Jump to content

TStokes97

Inactive
  • Posts

    339
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by TStokes97

  1. They do pay 2 in this age group but we have too many games that day
  2. TStokes97

    Annoyed

    Thats a fair point,
  3. TStokes97

    Annoyed

    Where us young umpires wind up on the scale depends on 2 things, what we are taught but more importantly work ethic too many of us you umps half @$$ the job and expect to go somewhere, the only reason I get the respect I do as a younger ump is because I work my tail off, coaches and my partners respect me because I put in 110% but to some of my fellow young umps they would rather do as little as they can and still be paid, they don't value the respect if coaches, parents, players, and colleagues enough to work hard and I cant stand them because they give all young umps a bad wrap, even though plenty of us work our tails off
  4. Yes in USA thats true every where else ounces are the drug measurement(sarcasm)
  5. That last part sounds cool, half out umps are rednecks so that would be an entertaining bbq to be at
  6. One would think that in HS the catchers are old enough to have a vested interest in wearing the cup . . ..From what I over hear from my schools players when they are talking at lunch, they think it shows they have balls by risking losing um, its a strange thing now my peers at school think taking massive saftey risks will earn them respect, its just odd
  7. In your example, I'd have that as close enough. It's going to come down to judgment, and I have never seen any guidelines to tell us what is close enough. I'd give the benefit of the doubt to the defense--if he could make a play at where he was playing, it's fine. Probably a little bit more than that.I'd say if the fielder was in a place to make a play if the throw was thrown where he is positioned at the time of the throw, or if he was moving to the bag for the throw
  8. TStokes97

    Annoyed

    I will admit one thing of the 10 youth umps we had in my first year 3 of us still work,
  9. TStokes97

    Manager Threats

    My principals rock! Although its pretty much because I live in a district with lots of Dr's and lawyers so we have more funds to get better principals to come to our schools, thats how it works now i guess schools with lots of better off people have an advantage
  10. I say before games you tell the coaches it is MANDATORY for a catcher entering the field to wear a cup or the catcher and maybe the coach(if he knew the catcher was not wearing one) will be ejected for violating safety rules and procedures, or tell the kids mom to crack down or no grand kids will be coming her way that will work :) :) :)
  11. Yup. And if you got the version that had the body-clip, it can clip on just about anywhere. Take it a step further and mount it on one of any hundreds of different kinds of wristbands for it, and you've got yourself a watch. Take it another step further and get the Bluetooth module for it, and wear some bluetooth headphones and just let Johnny Cash* drown out the screams of young ballplayers, coaches, parents... * - Johnny Cash, the Umpire's Songwriter, because he always dressed in black. Plus if a coach is taking too long to end a mound trip jeopardy music could speed it up, or some umpire theme song for ejections,
  12. I agree with the above if the coach caused a safe play where otherwise HIS runner would be out then its different but hurting your own side by contacting the ball, then the BR is SOL
  13. You buy it you will love it, it has a "minor" draw back though, if you don't thighten it enough you look like you have a shoulder growthmy fix was to loosen mine.Mine pulled up, my "rolls" pushed it up so I had to tighten it, either way if your looking for affordable durable gear go with that cp and a rawlings mask they are cheap in price but great quality rolled into one by sweat shop laborers
  14. They have playoff's in teeball? Wow I can't imagine that here we dont even score teeball
  15. You buy it you will love it, it has a "minor" draw back though, if you don't thighten it enough you look like you have a shoulder growth
  16. I suggest the below it is a great value https://officiallysports.com/index.cfm?id=468&page=detail.
  17. The day I say no to one man is the day I get fired period
  18. Maybe he had planned a vasectomy later but wanted to cut the docter costs out of the equations
  19. I work local travel its $200 here to play and people struggle sometimes for that we lack funds and man power to double up in 10U
  20. I wouldn't go free but I don't ump for money I do it for fun its why I am willing to help one league which under pays, because their coaches make it fun really, they don't yell at umps, after a foul nearly hits them they fake limbo, after asking if they are properly equipped a coach yells "Cup Check!" Everyone hits them self and an assistant yells "ow!" Fakes falling over, they make it fun and pay me enough to buy gear and buy pizza now and again to thank my parents for driving, sure they dont pay as much as my other league but the game style is worth the cut
  21. Here we have 50 umps, 30 games daily we can't spare a 2nd for 10U its not feasible to send 2 as were not all available every night and its unnecessary we rarely have close plays maybe 1 per 3 games the one man can do it, at least in 10U but 12U or higher get 2 but sometimes 1 man is all we can send its sad, even worse though that the youngest ump(me) is the guy going solo for 12U its unfair to the players to overmatch umpires 10U is very different its easy for one guy, but 12U its much too difficult
  22. And that would mean getting canned by the 1 of 2 leagues/assignors I work for, and this one pays twice the other(I do that one because its coaches are very friendly, and they have issues finding umpires so I help them out)
  23. well our 10U we do alone because there is no stealing only goes on passed balls and most backstops are way to close to go then, there is no general "lack of umps" we have twice the number of games then usual and many are out of town, as for taking a paycheck from an umpire by doing one man in 10U leagued here would sooner go without umps then pay 2 for 10U then we all go out of work as for beer or in my case post game root beer here you shake hands say good work maybe if an umps young you exchange some advice no post game festivities here, unfortunately
  24. TStokes97

    Annoyed

    I wasn't assuming you ment all, I just added that in because I felt it should be said that many leagues have started to train their youth umps and the arrogent ones amoung us youngsters have been weeded out in some leagues, sorry if my comment upset you the intent was to note the implied variety of us young umps
  25. The bubble works in rec ball but I hate it only considered it in the hottest of games love my P200
×
×
  • Create New...