bases and miserable and dangerous in full gear behind the plate.

We had 3 blues go down monday. Lost 2 yesterday.

I put the pad in the refridgerator over night and transported it in a cooler with an ice pack. the liquid freezes at 70 degrees. It was frozen solid when I strapped it on and geared up to work the plate.

90 minute game and it was still 40 percent solid at the end and still cool, so it was at most 70 degrees. It felt cold under my chest protector the entire game, kept my core temp under control.

I was hot but I never struggled.

The cap cooler was done after 2 innings (black cap). could have recharged it between innings but just got rid of it.

I had my partner wear it behind the plate for our second game and he had the same positive review.

Headed back today for 2 more games. Forecast is for 84 degrees. If I work the plate I will wear it again.

Pad and 2 day FedEx was around $100. Cap Cooler was a free item with my order.

Posted

Ft Dodge, IA yesterday, 96 degrees, very humid, heat index at 115. Those are tough conditions for working the bases and miserable and dangerous in full gear behind the plate.

We had 3 blues go down monday. Lost 2 yesterday.

I put the pad in the refridgerator over night and transported it in a cooler with an ice pack. the liquid freezes at 70 degrees. It was frozen solid when I strapped it on and geared up to work the plate.

90 minute game and it was still 40 percent solid at the end and still cool, so it was at most 70 degrees. It felt cold under my chest protector the entire game, kept my core temp under control.

I was hot but I never struggled.

The cap cooler was done after 2 innings (black cap). could have recharged it between innings but just got rid of it.

I had my partner wear it behind the plate for our second game and he had the same positive review.

Headed back today for 2 more games. Forecast is for 84 degrees. If I work the plate I will wear it again.

Pad and 2 day FedEx was around $100. Cap Cooler was a free item with my order.

Where did you get yours?

Posted

Don't come to Southern California to Umpire.

If you think 90 is hot, come on out when we are well over 100 and these things would melt before you got to the field.

The key thing to tolerating heat is drinking Water, Water, Water, Water, oh did I say Water.

A wash cloth in the cooler.

A spray bottle with some cool water.

Oh did I say Water.:question1:

Posted

I keep hearing guys say..."if you think that is hot, don't come____to work 'cause it's __degrees here"

Heat is a relative issue. If you are accustomed to working in 90-95 degrees on a regular basis...96-98 may not be a huge issue. If you are accustomed to working in 90-93 then the 96-98 may be an issue. I have seen guys go down in 85 degree weather early in the season...especially if it's real humid...they have not adapted to working at that temp. Almost no matter where you are in July and August..it's hot...for your area.

Bottom line is take care of yourself. The majority of guys go down because of a combination of things:

out of shape

Poor hydration

poor overall health

medications

etc...

If you know your going to be in the heat on the weekend...don't wait to get used to the heat on Saturday. Take Monday-Friday and get outside and adapt to the conditions...go for a walk in the late afternoon, lunch time or when you get home from work. Lay off the coffee, sodas, beer/alchohol...start drinking water on Wednesday and write it down, how much and when...you might be surprised at how little you drink thru the course of the day/week. While on the field don't wait to drink until you get thirsty...too late, sip water every half inning..or better yet, set a hydration plan before you hit the pads or the stick...I will drink __ bottles of water during this game...take that many with you + 1 more to be safe. When you finish the game...make sure your water is gone. I worked a tourney last weekend...while on the pads I set my goal as 8-20oz bottles of water and 2 sports drinks for a 7 inning no time limit game. That's a lot of water...I knew I needed it because I was just coming off my stick assignment...I had to rebuild my hydration level not only for that day but for the next. I walked off the field with half a bottle of water in my cooler. You have to plan your work and work your plan...

Posted

How was the cap cooler? Is it worth picking up, should I get 2 of them?

Slater: How much did you pay for your pad, was it a 2 pack? Is it the same pads Honigs sell? http://www.honigs.com/sub/8/A121

Posted

How was the cap cooler? Is it worth picking up, should I get 2 of them?

Slater: How much did you pay for your pad, was it a 2 pack? Is it the same pads Honigs sell? http://www.honigs.com/sub/8/A121

Yep, those are the ones and they're actually cheaper on Honigs too.

What...Honigs is cheaper you say???? :wow:

Posted

I have the first generation of the cool paks. They do not work as good as the new ones. I have been selling. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Posted

I keep hearing guys say..."if you think that is hot, don't come____to work 'cause it's __degrees here"

Heat is a relative issue. If you are accustomed to working in 90-95 degrees on a regular basis...96-98 may not be a huge issue. If you are accustomed to working in 90-93 then the 96-98 may be an issue. I have seen guys go down in 85 degree weather early in the season...especially if it's real humid...they have not adapted to working at that temp. Almost no matter where you are in July and August..it's hot...for your area.

Bottom line is take care of yourself. The majority of guys go down because of a combination of things:

out of shape

Poor hydration

poor overall health

medications

etc...

If you know your going to be in the heat on the weekend...don't wait to get used to the heat on Saturday. Take Monday-Friday and get outside and adapt to the conditions...go for a walk in the late afternoon, lunch time or when you get home from work. Lay off the coffee, sodas, beer/alchohol...start drinking water on Wednesday and write it down, how much and when...you might be surprised at how little you drink thru the course of the day/week. While on the field don't wait to drink until you get thirsty...too late, sip water every half inning..or better yet, set a hydration plan before you hit the pads or the stick...I will drink __ bottles of water during this game...take that many with you + 1 more to be safe. When you finish the game...make sure your water is gone. I worked a tourney last weekend...while on the pads I set my goal as 8-20oz bottles of water and 2 sports drinks for a 7 inning no time limit game. That's a lot of water...I knew I needed it because I was just coming off my stick assignment...I had to rebuild my hydration level not only for that day but for the next. I walked off the field with half a bottle of water in my cooler. You have to plan your work and work your plan...

i hope you didnt have a long car ride home!

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

I was told that they will sell to you directly if GD is sold out.

Not that it matters to Rite-Temp, but GD should ensure they keep a stock, then.

Posted

I was told that they will sell to you directly if GD is sold out.

Not that it matters to Rite-Temp, but GD should ensure they keep a stock, then.

I agree with you 100%...I feel like the person at GD isn't doing their job of keeping them in stock if Rite Temp has them in stock.

I've had an order in with them since July 20th with weekly emails to check the status.

They are good about responding to my emails, but bad about having the product in stock.

Jax, did you have any luck w/ Rite Temp directly?

Posted

I know summer is close to wrapping up but just thought of adding something.

The vest coolers are very nice and indeed add much needed comfort, however from a heat safety standpoint they are not the most efficient cooling systems you could be using. We all know that best ways to cool down in a hurry is to cool your neck, this is due to the fact that we have major blood vessels (carotid artery) which are very close to the surface of our skin in this area of our body. If you cool down your neck you are getting the biggest "bang for your buck" with all the blood that you're able to cool in a relatively short time.

I say all this because you can find a simple neck wrap for $10-$15 just about anywhere. Dunk them in water and wrap your neck. They come in black and worn with a shirt and mask would be hard to see, or you could at least wear them between innings. I grew up in a part of the world where 120f was normal and now live in north Texas (and work outside for a living wearing 30 pounds of gear everyday), it's hot, umpires are a highly susceptible group. Please take precautions. And of course drink water and avoid caffeine and alcohol, both of which dehydrate you.

Sorry for the rant, just want everyone to be safe out there so we don't have anymore falling out due to heat related issues.

Posted

I was told that they will sell to you directly if GD is sold out.

Not that it matters to Rite-Temp, but GD should ensure they keep a stock, then.

Jax, did you have any luck w/ Rite Temp directly?

I call them and they said they were running behind on orders.

Posted

I call them and they said they were running behind on orders.

Call back in November. They'll probably be 20% off.

×
×
  • Create New...