Jump to content

Sut'n Blue

Established Member
  • Posts

    215
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Everything posted by Sut'n Blue

  1. Next time I start to feel like age is slowing me down, I'll take heart in the fact that I can still run down a turtle if it's interrupting a game.
  2. http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=964729183&sid=t463
  3. Never considered removing the sternum pad. I have wondered what benefit the pad gives (one would suppose all padding has a benefit and maybe the sternum pad reduces the chances of a reflection under the chin), but at the same time I'm curious as to how removing it would change the fit? Thank you.
  4. Experiment, I find that half strength Gatorade works better for me than just water or Gatorade alone. Throw some pickles in with your lunch, lots of electrolytes in them.
  5. Happened Today. Babe Ruth tournament game. The field is in the middle of a park that hosts tennis courts, a pavilion, etc. and it is not uncommon for a game to be stopped because someone is taking a shortcut along the perimeter of the outfield which is part fence, part trees, and part building. I'm plate and I vaguely hear someone yelling "Hey Blue, Hey Blue there's kids on the field." It took a couple seconds to register and I realized there was a woman and two young kids scrambling across far right field. I call time and look to the coach who had been yelling to me and say "Thanks, sorry it took me few seconds to catch on." He says "no problem, for a moment there I thought you were deaf". Deaf? I say to the coach (who, along everybody else who heard the exchange, laughed their a's off) "I've never had anyone accuse me of being deaf, they usually accuse me of being blind." Turned out to be a close, well-played game with good sportsmanship all around.
  6. This sounds like a perfect project for an outfit with a 3D printer (prototype only of course).
  7. I'm still struggling with OP. There was no tag, the umpire knew there was no tag, called the runner out anyway, and essentially admitted it to everyone? If GoodCall is working college ball he has a lot more experience than me but I don't see how intentionally making the wrong call and admitting it is Umpiring 101. I guess I have even more to learn than I thought.
  8. Cal Ripken 60 Ft. Baseball Division Special Base Running Rule: "When a pitcher is in contact with the pitcher’s plate and in possession of the ball and the catcher is in the catcher’s box ready to receive delivery of the ball, base runners shall not leave their bases until the ball has been delivered and has reached home plate. Once the catcher has secured the ball and the runner has stopped his forward progress, the runner must immediately return to the base."
  9. In Ripken runners can't leave their base until the ball reaches the plate. The rule then goes on to say: "Once the catcher has secured the ball and the runner has stopped his forward progress, the runner must immediately return to the base." The easy situation is the runner takes a few steps once the pitch reaches home, the catcher catches it, and the runner stops. Here the runner must go back to their base. But let's say, for example, the catcher throws down, can the runner then advance? What if the catcher overthrows the pitcher, the runner takes a few steps toward the next base and stops, does the runner have to return? What if the runner is stealing, the throw is errant, and the runner stops his or her progress to avoid being hit by the errant throw, should the runner have to go back? How about if the runner stops forward progress and the catcher doesn't catch the pitch? By the way, this is not a hypothetical question as these situations arose during a tournament this past weekend. The general consensus made it obvious there was no consensus. Some saying once the runner stops forward progress they have to return no matter what, others disagreeing for various reasons. Your thoughts, opinions, experiences, two cents, and general comments are welcome.
  10. What would you have with runners on?
  11. I don't know what size diamond LL majors plays on but if they're old enough to be playing on a ninety foot field, I'm calling R3 out for abandonment (not sure what to do about the assumption that R3 went into the dugout as it's possible someone brought his or her gear out to him or her, that being said, removing your helmet and putting on your hat and glove seems like abandonment to me). On a smaller field R3 returns and we play to the third out.
  12. Saw this at a 10U game where it was not an issue (relatively rural area where "So what, let the kids play." is the prevailing attitude (with some exceptions of course)). Lefty pitcher with a problem with his right arm (not an injury) such that he cannot use it much or wear a glove on it. To pitch he clenches his left handed glove in his right armpit and delivers. After he pitches he puts his left hand into his glove so he can catch with it. I'm curious as to how this would/should/might be handled at higher level ball where pitching regulations are strictly adhered to. Obviously, one hopes everybody would want this kid or anyone in his situation to be allowed to pitch but...... Your thoughts?
  13. Watching the rain come down with my friends Rocky Patel and Johnnie Walker.
  14. Sut'n Blue

    Mr

    Hi Rhm and welcome. With all due respect, I don't understand the situation or question as you describe it. If you can take another stab at it, I think you'll get some helpful answers so please don't be shy and re-phrase the question so it can be more easily understood.
  15. In the early days of "town ball" or "base ball" it seems the game was designed for almost all batters to put the ball in play. The batter would say where he wanted the pitch, high or low, and the game had been around for quite a while before balls and strikes meant much. Batters putting the ball in play makes for a more entertaining game. Whether or not it makes for a longer game is certainly open to discussion - that being said - put me down as one who thinks there are too many dingers in the game nowadays as I would rather see a batter try to beat it out for a double or triple than than take a stroll around the bases.
  16. Strikes are good. The benefit of the doubt goes to the pitcher on pitches close to the outside, pitches close to the inside to a lesser extent, and pitches close to being low. But, pitches close to being high go to the batter. Why? Because that seems to be what is expected and brings less grief.
  17. I'm wondering if there might be a possibility of combo shoes. Basically a steel toed base shoe with a detachable guard for over the foot that can be put on for working the plate.
  18. We're short of umpires and I've been working a good amount of games solo on the 90 foot diamond. Close plays at first are causing me to feel pretty uncomfortable. I'm pretty nimble so don't have a problem busting out but I don't feel like I'm getting a good look. Yes, I make it a point to get set and slow down my timing but I just can't find a way to get comfortable on these. When I bust out I clear to the left and loop toward the right. I'm wondering if I should be busting left and essentially stay on this path which is pretty much toward third base so as to get a better angle on the play at first. Throw in a soft toss to F3 which can't be heard and things get even worse. All input appreciated.
  19. Can you tell me where it says this is the preferred mechanic? I would like to read it. Thank you.
  20. Perfect from my perspective, must have been a lot of fun to see/call as an umpire. I'd take this over a routine play any day.
  21. The DFH I added to my chest protector was the best thing I've done in regard to my equipment. The harness on my dyna-lite mask let go today (I noticed during the game that some stitching was loose and darned if it didn't give way when I took it off after ringing up the last out of the game). I was wondering if I can replace it with one of these http://www.ebasesloaded.com/all-star-pro-delta-flex-face-mask-harness-fmh-pro.html?Attribute=BLACK&gclid=CI2noZLa2swCFQZZhgod1hUDbw Can I use one of these with the dyna-lite and if so does anybody have any experiences they're willing to share? Bottom line is I need a new mask harness, I used the search function but didn't find much, so I'm just wondering if there's a mask harness out there that compares to the upgrade when switching a CP to the DFH. Gracias.
  22. Did a search but didn't find much. I would appreciate hearing from folks who use yellow lensed glasses - prescription or not. I do very few games under the lights but am thinking about a pair for overcast days. I need prescription glasses (or contacts) so some input would be appreciated about how the yellow lenses do on those days with both sun and clouds. The only experience I have is ski goggles - the yellow is great when the light is bad or flat but when the sun comes out the yellow can be tough. Another concern is UV protection and as best I can tell contacts don't give much so I'd just as soon wear glasses and get the UV protection as my doctor has told me I have very early signs of cataracts. Many thanks.
  23. I tend to go into a scissor type stance. Works for me. I don't scissor at the plate though.
  24. Sut'n Blue

    Out of play

    Looking at the bright side, when a coach says it's one plus one he or she has at least advanced beyond "one base on an overthrow." Though one plus one is not the rule it is usually the outcome so to a certain extent it is a distinction without a difference which will likely keep this rule myth alive for a long, long time.
×
×
  • Create New...