Plate stance

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5188 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have always worked from the box. For me, this has always felt natural. I get in the slot, squat at the knees until my eyes are at the top of the strike zone, my head is high and inside corner of the zone. I put my hands on the under side of my thighs and try to tuck my elbows to my torso. This is my stance.

I see guys on tv, had partners, or watch games where I see guys in the scissors, or have a modified box, or have their hands on their knees.

The ones I see on tv look so comfortable in their stance. I will try a different stance at home in the mirror but feel very uncomfortable. Once I get to a game, I am more worried about calling balls and strikes rather than try a new stance.

What do you all use, feel comfortable with, have tried and not liked, and for what reasons?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use the gerry davis stance. like you said i feel VERY comfortable working from this stance. i have used every stance trying to get comfortable the first time i tried the GD i just knew it was right for me.

on another note...this past weekend i started using the hammer on called strikes, i loved it! i've been pointing to the side from day one and have wanted to change but couldn't force myself until last weekend's showcase tourney.

Like Kyle, I use the box, for both baseball and softball. My first 2 years, I rested my elbows on my thighs, tucked in. Last year, I tried going to putting my hands on my knees but could never get comfortable with it. I tried for about 30 games. This year I went back to tucking my arms in and resting them on my thighs. In the first week of the season I took a dozen balls off of both hands, forearms and biceps (softball and baseball). I decided I must be doing something wrong. So I started putting my hands behind my back and I have not been hit in the arms or hands in over 80 plate games. As far as I can tell my zone has not changed.

I use the box stance as well. Very few people are doing the scissors any more. The theory is it gives you back issues and your weight is behind your head where if you are hit your body has less natural ability to absorb the hit and can cause injury. I put my hands on my thighs just above my shin guards ( I have triple knee). My thumbs are on the inside of my thigh and my fingers are on the outside. I keep my elbows back to keep from being hit. The top of my hands are exposed, and I have been hit a few times and it hurts, but I like being able to support my weight with my hands. I can do 3 plate games in a day if needed, and believeme I'm not volunteering. But I find it very comfortable and I am still very mobile to clear out for a catcher or get out from behind the plate to cover my responsibilities.

Hey all,

When I first started, I used the scissors. After one year, I quit doing that and went to in the slot, heal to toe. I tried to get to the top of the strike zone, but it seems like, at least in the LL that I do, the kids are a lot shorter than when I played.:) That plus being 6'4", made it kind of difficult.

I lock in by putting my slot hand on the top of my calf in a fist, or behind my thigh, depending on the age group I am calling. It not only locks me into a set height, it also helps protect that hand. My other hand is directly behind F2's back, not touching him, but to help gauge his movement.

Bigdog:cool:

Edited by Bigdog

Using the box is great. I get wider as the players get shorter. I have been umpiring so long that I no longer use a locking mechanism like I teach as a Little League instructor.

I try to line up my eyes with the black part on the inside of the plate. If the game that I am calling is 11-12 where the catcher is probably much shorter, I line up directly over his head. Usually I put my right hand on my right knee and my left hand behind my left knee with a right handed batter and reverse it with a lefty. If it is a good team playing such as tournament teams, I will put both hands on my knees and hope that the catcher cathes all pitches.

Use the box, starting with your left foot (for a RH batter) at the center of the catcher's butt, about 12 inches behind him/her. Your right foot will naturally set in a heel/toe position behind the batter. This puts you in a position to view the entire flight of the ball by simply moving your eyes. This is important. Body movement creates a perception change, and you generally do not see the pitch all the way to the mitt.

Positioning yourself here also reduces the number of foul balls that find your body. Most of these go straight back, and if you are positioned directly over the catcher, you are going to take a few in the mask every game. I haven't taken one in the mask yet this year, and I have done more than 100 games so far.

Use the box, starting with your left foot (for a RH batter) at the center of the catcher's butt, about 12 inches behind him/her. Your right foot will naturally set in a heel/toe position behind the batter. This puts you in a position to view the entire flight of the ball by simply moving your eyes. This is important. Body movement creates a perception change, and you generally do not see the pitch all the way to the mitt...

I think you have it backwards.

I'm going to be the odd man out here on this one. I have always used the scissors and as long as my knees and back are good I will continue to use it. I have always felt comfortable in this stance. I thought the same thing about the scissors as Ump in Chief does...people are not using it as much anymore..until I watched the College World Series. The majority of the games I was able to see had a PU using the scissors. I have tried other stances but always seem to gravitate back to what I was taught 20 years ago. It is easier to get into bad habits with the scissors and I must admit the Gerry Davis stance is very comfortable. However, I still go back to my "old school" ways.

For you guys that use the scissors, where are your arms? The umpires that I have seen in the last few years have their hands on their knees, but I remember seeing pictures of umpires that have their hands behind their back, old pictures. This is something that I have been intending to try but never have.

What's the Gerry Davis Stance? I'd be interested in trying different stances to find the one that's most comfortable for different levels of play.

Currently, I use the Slot Stance: Feet more than shoulder width apart, batter side foot one shoe length forward from the other foot. Eyes even with inside edge of the plate. To lock in, (calling 12U games) the insides of my elbows are behind my thighs, a little above the knee. This gets me down low for calling kiddie games from the top of kiddie strike zone, while being easy on the back and legs. To adjust the height of my stance, I'll move my feet either a few inches closer to raise it, or a few inches apart to lower it.

I am just trying this out, attaching a picture. Last night I had a small 'media' corp following me, ok...it was my wife but still. Anyway, here is what my plate stance looks like.

When I first looked at it I thought I might be a little high; however, this is where I am comfortable.

Let me know what you all think. Looking for any pointers!

post-69-129335328253_thumb.jpg

Looks good. I think this is a great way to learn by watching yourself. And get your media crew to video tape you if you can. My wife refuses to help me, she hates sports. I'll get her to tape me one day, but she usually has the kids while I'm at the ball field.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am just trying this out, attaching a picture. Last night I had a small 'media' corp following me, ok...it was my wife but still. Anyway, here is what my plate stance looks like.

When I first looked at it I thought I might be a little high; however, this is where I am comfortable.

Let me know what you all think. Looking for any pointers!

It's hard to tell from the image, Kyle, but it sort of looks like you're not far enough into the slot. Then again, the catcher may have slid over into it and cut you off. I'm also wondering what you're using as a physical lock-in mechanism. Your right hand appears to be free floating beneath your knee, and I can't see what your left hand is doing. Are you locking in with your left?

Tim.

It's hard to tell from the image, Kyle, but it sort of looks like you're not far enough into the slot. Then again, the catcher may have slid over into it and cut you off.

This particular game I was working around this catcher. They were working inside all day long. But you are correct, I too think I need to get more into the slot.

I'm also wondering what you're using as a physical lock-in mechanism. Your right hand appears to be free floating beneath your knee, and I can't see what your left hand is doing. Are you locking in with your left?

I have no lock-in mechanism. I had been relying on leg strength. I have discussed this with another member on the forum and he helped me realize that I start missing pitches(low/outside) because I am getting tired and my position is changing. I would gauge my head height by the top of the batters strike zone.

I am really wanting to get to a good clinic where someone can work with me, face to face; however, this is the nxt best thing!

Thanks for taking the time!

Kyle,

I'd like you to take a good look at this photograph. This is a picture I've posted on another forum that depicts the plate stance taught at the JEA. Notice how they guys in the picture are actually locking in with both arms. One by using the forearm, and the other with the hand on the knee. This is one of the most simplistic ways to lock yourself in so that you can maintain a proper head height from the first pitch of a game to the last. Give it a go and see what you think.

1140578566.jpg

Tim.

Thanks for posting the picture, Tim. I have seen this picture several times, mostly on the JEA website but also on the other site you posted it on. A few questions about the stance.

With this are you working the heel/toe in or are you standing square to F1?

What is the most important part to keep consistent? The width of your feet or just keeping your forearm in a consistent place?

This is the stance we were taught in our rookie clinics. It works fine and does lock you in well. In this stance you are heel toe and you of course would reverse your arm/feet position for lefty's. As for being square to the pitcher, if I recall correctly in the training we were told to have our shoulders square. That being said, a wise old veteren told me never have anything perfectly square. Since then I have followed his advice. I've never gotten dinged on an eval for it, but I'm not all cockeyed, just slightly askew. This would dispirse the blow of a hit slightly better. I had some photos of me behind the plate taken a while back and am looking forward to seeing them and sharing them with everybody and getting your feedback as sson as I get them.

There is a great video on eofficials.com by Steve Rippley. It's about 20 minutes long but gives great insight into working the plate.

Here is a link, you might need a membership:

https://www.eofficials.com/controlpages/video/wmp_video.aspx?Url=/ESO_Repository/Content/MHSAA/BaseballProject/segment3.wmv&ContentID=65025

• 2 weeks later...