Jump to content

ArchAngel72

Established Member
  • Posts

    1,828
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    11

Everything posted by ArchAngel72

  1. Plate meeting, I mention it to both so they are both aware.; That way no issues later if it happens, never had one LL coach say boo about it. To be honest its only happened once in 10U and no one cared when it happened as both coaches knew due to plate meeting that if the hood got hit, it was considered part of the Uni.
  2. Well LL does state Uniform also. I warn the coaches up front before the game of this as I am not going to try to make a judgement call on did that hit his hood and not his uniform shirt? Plus this only typically happens in fall ball and early spring ball. No one cares coaches wise and they always say yup roll with it. If a pitcher throws behind a batter close enough to hit that hood in LL and it hits that hood I'm just gonna say "time" take your base.. If a coach has an issue with it I will remind them of the talk we had before the game in regards of hitting a hoodie..
  3. It was not the initial play so it should have been a 2 base award and from time of throw I believe as its no longer the initial play edit I was wrong on the 3b its 2b award
  4. Outs do matter why no infield fly if F4 could have fielded it?
  5. Please Max I am not trying to argue with you I would like to see the rule on that assumption of toeing the rubber making it live again is all. Or is that something at your level you guys are told "this is the way" Again I am just a lowly LL umpire trying to "get it" yours humbly ArchAngel
  6. When it gets colder and the kids wear hoodies I tell the coaches if it hits a hoodie while they are at bat its part of the uni. But same goes if they tag a player on the hood its a tag How do the ladies play long pony tails and such in softball? If it hits that hair while at bat I assume they award 1b correct? if so why any different for a mans beard unless its in the zone.
  7. If I am looking up for a ball my mask is in my hand
  8. Yeah After I posted I went back and re-read it and had realized what you had said about the MLB umps and level specifically, I had understood what was said as backwards and noted that after. But one thing that catches me as odd. If MLB level guys do not point and play, why does a manager NOT protest and say hey the ball was never live again so that HR that XYZ just smoked off my pitcher was a non pitch and should be struck from the records.. because it was a foul, thus a dead ball just before that but no one said "play" /ponder
  9. Nope In LL we do not have a live ball until I gesture towards the mound and say "PLAY" Even on a foul ball for me its wait for batter and pitcher and catcher to be set "give count say play with gesture" If the pitcher starts his pitch prior to me saying play I am jumping out waving hands saying "No pitch No pitch" Why, cause I don't want a pitch being tossed until I know all the 10U kids that need to be paying attention ARE. *** correction I read that wrong.. I thought you were talking about non-MLB ups as to how the ball is assumed live.. disregard my post mostly LOL
  10. So I just think I figured out what I need to say to get you guys to realize the difference I am talking about The cheers go from a start of something that anyone would agree is a cheer or chant to about 3 or 4 10U boys screeching it so high pitched it hurts everyone around them ears, actually making others around them "wince" in pain. This is what I mean in distraction This is what I have observed and asked to stop. this is why I try to head it off at the pass and ask them to stop upon a pitcher coming set or getting ready to pitch cause then I don't have to worry about timmy johnny and chris annoying the other coach so bad HE says "Hey blue that's distracting my pitcher" which yah has happened.
  11. @BT_Blue I believe we are all wondering is , are you retiring? OR did you not umpire this year? Or are you taking next year off?
  12. Damn Back injuries SUCK.. they take their damn time in healing up too. Come back too soon and whoops your done another 4 weeks.
  13. DING DING DING winner winner chicken dinner I was not saying I called it that I was saying I had heard SOMEONE ELSE call it that. I then found it interesting that the story had that little paragraph I posted calling it a "Myth" I was kinda loling liking that part
  14. I believe I have heard this referred to as a "catchers balk". this is interesting though
  15. I mentioned it was.. I said there was screeching Also physics yes please lets think about this and the motive of the screeching pitcher catches ball from catcher, cheering starts, cheering ramps up to a screeching assault on the ears and stops as pitcher releases ball there is near silence as the ball sails towards the batter whom gets a "near silent crowd now moment" to get his head wrapped around the pitch and whether to swing or not. All the while the pitcher was working all thru his mechanics and delivery of the pitch with the assault on his ears and mind going on. Or are you saying the speed of sound is slower than the speed of a 10U's pitch? I mean Come on man, If the cheer stops upon release of the ball its subliminally obvious that hmm they are cheering for their batter BUT they are only cheering when the pitcher is working Not when HE/SHE IS.
  16. So if I am at 3rd base and I mention it to the base coach in the 1st inning. Hey coach make sure your cheers are for your players and not against the other teams pitcher and please make sure they are stopping the cheer for their batter when the pitcher is actually pitching. That is wrong? Cause in a lot of time this happens, even during the season and sometimes MUCH more. What happens is the teams cheering raises to without a doubt some screeching that is actual intent to distract the pitcher, WHICH IS AGAINST THE RULES. So if I do some preventative maintenance and mention it to the base coach early in the game and he gets them to stop cheering during the pitch and it never comes up again.. That's wrong? OK .. I'm gonna "whatever" this ... Yeah I will be a bad ump that way at the LL level... Just like we tell the kids don't be like CT and give the batter signs from second base... To me its about sportsmanship and being there to have fun. Yelling and screeching at the other teams pitcher does not fall under good sportsmanship to me. Slightly different thing.. Had a coach on the last out of the game his team trailing he's in the 3rd base coaches box and his batter hits a slow roller to F1 from the 3B coaches box he times it and yells at the top of his lungs " THROW IT AWAY" at the pitcher. Whats the pitcher do, got scared and tossed it at the ground 5 feet in front of himself Mind you this is 10U I was not there but this is what I heard from the base ump who was on the game BR was called out on coaches interference. At which time the other teams Manager got onto the field and was yelling at that coach for being an unbelievable jerk. The coach that did the offending was a 6 foot 4 red head who then quick walked over to the other coach and belly bumped him. I do not know what was said back but the BU told me he at that point ran over and restrained the Base coach from doing anything else and asked him to leave the field as the game was over and reminded him he was there for the kids. So yeah this is the type of people we have to deal with, when this sort of stuff is happening. Oddly enough it was that same team with that same coach that was the one being screeched at.
  17. LL Rule.. Rule 2.00 Rule 2.00 defines the Infield Fly as, “a fair fly ball (not including a line drive or a bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second, and third bases are occupied before two are out. The pitcher, catcher, and any outfielder stationed in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.” It goes on to state that “[t]he ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of being caught or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul ball.”
  18. It does depend when the runner left the base. If they left prior to the catch than they can be out on appeal. If the shortstop caught the ball and then the runner drifted off then they need to be tagged out
  19. How am I wrong if I make a judgement that they are trying to distract the pitcher? How am I wrong if its obvious that since the cheer stops once the pitch is released that they are in fact only screaming louder to do what they can to distract the pitcher.
  20. https://umpire-empire.com/topic/73012-little-league-noise-and-chanting-rule/
  21. It typically ends up with a crescendo or shrieking when the pitcher is delivering So I nip it in the bud before it gets there as THAT is exactly what happened 3rd inning of the state finals on Sunday morning. the visiting team ramped up their cheer basically drowning out anything else on the field AND some of the kids were screeching. PU called time and stated that was enough I am sure it was hurting his ears. At that point its not a fun cheer its an intent to disrupt the pitcher and if you instruct the coaches to tell them to stop at the "SET" then later on in the game when they are getting louder BUT stopping when the pitcher starts his delivery then there is no complaining about it from the other bench, WHICH there has been at times. I also tell them during the season cheer for YOUR player to do well DO NOT cheer for the pitcher to "walk him walk him" I don't think of it as inconsistent. I think of it as preventative maintenance. Because if they are not doing it during the pitch Then I dont have to worry if they are actually trying to distract the pitcher or are they cheering on their batter. One thing for sure the cheer always dies when the pitcher releases the ball.. It never continues thru the batter swinging.. TO ME THAT IS on purpose and attempting to distract the pitcher SO I STOP IT STOP IT...
  22. I been doing my best to tell coaches all year. As Soon as they get to a SET position the cheer needs to stop. For he most part it only takes mentioning it once, State finals the PU stopped it in like the 3rd inning from the Home team they were really screeching during the pitcher delivering the ball.
  23. Ahhh P = Partner F = Fielder see I had it in my head P was player or position yep I need more coffee
  24. I was PU Thinking back on it more while I discuss it, IT IS possible as he was in a shallow C He may have been moving and missed the contact. I honestly looked for him when I saw it and thought HE saw it but He may still have been "coming about" after moving toward D
  25. That coach called time and went to the BU there and he then pointed to me.. WhIcH I FoUnD OdD but I was like meh I saw it and if he the BU wants my judgment on the issue then I will chat with the coach about it.
×
×
  • Create New...