WVG issues

eagle_12
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2570 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've got a WVG that I've had maybe 5 years, but only have worn 10 times, maybe. I just can't get to liking it. I've got the WVP that I love, but it's starting to get worn down, so I've been hoping to use the WVG more. 

My my issues are mainly these. I don't like the hard plastic in the middle neck area.  Seems to really stick out and my chin/throat hits it. Hurts a little, but mainly rises to just above an annoyance. WVP has that pad there.

Other issue is the bottom section folds under on me, and then the straps wrap around the bottom and then I'm adjusting all the time. It also then changes how it "rides" and pushes into my throat  

Have the force 3 harness on it, used to have the old Honigs K1 harness on it that was a slight early upgrade from the Wilson stock one. I know it needs to break in, but I've worked it over pretty good, folding the sections over and over again through the years, and store it "balled up".   

Just cant seem to like it. Took it off after 1.5 innings today during a rain delay. Any one run into things like this?  Do I just need to keep wearing and I'll get used to it?  Like I said my WVP is getting pretty nasty, look to alternate to extend each ones life cycle. 

You've got the wrong harness.  First off put the delta flex harness not the force 3 on the Gold and it won't move at all.  I have both the Gold and Platinum and have the delta flex on both.  Similar situations as you describe and it solved them.  The cps never moved and once adjusted they stay that way.  Just like your mask harness, put a little tape near the buckles on the strap ends for extra security to prevent possible strap loosening but they shouldn't.  Good luck.

The "Razzer" harness works really well too. I've got one on my Gold with TW pads and it does not move. Straps are a bit longer on Razzer's harness. And, he will customize it for you. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, celt62 said:

You've got the wrong harness.  First off put the delta flex harness not the force 3 on the Gold and it won't move at all.  I have both the Gold and Platinum and have the delta flex on both.  Similar situations as you describe and it solved them.  The cps never moved and once adjusted they stay that way.  Just like your mask harness, put a little tape near the buckles on the strap ends for extra security to prevent possible strap loosening but they shouldn't.  Good luck.

It's not the harness. I've had the stock, the Honigs, the delta-flex, and the force 3 all on it and it does it with all of them. 

It's doesn't move up and down, And the straps don't loosen. It the fact the straps shift under the outside padding of the protector rather then "riding" on the plates. 

My WV Gold came with a piece of nylon web sewn on the lower "wings" (the ones with no plates) that acts like a belt loop. I feed my harness straps under that and then secure the T-hooks. Never had a problem with the straps sliding underneath. If for some reason yours doesn't have them, it would be simple enough to make some and sew them on.

Some of the pictures I find online don't have that webbing. It does look like there is a piece of trim attached to the edge of the lower wings that would act in almost the same fashion. I can't say for sure without having one in my hands, though. Even if it is not what it appears to be, you could still fashion something easily enough.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Majordave said:

The "Razzer" harness works really well too. I've got one on my Gold with TW pads and it does not move. Straps are a bit longer on Razzer's harness. And, he will customize it for you. 

This is exactly what I was going to post. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, clawdad said:

My WV Gold came with a piece of nylon web sewn on the lower "wings" (the ones with no plates) that acts like a belt loop. I feed my harness straps under that and then secure the T-hooks. Never had a problem with the straps sliding underneath. If for some reason yours doesn't have them, it would be simple enough to make some and sew them on.

Some of the pictures I find online don't have that webbing. It does look like there is a piece of trim attached to the edge of the lower wings that would act in almost the same fashion. I can't say for sure without having one in my hands, though. Even if it is not what it appears to be, you could still fashion something easily enough.

I thought there are also a couple of loops on the padding of the platinum that the straps feed through as well.

2 hours ago, clawdad said:

Mine have those loops but they are on the lower side pad and run the whole length (3-4 inches) so there's a lot of play. Ump-attire pic has the side loops more akin to the WVP. Thinking I may just tack sew them down a little do make a smaller channel for the strap to run through. Maybe that will prevent the sliding underneath that lower outside pad.

Sometimes a CP just isn't right for you. I've worn 5 different ones over the years. I tried the Gold and didn't like it either. Wore a Platinum for about 3 years and it fit me pretty well but was a bit short and heavy for my liking. A buddy I often umpire with tried out the Platinum and hated it. I currently wear a Champion which I really like. Wore an old Honigs K1 for about 8 years and loved it too; it probably fit me better than any protector I've ever owned. We're all built differently. Sometimes it's trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I will say this about the WV models; for CP's that are so expensive they have the absolute worst harness systems on the market.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hawkman said:

I will say this about the WV models; for CP's that are so expensive they have the absolute worst harness systems on the market.

Agreed... Just bought a brand new one and that hard plastic circle is terrible.. plus, it's razor sharp!

12 hours ago, eagle_12 said:

Mine have those loops but they are on the lower side pad and run the whole length (3-4 inches) so there's a lot of play. Ump-attire pic has the side loops more akin to the WVP. Thinking I may just tack sew them down a little do make a smaller channel for the strap to run through. Maybe that will prevent the sliding underneath that lower outside pad.

That sounds like the ones on my WVG.  I actually cut them at the bottom, and stitched the bottom edge to the top.  That essentially made a loop about 2" to pass the strap through.  I also put the Force 3 harness on to replace the stock one.  Fits like a glove.

On 3/28/2017 at 8:28 PM, Hawkman said:

Sometimes a CP just isn't right for you. I've worn 5 different ones over the years. I tried the Gold and didn't like it either. Wore a Platinum for about 3 years and it fit me pretty well but was a bit short and heavy for my liking. A buddy I often umpire with tried out the Platinum and hated it. I currently wear a Champion which I really like. Wore an old Honigs K1 for about 8 years and loved it too; it probably fit me better than any protector I've ever owned. We're all built differently. Sometimes it's trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I will say this about the WV models; for CP's that are so expensive they have the absolute worst harness systems on the market.

You make a good point. Because we have different body types we need different vest. I sold my Force 3 and went back to the WVG-TW. It was just more comfortable for me. In the end you need Razzor's harness to make it not move. Pull the trigger.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:28 PM, Hawkman said:

"sometimes a CP just isn't right  for you" ....really good statement.....I've had a good many CP's over the years and they all had some great features..........but I'm still searching for the holy grail.....maybe hasn't even been invented yet.......

Until then, I use my personalized WV Plat for HS Varsity and above, and my +POS Zero G for anything sub varsity.