Wearing glasses

Hackman61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4698 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey fellas,

I'm a very new/green umpire. Today I'm calling only my second game. I'm wondering how many of you wear glasses, not sun glasses, but prescription. Do you wear them under your mask or do you go with contacts? My eyes are ok without my glasses, I have bi-focals, and I called my first game with just sunglasses. I actually saw everything better than I thought. I also would like to know if you wore your glasses, doesn't that just seem to add fuel to the fire if you make a wrong call in some coaches opinion?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey fellas,

I'm a very new/green umpire. Today I'm calling only my second game. I'm wondering how many of you wear glasses, not sun glasses, but prescription. Do you wear them under your mask or do you go with contacts? My eyes are ok without my glasses, I have bi-focals, and I called my first game with just sunglasses. I actually saw everything better than I thought. I also would like to know if you wore your glasses, doesn't that just seem to add fuel to the fire if you make a wrong call in some coaches opinion?

Many good umpires in my area wear glasses, however, if you have contacts I'd recommend them. That said, if you wear glasses and anyone breathes a word about them, send them home immediately.

You guys are making me feel more comfortable about wearing them today. It's just a scrimmage game between a couple of teams that have played each other a few times this year and want a rematch. It's a good way for me to start getting some experience.

I wore contacts all the time up to a couple of years ago. I found that with my contacts in or my glasses on I couldn't read as it got darker. In work I always used reading glasses, but didn't like the idea of pulling glasses out on the field. I started with football wearing my glasses to the game, then baseball & softball. Over the last couple of years, I have almost totally eliminated contacts from all aspects. About the only time I wear them now is for wrestling. I found that the glasses got in the way when trying to look at a pin situation.

One coach made a comment on my glasses after a banger at third. He left for the parking lot soon after. Must have been something he said. lol

Before I had lasik done on my eyes, I always wore contacts. Like you I never really liked wearing glasses on the field. One thing I did do for really dusty/dry games is wear my perscription oakleys out on the field and no one ever knew differently. But I do see guys wear glasses on the field all the time.

Is it entrapment (baiting) if we stand on the foul line at the half inning and clean our glasses? :D

I worked a LL-Jr tournament game last night. I was PU. A very hot & humid night. by the 4th inning my glasses are getting all steamed up. Each half inning, I have to take off my glasses to let the "cooler" clear them. I was waiting for a comment, but none materialized. :shrug:

Is it entrapment (baiting) if we stand on the foul line at the half inning and clean our glasses? :D

I worked a LL-Jr tournament game last night. I was PU. A very hot & humid night. by the 4th inning my glasses are getting all steamed up. Each half inning, I have to take off my glasses to let the "cooler" clear them. I was waiting for a comment, but none materialized. :shrug:

I've worn glasses every game I've umpired over the past 12 years. I had one comment from a coach after a game was over. It was my first and only post game ejection.

a well known umpire -baiter from another site that Yawetag, Mike Taylor and I frequent, had a particular glasses story....after a close play he offered his glasses to the umpire, ........needless to say it was punching his first class ticket to the bus ride home......

I will have lasik one day.,......I've been wating for it for it for 25 years.....

I'll add to the list. I wear glasses and have had no problems. It might take an inning or two to learn to breathe so that you don't fog them up. I think it helped that I used to play paintball and was used to wearing a mask.

I have worn glasses for years and in the last few years bifocals. The only comment I ever got was to remove my sunglasses, I wear transitions, never a word about that they were prescription. He got away with it because he smiled when he said it and he was a known character.

Make sure you adjust your harness to allow taking your mask off without taking your glasses.

I have worn glasses for years and in the last few years bifocals. The only comment I ever got was to remove my sunglasses, I wear transitions, never a word about that they were prescription. He got away with it because he smiled when he said it and he was a known character.

Make sure you adjust your harness to allow taking your mask off without taking your glasses.

I wear transitions too, which is part of the reason I don't like them.

I'll add to the list. I've also worn glasses for every game I've ever done, bases or plate.

I wear Transitions tri-focals (got you all beat!) and found that if I do two things before each game, I don't even notice I've got them on.

1) Wear a sportsband to keep them in place. Not too tight, but tight enough so that what Mike mentioned above doesn't happen. (I keep a spare sportsband in my bag; it's that important to me)

2) Treat them w/an anti-fog product. It won't completely stop them from fogging, but severely reduces the amount of fogging and how long it takes them to fog up.

The only comment I've ever heard about my glasses was from a woman in the stands who, after I made a call on a play at the plate shouted, "Try making that call without your glasses next time!" I still have no idea what she meant by that.

The only other time it comes into play is at clinics, where I usually get one or more instructors asking me to 'remove my sunglasses' during soft-toss or cage work. I tell 'em, "OK, but I'll miss every call!"

I second the anti-fog on the glasses. Before you leave the house clean your glasses with cheap gin, best cleaner in the world. Once you get to the field, apply the anti-glare. I wear either a 6 or 8 seam hat which helps protect my glasses.

I second the anti-fog on the glasses. Before you leave the house clean your glasses with cheap gin, best cleaner in the world. Once you get to the field, apply the anti-glare. I wear either a 6 or 8 seam hat which helps protect my glasses.

Careful - Anti-fog and anti-glare are different products.

Never thought about cleaning them w/alcohol before leaving the house though. I hate gin; I hope vodka works.

Putting gin on your glasses? That explains A LOT!