Jump to content
  • 0

Hit by pitch


Guest Zweiss
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1981 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Zweiss
Posted

Pitcher is on the rubber and gets set. Batter then holds up his hand and asks for time. Umpire calls time and the batter starts backing out of the batters box and then gets hit by a pitch. Does he get first even though time was called?

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted
11 minutes ago, Guest Zweiss said:

Pitcher is on the rubber and gets set. Batter then holds up his hand and asks for time. Umpire calls time and the batter starts backing out of the batters box and then gets hit by a pitch. Does he get first even though time was called?

No.  Umpire called time.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

Because "Time" was called, the ball was dead. So, there was no pitch. The batter was simply hit by a throw made while the ball was dead. He was not hit by a pitch.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted
18 hours ago, Guest Zweiss said:

Pitcher is on the rubber and gets set. Batter then holds up his hand and asks for time. Umpire calls time and the batter starts backing out of the batters box and then gets hit by a pitch. Does he get first even though time was called?

And to be clear, "time", or the play being dead, does not absolve the pitcher of malicious conduct...if, for example, you determine that the pitcher threw the ball at the batter, perhaps out of frustration for asking for time.

So, though no HBP would be awarded, an ejection or warning are conceivable here.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

Sorry...I would also like to add...

Umpires must always be mindful of malicious contact and or acts. I would like to think we live in a world where when a batter is granted time, a pitcher would not throw at the batter. I also must acknowledge reality is reality and not what I "wish for the world". As I would with a live ball, if I deem a dead ball is being thrown with malicious intent at the hitter? That's an ejection.

It is also possible for a pitcher to simply hit a batter after time was called and...it's nothing. It's umpire judgement.

~Dawg

  • 0
Posted

Rather than attributing some malevolent intent to the pitcher I would think that this situation arises much more when the umpire grants time too late. If the pitcher has started his motion to pitch we should not be granting time. In fact, it even states that in the OBR rule book in its rule 5.04(b)(2) Comment—

Umpires will not call “Time” at the request of the batter or any member of his team once the pitcher has started his windup or has come to a set position even though the batter claims “dust in his eyes,” “steamed glasses,” “didn’t get the sign” or for any other cause.

  • 0
Posted
On 4/20/2021 at 10:14 PM, Senor Azul said:

Umpires will not call “Time” at the request of the batter or any member of his team once the pitcher has started his windup (I agree with that 100%) or has come to a set position even though the batter claims “dust in his eyes,” “steamed glasses,” “didn’t get the sign” or for any other cause. (I disagree with that). 

A great mentor of mine (one of many!!) once told me in our post game in the locker room that my strike zone was generally fine, but he could tell the couple of pitches I might have missed were because I was not in rhythm with the battery. Good batters are also in rhythm with the battery, sometimes by the 2nd time up, but always by the 3rd time up. If a pitcher comes set (3rd inning or later), and delays and looks at the base runner(s) more than once, and is set a couple/several seconds longer than normal—batter asks for time—I’m granting it—regardless of whether I believe the batter has dust in his eyes. The pitcher may have disrupted the batter’s rhythm with the battery’s rhythm. Touchette to the pitcher! But “Time!” for the batter. And if I’m in rhythm with the battery, I’ll always know when that happens.

So, that’s why I disagree with that.

  • 0
Posted
On 4/20/2021 at 11:14 PM, Senor Azul said:

Rather than attributing some malevolent intent to the pitcher I would think that this situation arises much more when the umpire grants time too late. If the pitcher has started his motion to pitch we should not be granting time. In fact, it even states that in the OBR rule book in its rule 5.04(b)(2) Comment—

Umpires will not call “Time” at the request of the batter or any member of his team once the pitcher has started his windup or has come to a set position even though the batter claims “dust in his eyes,” “steamed glasses,” “didn’t get the sign” or for any other cause.

Not sure who's attributing malevolent intent...I'm simply stating that IF, FOR EXAMPLE, the ump determines there was intent the play being dead doesn't absolve the pitcher.

×
×
  • Create New...