-
Posts
1,686 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
22
Everything posted by semper_fi_72
-
I think that is dangerous. IMHO What if assignor is unavailable and did not get the info? Never ASSUME. Once the 24 hour mark is meet the Schools Athletic Director should be contacting umpires first. We have way to many schools and members for Assignor to try to keep up with last minute changes. The ADs have access to Arbiter and have all the assigned umpire info also. I even had one game location changed this year at 8 am on game day because the home team field was covered with snow the night before. They moved it down out of the mountains and we had a 80 degree day at the site it was moved to.
-
I am in 4 Associations that use Arbiter. HS is usually assigned weeks in advance, unless it is a last minute change. In fact for 2011, first half of season will be assigned on Jan 31st. The other 2 are mostly self assigned and in 1 I am one of two assignors. Only have to assign games that are open or to move people around and make sure the talent is distribute well. USSSA games are usually assigned by 9PM on Wed night for the up coming weekend. If I am PU on the first game/s we are doing I contact partner on Thursday starting around noon. If partner is PU I give him until noon on Friday to contact me, before I take the lead. Meet 30 prior (min) in parking lot. For high school games: When assignment received, PU emails partner and exchange verify phone numbers and uniform for the game. With the new system for assignment I would email 1 week before game. PU calls partner 48 hours before game. PU calls AD at school day before the game for any additional information/requirements. Parking, do they need a W-9 (Take one with you anyway). PU contacts partner after that call, if necessary to pass on any additional info. Contact partner a couple of hours before game time to make sure there are no last minute problems. Meet min 30 minutes before game time. I hate being late and you will generally find me at the game site 1 hour before game time. If someone is not there, start blowing up their phone. In any case, for any game, if someone is not there 30 minutes before game time, start calling. If you are the one running late, CALL!!!!!!!!!!!! TEXT do something. Oh 1 final tip.....Program your partners phone numbers into your cell, then you can't say I left the paper I wrote your number on at home. Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance :D
-
Love it!!!!!! Only one angle shows he got the call right. Announcer all over it until the other rings in with, there is a replay that shows he was out.... Great call.
-
The pitch is disregard yes, but in Little League the pitch is still counted as a pitch and added to the Pitchers Pitch Count.
-
Working on the dish on a Adult Major Wood Bat game today. Mid way through the game a pitch comes in and is fouled back by the batter. The ball gets a part of the catchers glove and the inside part of his mask. The ball then comes back sharply and catches me in the Nutty Buddy. As the ball impacts the area my hands instinctively go to the area of impact. Next thing I know is I am holding the ball and giving it back to the catcher. He asks are you ok Blue. I said yep, I am fine thanks to my Nutty Buddy. Just wish we had that on video because it probably will never happen to me again. The offensive team was all yelling nice catch Blue. I settle in and give the count 2-2 Play. When the inning was over my partner came in and asked if I was OK. I said yep, I love my Nutty Buddy and so do the Boys. :question1:
-
Two Major Adult Wood Bat games today. Game #250 and 251 for 2010. Not sure if I can reach 300 before the year is up Either way I think it has been a good year. :question1:
-
Little Green Book Page 91 Junior/Senior/Big League Penalty ...neither a ball or a strike unless it is ball four (4). So the count on the batter may change. As far as if the pitch goes against the pitch count...Yes. If the pitcher delivers a pitch to a batter it counts. Same as it would count if they intentionally walked someone.
-
In OBR it is a pitch. If the batter was to get a hit; ie: Home Run. Are you going to nullify the Home Run. No!!!!! HR and 2 runs scored. The Balk is nullified. In Fed it is a immediate dead ball. No pitch and nothing can occur.
-
Ken Kyle is great with Jr Umps and has helped me with a league I am assisting with their Fall Ball season. Get the kids interested in umpiring. Provide them with a uniform. Conduct clinics and rule classes to teach them the proper mechanics and application of the rules. I am presently conducting 1 hour clinics of Tuesday nights and then they go out and work a Major LL Game. They have been doing great. This last week I had a 16year old work the Plate on a Jr game with me on the Bases. He did have some prior experience from last season. He definitely showed his ability and when the game was over I felt a real sense of accomplishment. He can work the bases or plate with me anytime for a LL Major or Jr game. Another way to increase your numbers is to contact other associations in your area, ie: High School and ask them to send out info that you are looking for umpires. We have done that through my HS Association and USSSA. Network, network and network some more.
-
Funny you mention wiffleball. Had a side arm F1 on Sunday who had nasty breakin balls. One batter asked me to check the ball because he thought it was a wiffleball. He pitched to 12 batters and only 2 got enough wood on it to do anything. Only one got a weak bloop hit.
-
I just got the two I ordered today. I ordered Medium. I also got my new WV Gold today. Put one on over it. Was a tight fit but will work. I don't think I will use them on the plate though. Primary for bases. Never need anything on plate here. Gear keeps you plenty warm.
-
Thanks for all the input both here in in private messages. After weighing all the factors I have ordered a All Star MVP2500 System 7 from Lesters. Think it will be just fine for my needs and will be a good first HSM. I can give it a good try out with fall ball and my adult league work and see if a HSM is truly for me. I even advised Ump-Attire I was going that way and was going to have to order from someone else since they did not stock it. I was then told that Jim has decided to start stocking that mask and they will have them in around December. After I get some games in under it I will post a review. Thanks to all my brothers for your assistance and advice. :banghead:
-
kdub You stated your a new umpire? One more thing you will need, as your progress, is to thicken your skin. When you ask questions on forums you may not always like the answers. Yes, I also just umpire in America and there are cultures and ethnic groups in America that read Right to Left. So perhaps before you make a statement "Everyone Reads Left to Right" right you should think about it. Our own government has decided that they would not vote to make English our official language, here in America. I have worked HS Games for a High School for the Deaf. If I indicated Balls and Strikes on the wrong hands, even if I verbalized the count, I would be in for a long day. So welcome to the Brotherhood of Umpires and start working on thickening up your skin. :givebeer:
-
Will take all input on all possibilities.
-
Be the Bus Driver :wow:
-
I haven't missed a pitch since....... Last Monday Night and it happened to be a pitch off the plate that I rang up a 3rd Strike on. :HS
-
I am up grading some equipment with my Fall Ball Money I already ordered a Wilson West Vest Gold from Ump-Attire Now I am considering ordering a Shock FX 2.0 Titanium. Do not know anyone who even has a helmet to try. My reason for possibly trying it: Did receive a mild concussion this year from a mask shot. A few fields have those over handing back stops that can cause fouls to come right back down on you. Been hit oh shoulders a couple of times but not my head yet. Knock on wood!!!!!! Never used a helmet so need some input here. One concern is I have about a 6 7/8 head and it says for size 7 and up. I have read the reviews etc that have already been posted. Just need a lil more nudge before I spend the money....lol Thanks in advance for all your input.
-
Plate Meeting We are not arguing balls and strikes!!!!!!! I wasn't there standing in his shoes behind the plate. So I am not going to question his call.
-
I think it has been cover several times. Balls on Left hand Strikes on Right hand. Umpiring 101. As far as the statement that everyone reads left to right. That is a very broad statement. There are cultures in the world that do read Right to Left. Sociology 101 So you were incorrect on both.
-
No Problem.
-
Don't know any leagues trying it. Can't make it work on diamonds set up for 60' (when there is a grass infield. Outfield grass would have to be removed to make infield deeper and mounds would have to be ripped out and move able mounds would have to be used. Leagues don't have the money and the municipalities that own the fields sure are not going to pay for the modifications either.
-
Even if you go thru the problem of converting the currencies and were to order from them, one thing to remember about ordering anything outside the U.S. to be shipped in. Before you actually receive your package you may have to pay import and custom fees and taxes before you finally get the package.
-
Never, never violate your integrity and ethics. By doing so on the field your reputation will suffer and could eventually cause you bigger legal problems. Rules are rules and you follow and enforce them. I would like to see your defense in a civil trial when you extend the time a game is suppose to be played and someone gets seriously injured. Who do you think they are coming after? If the umpire followed the rules, we would have never been in that situation and therefore I would have never been injured. Going to be tough to provide for your family then.
-
Question for those with Reebok plate shoes
semper_fi_72 replied to Mike Prince's topic in Umpire Equipment
I just lace them up as with any shoe. Once the laces are pulled tight, instead of tieing them they go thru the eyelets of the plate first and then tired. -
+1 It is the same material you would get if your attended the JEA. Highly recommended.
