Where are all these Nike steels coming from on eBay?

wolfe_man
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 669 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Are these legit or a scam? All different sellers and locations, but I haven’t seen this many Nike steel masks in the last 10 years.

It seems odd that so many come up at once - not to mention that all of them are WAY overpriced.  I mean, we can get titanium ones for $300 shipped.

0E0AE44C-FA01-44AD-9606-F48666214EC4.jpeg

2 hours ago, boyinr said:

What is the difference between a Nike Steel and an Adidas steel?  Besides a color I can’t use?

Not much to be honest.  Just the Nike's have symmetrical ear-guards whereas the Adidas are usually not symmetrical at all.  One side always seems larger or at a different angle on the Adidas.

The Nike's have to have the vinyl stripped and then get a powder-coating.  So you're looking at $75 on top of the cost of the mask in most cases.

The bars are a bit thicker on the Nike as well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

The bars are a bit thicker on the Nike as well.

They’re the same Icon planform, but the differences are distinguishable. The asymmetry of the earguards is one, as you pointed out. The bar thickness is due to the Nike-built one using larger-diameter-but-thinner-walled hollow steel tubes. By contrast, the Adidas-built one uses a thinner-but-denser barely-hollow steel tube. 

Nike or not, there is no way on God’s green groomed ballfield that I’m paying anything more than $40 for a vinyl-dipped mask!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MadMax said:

Nike or not, there is no way on God’s green groomed ballfield that I’m paying anything more than $40 for a vinyl-dipped mask!

I know, right?

Especially now that Mike (our resident Nike titanium mask distributor) can sell us our choice of color Nike TI's for 3 bills!

• Like 3