Jump to content

CricketChapman

Established Member
  • Posts

    202
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CricketChapman

  1. At this point, F1 can also step and throw directly to a base while in contact with the rubber, provided it is for the purpose of the appeal. F1 is not even required to step off once the ball is live again.
  2. Exact cite?
  3. This is a couple weeks old, but I was wondering exactly which provision of Chapter 8 (or FED, for that matter) would you cite for this balk. http://m.mlb.com/video/v33928193 If it doesn't work, look up "Julio Teheran Balk" on MLB Video.
  4. OBR - PBUC 6.9
  5. But where were the fielder's feet when he touched the ball? In fair or foul territory?
  6. Both PBUC and MLBUM list an example like this to show when a runner is being "played on:" "The Runner is obstructed as a fielder is making a direct throw to a base in an attempt to retire that runner." So, basically what Rich said in post #2.
  7. The sitch: OBR-mod. 18U; R3 and R1, 1 out. I am BU. BR drops a bunt on a squeeze play; the ball hits the front of the plate and bounces roughly 12-15 feet high, about 15 feet out in front of the plate, and somewhat near the 3BL. F2 and F1 converge on the ball and F2 snags it out of the air. F1, rather than pulling up, continues through toward 3BL. Sure enough, as F2 turns to attempt to tag R3, R3 collides with F1; R3 falls down and F2 tags him. My partner only gives an out signal. Immediately shouts of "INTERFERENCE!" ( ) ring from the offensive dugout. I did not say or mechanize anything. Before the offensive manager is even halfway out, my partner comes to me on his own. He says, "Was that obstruction?" I said, "I think so." We then went over the play, agreed, and awarded R3 home on Type A OBS. No argument from the defense. So, there are two reasons I did not make any sort of call during the play: 1) I was a bit stunned by how the play unfolded; and 2) It was my partner's call to make. So my question is: Is it appropriate for BU to immediately make an obstruction call on this play? Or should BU wait until the play is over and see if his partner comes to him?
  8. TOP. Straight from PBUC: "The time of pitch is defined as the moment the pitcher’s movements commit him to deliver the ball to the batter... A runner who advances while the pitcher is in contact with the rubber is considered to occupy the base last touched at the time the pitcher initiates his actual pitching motion to the batter. The pitching motion is defined as any movement which commits the pitcher to deliver the ball to the batter." Thus, in the "foul ball" scenario above, the runner must have actually acquired second base prior to the pitcher beginning his motion in order to remain on second base immediately following the foul.
  9. http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/58301-its-impossible-to-balk-to-second-base/ Watch the video in post #2.
  10. http://m.mlb.com/video/v33548697/?query=shields%2Bthrows Seems we have someone post a question about this play (well, something similar) in "Ask the Umpire" once every couple months. If link doesn't work, search "Shields throws" on MLB video and click the first clip.
  11. http://m.mlb.com/video/v33580777/?query=floyd Caught this one in live-time...No, Joe, Freddie did not do what he should have here. EDIT: If link is not working, search "Floyd" on MLB Video and click the second clip.
  12. Put another way: how can a runner score on this play, since he never advanced to home plate?
  13. Agree w/ the answer. I think OP meant "had rounded" when he said "around."
  14. That part confused me some. Is he in the set or the wind-up? Or by "wind up," do you mean starts his motion?
  15. Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth tournament play allows re-entry as follows (not verbatim): Sub re-entry is permitted in case of injury or ejection and all subs have been used. Selection of the re-entering sub is made by the opposing manager and the player who leaves because of the injury cannot return. p. 20, 2014 CR/BR Rulebook
  16. First one of the season...This guy was an idiot. I am PU. 18U rec ball, OBR-mod. VT batting, R2, 2 outs, 2-1 count. R2 stealing on the pitch and BR foul tips the pitch sharply and directly into F2's mitt. I give the appropriate visual mechanic and no verbal. F2 throws back to F1 and R2 starts jogging back to second base. HT's coaches start yelling, "Tag him!" and F2 throws to F6. F6 throws to F5 and R2 is out on the play at third. VT HC (coaching third) runs out to my partner and starts a discussion. Then HC heads my way, says, "You signaled foul tip!" while acting out my foul tip mechanic. I said, "Right, coach. It was a foul tip." HC turns to my partner and says, "See! It was a foul tip." I respond, "The ball is alive and in-play on a foul tip," and my partner said something similar. At this point, HC turns to my partner and says, "Well, he was safe anyways." I turn around and step away and my partner says, "We're not going to discuss that" and walks away. As HC passes me on the way back to the dugout, he says, "He was safe anyways and that's bullsh*t." HC was ejected. Post-Ejection: HC did not say another word. He briefly stopped in the dugout before making his way to the parking lot. HC met us walking out and tried to half-ass apologize after the game, but I walked away when I realized he was not being genuine. --------------------------------------------------------------------- VT HC's guide on how to get tossed: 1. Lose an argument because you don't know the rules 2. Question a judgment call because you're pissed you lost the first argument 3. Then use inappropriate language Add those three together, and I've got a winner!
  17. I read about numerous MC ejections here on U-E... but I've only had witnessed two MC ejections (I called one of them) in 11 seasons, and one of those was on a pick-off play at second.
  18. http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v33275529 Don't try to sneak a start/stop past Balkin' Bob! EDIT: Got it posted as a link; I will read UIC's post about embedding.
  19. CricketChapman

    Balk

    Not only is the application incorrect, the rules themselves are not relevant. For an act to be illegal under those rules, the purpose has to be delaying the game. Otherwise, any time a pitcher did his "bad" move with no intent of getting the runner, it would be illegal. I concur 100%. Just wanted to take an alternative approach.
  20. CricketChapman

    Balk

    2014 OBR 8.02© The pitcher shall not...Intentionally delay the game by throwing the ball to players other than the catcher, when the batter is in position, except in an attempt to retire a runner. PENALTY: If, after warning by the umpire, such delaying action is repeated, the pitcher shall be removed from the game. 8.05(h) If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when...The pitcher unnecessarily delays the game. Rule 8.05(h) Comment: Rule 8.05(h) shall not apply when a warning is given pursuant to Rule 8.02© (which prohibits intentional delay of a game by throwing to fielders not in an attempt to put a runner out). If a pitcher is ejected pursuant to Rule 8.02© for continuing to delay the game, the penalty in Rule 8.05(h) shall also apply. Rule 8.04 (which sets a time limit for a pitcher to deliver the ball when the bases are unoccupied) applies only when there are no runners on base. If those are the two rules you cite in support of your ruling, then you were incorrect in your application of those rules. A warning should have been given for delaying the game (per 8.02©), and no balk should have been called (per 8.05(h) Comment).
  21. CricketChapman

    Balk

    In response to all of this: First, J/R is probably the least persuasive secondary source available. Second, let me try a different approach: Why is the play described in OP a balk? Which Rule in Chapter 8 of OBR was violated?
  22. I started in machine pitch when I was 15 and although I did not eject anyone until age 18 (my very first travel game - how appropriate), I can assure you many coaches try to pressure or confuse young umpires. I also believe I had several opportunities to eject but did not do so because I wasn't exactly sure when a coach crossed the line. My ejections peaked from ages 18-21 - I think that's because I started to realize when ejections are deserved and appropriate (I also started doing more and more competitive games). I averaged around 5-7 ejections per season during that stretch. I am now 25 and finishing up my 11th season. I've ejected a total of 11 individuals the past 4 years (4 players, 4 coaches, and 3 fans who instigated a fight in the bleachers) and none so far this season. In fact, I've only issued one warning this year (*knock on wood). I think it works both ways - as you get older, you learn how to communicate better and handle situations better. But, at the same time, the coaches are far less likely to pressure or disrespect you because you are older.
  23. The answer to the OP is that R1 should be awarded 3B under OBR. Here is some relevant information from 2013 PBUC (verbatim to the MLBUM language above): 6.8 BALLS DEFLECTED OUT OF PLAY The Approved Ruling of Official Baseball Rule 7.05(h) provides that when a pitched ball deflects off the catcher and goes directly out of play, the award is one base from the time of the pitch. Likewise, when a throw from the pitcher while in contact with the rubber deflects off a fielder and goes directly out of play, the award is also one base. However, the Approved Ruling also provides that if the pitched ball (or ball thrown by the pitcher while in contact with the rubber) goes through or by the catcher (or fielder), remains on the playing field, and is subsequently kicked or deflected out of play, the award is two bases from the time of the pitch. The above rulings apply if the deflection is unintentional on the part of the fielder. If, in the judgment of the umpires, a fielder intentionally kicks or deflects any batted or thrown ball out of play, the award is two bases from the time the ball was kicked or deflected. The following list helps summarize awards when a ball is deflected out of play: If a pitched ball deflects off the catcher and goes directly out of play, the award is one base from the time of the pitch. If a ball thrown by the pitcher while in contact with the rubber deflects off a fielder and goes directly out of play, the award is one base from the time of the throw. If a pitched ball (or a ball thrown by the pitcher while in contact with the rubber) goes through or by the catcher (or fielder), remains on the playing field and is subsequently kicked or deflected out of play (unintentionally in either case), the award is two bases from the time of the pitch. This ruling applies without regard to whether or not the ball would have gone out of play had it not been kicked or deflected. (See the Approved Ruling to Official Baseball Rule 7.05(h).)
  24. In a whacky 15U Babe Ruth (OBR mod) game today, I had all of these occur. 1. R3. F2 throws behind R3 and R3 is caught in a rundown. After F5 throws back to F2, he stands still directly in the runner's basepath, forcing the runner to clearly deviate his path and run around F5. "Time! That's Obstruction! You (pointing at R3) score." 2. Bases Loaded. Grounder to F6's right and he tries to go to third for the force. The throw beats R2 by several steps, but F5 completely misses the catch and the ball rolls to the fence. F5 then looks at his glove (I suppose to see if he caught the ball), and R2 contacts F5 while trying to round third. "That's obstruction!" Inexplicably, R2 then just stops and starts walking toward home (I'm not sure if he was confused about the OBS or maybe he thought F5 caught the ball?). About halfway, everyone yells at him to run and he goes into a jog and then a sprint. The throw to F2 beats R2 by a good 15 feet and he the tag is applied for the out. "He's out." The hindrance at third was minimal (certainly OBS, however) and no protection was awarded since he was thrown at by 15 feet because of his own actions (See the Tejada play from the 2003 ALDS). 3. 2 strikes. BR fully swings at an inside pitch and the ball hits his hand and rolls 15-20 feet toward first in foul territory. "Time! That's a strike; the batter is out." I had to clarify that one to the manager, but he understood after a brief explanation; it also helped in determining HBP/Foul that BR immediately starting shaking his hand and saying "Ouch! Aww! Geez!" Just another day on the diamond.
  25. I'll contact my buddy in PBUC and he can have you come down and you can instruct the session on balks! Gladly!
×
×
  • Create New...