Batting out of turn.. and the official scorekeeper

Guest Jim
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1863 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

So, the batting out of turn rule always confuses me anyway.. probably because it very rarely happens, but what are my responsibilities as the official scorekeeper?  Can I inform the teams?  Can I inform the umpire? Or do I have to wait to be asked?

Similarly, if I am the visiting scorekeeper (not the official scorekeeper) sitting in the stands, can I inform my manager if/when something like this happens? 

In what situations, can I notify either a manager or an umpire that there is a problem?

Thanks

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

10 answers to this question

Depends on what the manager wants to happen.

If he notifies before the batter enters the box or before the batter puts the ball in play, then you're switching out the batter for the correct one and assuming the current count.

If it's after the ball is in play, then the manager has until the next pitch to notify the umpire.

The best time (from a strategy standpoint, assuming it's against not-your-team) is to inform during the at-bat (so they're ready), but tell him not to say anything to the umpire until after the at-bat is over.

19 minutes ago, Guest Jim said:

Ok.. and the appropriate time for the manager to notify the umpire is...before/during/after the at bat?

The Defensive Manager may appeal whenever he chooses (before, during or after).  A wise manager understands the rule well enough to know when to appeal or not. 

Before or during the at bat, there is no penalty.  The improper batter sits down and the proper batter comes to the plate and assumes the existing count, if it is during the at bat.  Further, any runner's actions stand, such as SB or advancing on Balk/PB/WP). 

If the manager waits until the improper batter hits the ball (or otherwise becomes a runner - BB, U3K) then the manager has to decide if he wants the result of the play or not:

Option #1 is to appeal.  That nullifies the action of the improper batter's play (he is removed from the base or his out is nullified and the runner's return to where they were at the time of the pitch).  At that point the proper batter is called out and the next batter is the one who follows the proper batter. 

Option #2 is to say nothing to the umpire which lets the improper batter's play become official.  He cannot notify the umpire of the improper batter and ask for a choice, he has to make the appeal and accept the result of the appeal or keep quiet and accept the result of the improper batters at bat.  Once the next guy comes up and sees one pitch, there is no going back.

By rule 9.01(b)(2) the official scorekeeper does have one proactive duty to get involved in the game--

2019 OBR rule 9.01(b)(2) If the teams change sides before three men are put out, the Official Scorer shall immediately inform the umpire-in-chief of the mistake.

The official scorekeeper is otherwise directed not to insert himself into the game.

9.01(b)(4) The Official Scorer shall not call the attention of any umpire or of any member of either team to the fact that a player is batting out of turn.

4 hours ago, yawetag said:

Depends on what the manager wants to happen.

If he notifies before the batter enters the box or before the batter puts the ball in play, then you're switching out the batter for the correct one and assuming the current count.

If it's after the ball is in play, then the manager has until the next pitch to notify the umpire.

ANd if he waits until after the next pitch, it's too late.

It's the Goldilocks Principle -- the manager can appeal too early, too late, or just right.