Jen Pawol Ejects Confused Coach After Conflicting Calls

5 hours ago, Biscuit said:

I so this sometimes. It's pretty rare, but if I already have my mask on and the coach is right there and starts talking, in the interest of time, I'll pull out the book and take the change. It's pretty rare, but I've done it. It's kinda like taking the sunglasses off at the plate meeting (or anytime a coach talks to you). You can, I don't think it's bad, but it's not a requirement. Though, mask only stays on in very informal situations (or where I'm yelling at a dugout). 

Here's an example of where this could happen. Batter walks, next guy is coming to the plate. Coach wants to make a switch (running for the batter, pinch hitter, who knows). Making the switch is, IMO, easier if I don't take off the mask. So I grab my book, start working on the change. While I'm doing this, the coach comes down from third to make sure I have the switch. At this point, I have something in both hands, it's relaxed, I'm not taking off my mask. I'll confirm the switch with him, and then by the time I get back to the plate (3 or 4 steps), I'm ready. Yes, it's small, but injecting pace into games goes a looooooooong way.

On the same note, please, please get good at getting a ball to a catcher (or pitcher) quickly. The majority of foul balls are clearly foul and there is no play as soon as it comes off the bat. Catcher should be trained pretty quickly to be expecting the ball as soon as the previous (now dead, rip) ball is mercilessly bludgened. If he watches the foul ball for, and I'm not exaggerating, more than a second or two, I'm getting the pitcher's attention and throwing him a ball. 

Hmm, that went on a tangent... Point is, make your life easier by cutting unnecessary formalisms (sunglasses and, in some situations mask) if you want to and can do it without being disrespectful, and GET THE PITCHER A BALL. You'll be shocked how big a difference it'll make to your pace of play. I'm pretty convinced it's a part of why I don't have a ton of long games, because Heaven knows it isn't my shoebox strike zone.

This is my 30th year umpiring and have yet to have any complaints about wearing sunglasses at a plate meeting or talking to a coach. And sometimes, when having a burger, I'll put cheese on it. Because people do things differently, such as not taking the mask off when taking lineup changes. I don't want to be fiddling around with a lineup holder and pen in one hand and my mask in the other hand. And shoebox strike zone? Brother that's huge. You probably have half hour games.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Biscuit said:

I'll take it a step further. With no one on, if its much out of arms reach for the catcher, pitcher gets a new ball. Of catcher chases it, I'm throwing it back.

Anecdote from a friend: He was doing this. 14 yr old were giving him plenty of reps with passed ball after passed ball, he's handinf F2 a new one and on-deck getting the loose ball. But (see where this is going?) - they then have runners on base,  passed ball and catcher doesn't chase. F2 turns to PU to asks for a new one while everyone is running. 🤣

2 hours ago, Velho said:

Anecdote from a friend: He was doing this. 14 yr old were giving him plenty of reps with passed ball after passed ball, he's handinf F2 a new one and on-deck getting the loose ball. But (see where this is going?) - they then have runners on base,  passed ball and catcher doesn't chase. F2 turns to PU to asks for a new one while everyone is running. 🤣

You might not get pinched the first time, 2nd time, or third time...but eventually you're gonna get pinched.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

No, no, no ..... a thousand times ..... NO!   Keep that softball SH*# on the softball field! :no: 

Actually … other way around.  I was taught that on the baseball side with softball saying leave it on.  :shrug: