Nasty Fans

Stk004
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2557 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Some real nasty fans at a 16U doubleheader yesterday got me thinking; what's the nastiest comment(s) you guys have heard from beyond the fence? And none of this "I don't listen to the fans" BS, we all know you still hear it. :stir

Just on my last weekend of 12u tournaments:

"You should try using the batteries tonight"

"Having boobs must block being able to see a strike"

"You can remove your balls from your pocket now"

"You worthless c**t"

YAY for triple crown! I'll miss them 😢, yeah, not really.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I didn't have but a rare bad comment until this particular tournament, the SD's were absolutely worthless wooses. It was definitely the last time I will ever work for them.

So far this year:

"You're F***ing terrible"

(after he was ejected) "F*** off and suck my c***, you don't know what I've been through"

"You're F***ing brutal, brutal!"

"Let me tell you all the reasons why that was not a f***ing strike"

"My mother could put on the blue and do better, and she's 80"

"Blue, you couldn't tell the difference between the base and your a*s"

"I'll be waiting in the parking lot for you"

And probably some more that I can't recall off the top of my head.

2 hours ago, Tksjewelry said:

Just on my last weekend of 12u tournaments:

"You should try using the batteries tonight"

"Having boobs must block being able to see a strike"

"You can remove your balls from your pocket now"

"You worthless c**t"

YAY for triple crown! I'll miss them, yeah, not really.

I didn't have but a rare bad comment until this particular tournament, the SD's were absolutely worthless wooses. It was definitely the last time I will ever work for them.

That is absolutely vile and I would not continue any game unless those fans were removed. No authority behind the fence? Blah blah fishcakes...this is a prime example of a hostile work environment. No one would put up with fans calling them or their partner the n-word, this is the same thing. Disgusting.

• Like 12

Oh, I was on my way out the door both days as the SDs wouldnt throw anyone out. It's the first time I actually grabbed my cooler and walked off a field mid game. Partners were fantastic in handling that BS, especially the 15 year old kid I was working with one day. SDs were told we were walking off the field unless they handled it immediately and my partners pulled in coaches (and for every game after that on those days) and told them not only would they forfit, but formal complaints would be filed within their states sanctioning bodies (Utrip mostly) if any words even smelled remotely sexist or degrading. Honestly, the two partners that I had handled those situations so well that I couldn't say enough how proud I am to have them in our association. UIC is still handling it and several other big tourney directors plus a lot of guys I work with have reached out to me. The aftermath has just reinforced that I work for and with the best association in the business (to me at least)! I'm really going to miss these guys....

• Like 3

I'll throw out a good situation from another game during a concurrent tournament.

I was PU and tossed a coach for arguing balls and strikes. On his way out the door he yells, "go back to softball" so I say back "what was that sexist remark" and his AC rodeo clowns him off the field. We continue the game and his crowd starts screaming, I was assuming (not really listening) that they are yelling at me in retaliation for tossing their coach. Kid goes down swinging and their crowd is still loud so I look over, those southern mommas had that coach cornered and were letting him have it that whole time! Their crowd was funny the rest of the game and complimentary of us on our way out (even though they lost). Several parents sought out us in the parking lot and the site director to apologize for their coaches behavior. SD was ready to file a formal complaint with Utrip (cause he's awesome) against the coach but we agreed to let the mommas handle it, lol, as I was betting that was going to be way worse on him.

• Like 8

One of the worst things a coach said to me and my partner was at the plate meeting in an 11u travel game. My partner was a black man and when the VTHC walked up and we introduced ourselves, he looked at my partner and then at me and said (with a smirk on his face) "What is this??  Double minority night?"  I was stunned and so was my partner, but we quickly recovered and we both dumped him at the same time. He was actually mad at us. Once we submitted our report to the head of the league, he was suspended. 

• Like 3

@Tksjewelry and @Umpirechick1 I can't imagine the feelings going through your mind and heart at the time those remarks were made, but I applaud your resilience for not stooping to the level of the idiots.  If I had been a parent of one of the kids on those teams, I would have walked into the dugout, picked up my kid's gear, and walked out with them, and never looked back.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Last year I was doing a U12 girls softball tournament. It was supposed to be a friendly tournament. My partner was a 15 year old and it was his first year of umpiring. In the first game he was on the dish and the AC started on him, agreed he was a little erratic but not all that bad. Well this AC really started to get loud, so I said to him nicely "cut the kid some slack it's his first year." AC said look at his strike zone pitches are way outside. I replied they don't look that bad. AC says then you need glasses. Goodbye AC!!. They make it to the final I'm on the dish kid is BU. Some of his calls are a bit erratic again, but for both teams. Well don't you know they lose the game. I'm gathering up balls and signing the score sheet. The kid is gone and I meet him in the dressing area to post game him. I can tell he is really upset so I asked what is the matter. He said this POS AC yelled at him "you cost us that f**king game" while all the 11 & 12 year old girls from both teams were within earshot. I immediately got hold of the TD and told her what happened. I wish that I had heard him or the kid had tipped me off while we were still on the field. As it happened This tournament was in a town about 50 miles away from me but this team was in the town a couple of miles from me. I had done some baseball for them so I went to their UIC and reported this all to him. Needless to say this jerk's services were no longer required and he is gone.

• Like 4

This was either last summer or two summers ago. I was doing a one-man 10U travel game in my hometown. This story is really about coaches, players, and fans yelling at me, not just fans.

So here's the situation:

VT is at bat with a runner on second. It was early in the game, but I can't remember the exact inning. Ground ball to F6, R2 stays put on the base for this entire play, F6 overthrows F3 and the ball sails into the stands. I put my hands up, shout that the ball is out of play and award the runners second and home. VTHC come running onto the field shouting "He only gets third!" I informed him that the rule was two bases and that he needed to go back to the bench. He responded by shouting that the rule is in fact, "one base plus the base that the runner is headed to and since he never left second he only gets the one base." I told him that was not the rule, gave him a formal warning, and he stormed back to his bench.

After this incident, the team began to question every call I made. I was hearing it from the coaches and the fans. The coaches bitched about every single judgment call I made which sparked the fans to start yelling. Some of the things I heard from the stands included, "Get off your knees blue," "Don't quit your day job blue," "You are the worst umpire in the history of this sport," and "F*#K you." It was at this point that I stopped the game. When the parent dropped the f-bomb, the kids began laughing and joined in with things like "Yeah you suck blue," or "You're the worst."

I called time, went over to the VT's dugout and said very loudly towards the coaches and parents, "This stops now. This is a 10-year-old baseball game. You are all setting a terrible example for the kids. One more peep from this side of the field and the game is over." This worked and the game was finished. I was very nervous leaving the field, though. In fact, I purposely exited through the HT dugout and went the long way to get to my car.