Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 839 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Man, that's a tough one. Part of the ball does go behind the catcher's chest protector, but not the whole ball. However, it does "stick" there for a moment and he has to go up and grab it. I would have to say that yes, it did become lodged. I doubt I would be able to make that call from 100 feet away, however.

  • Like 1
Posted

What did they end up ruling?

Posted
3 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Man, that's a tough one. Part of the ball does go behind the catcher's chest protector, but not the whole ball. However, it does "stick" there for a moment and he has to go up and grab it. I would have to say that yes, it did become lodged. I doubt I would be able to make that call from 100 feet away, however.

Agree. Upon review....I think it's pretty clear that it's lodged. A bit harder in real time. It happens fast and you only have one look. 

  • Like 1
Posted

If we can't call it in real time, it's not lodged. 

What's the rationale for the lodged ball rule? It's actually to protect the defense. Don't punish them by overzealously calling it lodged.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
×
×
  • Create New...