Jump to content

CricketChapman

Established Member
  • Posts

    202
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CricketChapman

  1. Okay. So I have examined all of this and it leads me to the following conclusion on non-IFF pop-up interference plays: In OBR, the runner is out. The ball is dead immediately and the batter-runner is awarded first base, regardless of if the ball is fair or foul (determined by its' landing or first touching). Is that correct? That's what I am getting from reading the Wendelstedt quotes. This is in disagreement with a CC play listed above (154-316). I would prefer to agree w/ Childress. Is there any additional authority supporting the position that on a non-IFF the ball should be left alive to determine fair/foul?
  2. Thank you, gentlemen. This is the authority I needed.
  3. Inspired by the recent post about an angry F2, I offer the following from a few years ago: 12U USSSA Tournament, elimination game. VT is the lowest seed after getting shellacked in pool play. Bottom 4, the score is 6-0 HT, R2. The score was 2-0 until the 4th, when HT started lighting up VT's F1 - the attitudes of the players were clearly deteriorating. BR hits a liner to F9 and he throws to the plate in an attempt to retire R2. The throw is perfect, F2 blocks the plate pretty well, and R2 slides into the tag just prior to touching home plate. Just as I am about to punch R2 out, F2 and I both notice the ball is laying on the ground. F2 then picks the ball up off the ground and shows it to me. I give a strong safe mechanic and a point at where the ball was laying, while verbalizing, "He's safe! The ball's on the ground." F2 rises up and starts yelling, "I tagged him out!! I tagged him out!!" I replied, "You dropped the ball during the tag." F2 says, "But I tagged him out!" I reply, "That's enough, catch" and after a brief moment, F2 screams "No way!" and slams the ball down so hard it rolls to the pitcher's mound. I ejected F2. VT HC sprints to the plate after this. He said the kid was just angry at himself, and I told VT HC that F2 was reacting to the call. VT HC then delivers this line: "That's bush league and you're terrible." VT HC was ejected. The next batter singled in the winning run and the game was over. ----------------- Was this handled pretty well? I am fairly certain, based on F2's tone and volume, as well as his histrionic slamming of the ball, that the ejection was appropriate without further warning. As for VT HC, is there a better response to the statement that the "kid was just angry at himself"?
  4. In OBR, there is a PBUC interp saying that the ball stays alive (in other words delayed dead).for coach assisting a runner. In Fed, 5-1-2f says that the play is delayed deadball. Any chance you can cite me the PBUC interp?
  5. While I believe Maven is 100% correct, what is the rule/interpretative reference to the play being a delayed dead ball? I've found nothing in OBR or MLBUM.
  6. In 11 years, I have never had it. Closest I've had is the following scenario (it's happened twice): Batting order is Able, Baker. Top of the 1st. Baker comes out to hit first; after the first pitch is taken for a strike/ball, the defensive manager jogs out thinking he is going to get an out. Nope. Both managers responded identically, "I guess they changed that rule recently."
  7. Granted MLBUM is not FED-related, but this is specifically covered under Interpretation #34 in MLBUM. In OBR, the appeal can still be made because no intervening play/attempted play has occured (and this is not "erring").
  8. If someone can simplify this, I'd appreciate it...This new rule looks so poorly designed and written. For once, FED and the youth leagues have done it better. Several problems that need resolution: (1) "If the catcher blocks the pathway of the runner in order to field a throw, and the umpire determines that the catcher could not have fielded the ball without blocking the pathway of the runner and that contact with the runner was unavoidable." Is this addressing the classic trainwreck? Or is this permitting the opportunity to block the plate if the throw is strictly right on the plate? (2) What happens when a catcher illegally blocks the plate, without the ball, and then the runner trucks him? Both have violated the rule. I am assuming the "malicious" hit supercedes the obstruction? (3) Replay will probably have to be used in a lot these. And I am going to guess this rule causes more issues than it resolves (in terms of ejections and arguments).
  9. Similar situation here - I have a wife, young daughter, and a second one due in a month. Unless there is a big tournament in town, I always block off Sundays so I can spend the entire day with my family. I usually do the same with a weeknight (usually Wednesday or Thursday) throughout the season. My supervisor does weekly assignments, so I always check with my wife's schedule before sending in my availability each week. Now, down the stretch (June-July), I may umpire 14-21 straight days. But my wife knows it is near the end of the season, and we will lose that extra income over the following couple months (umpiring is a great way to cover 3-4 bills each month).
  10. Gil, can you please check my registration went through? I didn't receive any confirmation. Username is CricketChapman.
  11. 9U Cal Ripken Regional Tournament; OBR-mod (no leadoffs, balks). R2, R1, no outs. I am BU. BR hits a fly ball to right field, R2 takes two steps toward third, F9 makes easy catch. R2 never re-touches and beats the throw to 3B standing up. Meanwhile, R1 tags up and advances to 2B. F5 is now holding the ball, and the entire dugout is yelling at him, "He left early! Throw to second; step on the base!" F5 complies, throws to F4, who steps on the base. I give an out mechanic with the right hand, point to R2 (who is standing on 3B) with the left hand, and say "He's out." Then, R1 (who is standing on 2B) begins to walk off the base toward the third-base dugout. F4 tags R1, and I bang R1 out for the triple play. I gave the point to R2 with the left hand because I wanted it to be clear to everyone who was out (remember, 9U); I believe R1 stepped off the bag because R1 thought R1 was out. Is this an appropriate mechanic given the situation? Or is it unnecessary? If this were a higher age group, I probably would not give this mechanic - I would only give an "out" mechanic.
  12. The title pretty much says it all... Pre-Ejection: 18U Babe Ruth (OBR); I am BU. Top 5, HT leads 10-7, R2, R1, 2 outs. HT #3 pitched the first few innings and several times displayed an unsporting attitude by shaking his head and mumbling under his breath. Ejection: BR hits a gapper to right center and R1 rounds second base on his way to third. R1 is clearly obstructed by #3 (playing F6), I call Obstruction, and it becomes irrelevant as R1 manages to score on the play anyways. F2 goes to visit F1 and "time" is called by PU. #3 addresses me and asks what I called. I tried to explain obstruction to #3 (his initial response: "He ran into me!"; other responses included "I wasn't near the baseline." (Just adding these to show #3's complete lack of knowledge on what obstruction is)). #3 quickly became frustrated and was not willing to listen to my explanation, so I attempted to end the conversation by saying, "But it's irrelevant, because R1 scored on the play." #3 responded negatively, so I calmly stated, "That's enough, #3. Let it go." I then turned to get into C position, when #3 said, "You've gotta be sh*tting me." #3 was then ejected. Post-Ejection: #3 stated, "What!?" I stated, "You know what you said. Go; get off the field." #3 left the field without any further dialogue. Thoughts? I could tell #3 had a poor attitude, and I tried to end the conversation quickly (but not rudely) because he was starting to argue (he was not interested in learning anything). The kid would not let it go; I found out after the game that this kid also was ejected last week.
  13. I am almost certain I have read a thread before on this (I could not find it in the search), but I need some quick authority (OBR, MLBUM, J/R, Wendelstadt) to back-up a call I made tonight. Sitch: 15U Babe Ruth tournament game - semifinal (OBR mod). HT batting, trailing 9-8, bases loaded, two outs. VT throws a batted ball around, R3 and R2 score, and R1 cruises in toward home without a throw. R1 misses HP, and R2 (who is standing at the edge of the dirt circle) says, "R1 - go back and touch home." R1 doesn't hear R2 and takes a couple steps toward the dugout. R2 then pushes (in a guiding manner) R1 in the back and says, "GO TOUCH HOME." I immediately banged R1 out for out 3 because of the physical assistance given by R2, and told the scorekeeper to score R3 and R2. Any cited authority would be appreciated.
  14. Babe Ruth follows OBR 7.10. See the OBR addendum to the CR/BR rulebook.
  15. Personal experience: I started umpiring in machine pitch Cal Ripken when I was 15. Ages 16-17, I exclusively did 9-10 Minors (the worst kid pitch league). At age 18, my assignor gave me the chance to do some travel ball and Majors games. By age 20, I was umpiring the 11U CR State Tournament Championship, and age 21, I was working MS games. This year (I am only 24), I worked the District semifinal and championship; I have never once argued with my assignor, and I always respect his choices. I have stuck by him because he gave me a chance when I was only 18 to work numerous competitive games, and has promoted me based on my performance, not my age. You have to give young guys (who show discipline, mechanics, hustle, and judgment) a shot. Let politics fly out the window. If a young umpire has shown his enthusiasm for the profession, see what he can do. One of my close friends was given this opportunity locally, decided to try Wendelstadt's School, and is now umpiring in MiLB at the ripe age of 22.
  16. 15U Babe Ruth (OBR Mod.) game this past Saturday. I'm BU. Pre-Ejection: VT F1 (#5) gave up 6 runs (we have a 6-run/inning limit local rule) in bot 3, and after the inning ended, he spiked the ball into the ground. His manager called him over over, and scolded him. I thought that'd be the end of F1's issues: the kid was pissed at himself, and he let it go. Bot 4, #5 is now at F6, and after the first batter doubles down the line, F6 angrily mumbles "Mother f...er" for no real reason. I say to him, "Chill out, #5. You spiked the ball earlier, now you're cursing for no reason; chill out." F6 responds, "You're right; I'm sorry. Sorry." His apology seemed sincere. I did not eject because the language was not loud enough for anyone else to hear, and when it comes to language, I tend to be more lenient on ages 13+ (unless they are directing it toward me, a call I made, or another player). Ejection: Top 6, VT leads by 8 runs, about 2 mins left on the game clock (game will end at 0:00). #5 is batting, and nails one to right center, and tries to stretch a double into a triple. The relay is perfect, and #5 is out by a good 10-15 feet. After he slides in, and I punch him out, he throws his helmet against the fence (20-25 feet away). I calmly eject him. Post-Ejection: The manager (who has been in the league for many years), asked me to briefly stay after the game. He did this once before 4-5 years ago when I tossed one of his kids, and the kid apologized. Sure enough, #5 comes up and apologizes. I explained to him that a lot of umpires would've ejected him after the "M F'r" usage, and that he was fortunate I gave him a warning. I told him he "wasted a second chance," and I had no option but to toss him when he threw his helmet, even if he was not pissed at me, personally. I only have one question for the U-E world: how do you handle the use of inappropriate language? My general philosophy is that 12U and under, any use is an ejection. For 13U+ (including MS V and HS JV/V), I am willing to give some ground if the language is not directive. I know that some umpires in my association will auto-eject, no matter the age. The "best" example of this I can think of: 17U game, 2 summers ago, I am BU. Excellent ball; many of the HT players were on the local HS team that went to State that season. F1-F2 got crossed, and F2 caught an 88-90 mph fastball in a weird manner. F2 immediately falls to the ground. Manager comes out to F2, and PU tosses someone. Then Manager starts arguing with PU about "he wasn't talking to you! Or to anyone!" PU eventually tosses Manager. After the inning, I asked PU what happened. PU stated that when Manager came out, F2 told the manager that his thumb "Is f*cking killing me." PU tossed F2 for use of the F-word, and that's what caused Manager to go off.
  17. It really depends on how/what the argument is about, where it takes place, how loud it is, and what age the kids are. Based on OP, I believe the proper action was taken. I once had opposing managers (in a 10U USSSA Tourney game) argue loudly between innings, right out in front of the plate, throwing around words/phrases like, "I'll kick your a$$," and "A$$hole." When the feuding came to a stop (I wasn't about to interrupt this heated exchange), I calmly ejected them both. One coach repsonds (like a 5 year old), "But he started it!"...I still laugh about it to this day.
  18. "What is your problem? That was unnecessary!" Adios. "That's not an appropriate reaction at all. You need to calm down. We're supposed to be adults here." Hasta manana. You just allowed this guy the opportunity to tell you that YOU have a problem, that YOU are overreacting, and that YOU are childish. What are YOU waiting for? Oh well, you've got to live and learn. I thought you handled the kid ejection appropriately.
  19. Following up on Rich, in FED you probably have OBS; in OBR, it's more than likely nothing.
  20. To correct two misconceptions: while I am young (24), I am a veteran umpire (10 years). I do not do these 9-10Minors games very often (usually working travel/school games), which is why I had not encountered this HC before. As a couple posters noted, I am sure this guy thought I was just some bumbling newbie who he could take advantage of. I also serve on the Board of Directors for my league - it's my job to facilitate communications between the league and umpires (among other responsibilities). Thus, I wanted to "investigate" before I discussed this HC with the Director in charge of the age group. Needless to say, all the information in OP has now been shared with that Director.
  21. Disclaimer: This was a 9-10 Minors Cal Ripken game (OBR mod.); this is the lowest level (and poorest quality) of kid pitch in our area. My assignor told me before the game that HT HC had already caused problems with two other umpires, seemed to be picking on the younger umpires who usually work these games, and that HT HC called one umpire an "asshole," but quietly enough that the umpire could not hear it. The best part: my assignor's stepson plays on this guy's team. Thus, he assigned another veteran umpire and myself to this game - I was BU. Pre-Ejection: Top 1, HT HC voiced displeasure with a ball call (B did not swing; he was avoiding an inside pitch - again, these are 9-10 MINORS). HT HC responded sarcastically in the dugout after PU gave a quick and reasonable explanation. Between innings, coach began an argument with PU over the previous call. HT HC could not understand PU's explanation; PU gave me the "come here" sign, so I intervened and clarified. HT HC displayed little knowledge of OBR, implying at one point that it's a strike "when the bat crosses the plate." Note that this was an "argument," and not a "discussion" - HT HC's apparently started the argument with a question, but then continued on and on until I came over. Ejection: Bot 1, after BR grounded out for third out of inning, I jogged towards the backstop to get some water. At this point, HT HC loudly states to BR, "Don't worry, BR, you were WAY safe. WAY safe." I, standing 20-25 feet away, calmly state, "That's too loud, coach. Too loud." I figured this was a more appropriate action than issuing a formal warning/"that's enough" because I was unsure if HT HC was intending for me to hear it or if he was simply a loud speaker. HT HC responds, "I was talking to my player," and then, in a VERY aggressive and volatile tone (while pointing his finger toward me), "I wasn't talking to you; YOU'LL KNOW WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU." HT HC's comment was loud enough that parents/fans could hear it (as confirmed by my assignor). HT HC was then ejected. Post-Ejection: After a brief discussion, HT HC left the field but sat at the top of the stands. Play was paused as PU informed HT HC he needed to leave; HT HC responded that he was keeping score. PU informed HT HC someone else needed to do that now. HT HC then held-up play for roughly 2 mins while handing the scorepad off to a parent. HT ended up losing 17-2.
  22. Which District? I intern for the PD's Office in the 21st. ............................... This is an awesome thread; I am enjoying reading what others do for a living. I am a second-year law student. Between law school, interning, serving tables at Cracker Barrel, refereeing all-levels basketball (7-8s thru HS), umpiring, and being a dad/husband, life is pretty consuming. But that's the way I like it. During spring baseball, I usually umpire 2 nights (or afternoons, in the case of HS/MS games) per week and on Saturdays.
  23. http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13955023&c_id=mlb Similar play from a couple years ago...It's nearly impossible for this to happen and maintain a "continuous" motion.
  24. http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25907263&c_id=mlb So it looks as if, for interpretation purposes, throwing to third from the rubber is treated the same as throwing to first (in regards to throwing to the base).
  25. Agree with Rich and JM. In this case, two bases are awarded from the last base R legally acquired at the time of throw. Thus, R is awarded home.
×
×
  • Create New...